It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Hyperthyroidism+"feeling out of it"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
    FuzzyM
    (female)

FuzzyM HB User
    Unhappy Hyperthyroidism+"feeling out of it"

This summer I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, that was because I had talked to my doctor about always being tired, and how my mind was always feeling fuzzy. They did a blood test and said that I had hyperthyroidism so I got a pill for it, the doctor said that it would take about 2 weeks for the pill to kick in, I mean I do feel that I am not tired all the time, and my mind is not as fuzzy but, I didnít know if I should have told the doctor that I am also feeling out of it, as in I am not part of this world, as if I am leaving in a one big dream. I donít know how to explain it well, its like, I would go through the day and right when something happens it feels like I didnít do it or it was a dream as if I am not part of this world. I donít know if this makes sense. I also seem to have a memory problem I canít seem to remember a lot of things either long or short term. I would read but not remember it, I used to read one thing and remember it and I wouldnít have to read the book over and over again, like I am doing now. I canít remember my past or childhood that well, everything I do feels like itís a lie/dream, or itís a memory that someone put it in me. At first I thought that it was hyperthyroidism and after the medication I will feel my mind clear up and feel as if I am part of this world, but even after a month of medication I am still feeling ďout of itĒ so now I am thinking I should go to a psychologist but I wanted some advice first. Can someone, anyone explain to me what is happening. Is this normal, am I just over thinking this?
    P.S. I donít know when it started, and in a nutshell I don't feeling like doing anything as if it doesn't matter. I am a collage student, so you can tell it effects my school work a lot. And also i tend to sleep a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Hyperthyroidism+"feeling out of it"

Firstly get your ferritin (iron stores) and Vitamin D checked. These are often found to be low with people who have thyroid issues.

Secondly, get your doctor to test your adrenal function as there is a possibility that your adrenal glands are not producing sufficient of the hormone cortisol or maybe too much. Adrenal insufficieny symptoms are very much like thyroid symptoms and adrenal and thyroid issues often go hand in hand.

Don't let your doctor simply do one blood test first thing in the morning. They need to see what your cortisol levels are doing from early morning, throughout the day and late at night. I've heard there is a urine test which can be done, but most people do a saliva test at home, giving a saliva sample at eg: 6am, 12noon, 6pm and 10pm.

Your spacey, tired and unmovitavted feelings can be from low Vitamin d, low ferritin and adrenal issues. For more information take a look on the net and you will find loads of information on cortisol which you might identify with. If you haven't already, also check out the thyroid board as there are loads of people there in the same situation.

Good luck

ps: depending on what type of thyroid meds you are on, if it's meds for your T4 then you need to take all supplements well away from taking your meds, 4 hours later is most often recommended. If it's meds for your T3 then you don't need to wait to take supplements.

Last edited by Audrey-B; 09-29-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
    FuzzyM
    (female)

FuzzyM HB User
    Re: Hyperthyroidism+"feeling out of it"

wow thank you so much for this info. it really helps.. Audrey-B

Closed Thread