It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Blood test for Cushings?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
    Cakies
    (female)

Cakies HB User
    Blood test for Cushings?

Hi, I am having a blood test for cushings on Saturday. I was given 1 pill of 1mg ic DEXAMETHASONE to take at 11pm on friday night and I am then to have my blood drawn at 6 am saturday morning. I have never heard of this test for Cushings disease, can someone tell me how accurate it is? I was expecting a 24 hour urine test or the salivary swab test. I really want an accurate diagnosis because I believe I have early cushings, I have many symptoms, I have not had a period in a year, I have depression, recently occurring acne, I have fatigue, sleeplessness, weight gain(about 40 IBs in the last 7 months) and purple stretch marks. I had to fight with my doctor to be reffered to and endocrinologist to be tested for cushings. She said "You are not fat enough to have cushings, just go on a diet" I have not changed a thing about my diet and exocize patterns, which are perfectly sound as they are, there is no other explaination for these symptoms and I really want some answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User
    Re: Blood test for Cushings?

I just read this and it may be too late for an answer depending on where you are. I don't know much about Cushings but I had a pituitary tumor. One of the pre-surgery tests I did was the same one you are doing and I was told it was for testing the cortisol. I did the same thing but 2 pills at 11:00pm and a blood test early the next morning. If cortisol is connected to Cushings then it's probably a test for that. My tumor turned out to be a non functioning macroadenoma that required surgery. Hope this helps. Diana

Closed Thread