It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Crazy when not on Birth Control!/ Prediabetes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
    alandat64
    (female)

alandat64 HB User
    Crazy when not on Birth Control!/ Prediabetes

I am a 23 year old woman. On the surface I appear healthy, I'm 5'4'', 115 lb. I usually exercise 5 days a week and I eat relatively healthy.
    I started taking birth control when I was 15 years old in order to help treat cystic acne and overall it was effective. I still suffered breakouts occasionally. I got pregnant at 19 and suffered from extremely severe acne and hyper-pigmentation during pregnancy. Just before getting pregnant I stopped taking birth control for a few months and started having anxiety attacks as well as general anxiety and depression. I was in a stressful relationship at the time so doctors attributed the attacks to that. Anyway, I had my daughter and started taking birth control again. My skin cleared up and no anxiety or depression for 2 years.
    This past October I decided to stop taking birth control (Ortho Tri Cyclen). While on the pill for some reason (maybe a hormonal change) I started to spot a week before my period, became nauseous at beginning of a pack and would wake up with my heart racing at night. So I stopped taking it and within a few months anxiety was back full force. It was to the point that I went to the ER 3 nights in a row thinking I was dying. Every test showed I am perfectly healthy.
    Doctors put me back on birth control and then increased the hormone levels by switching me to ortho cyclen. Anxiety reduced and acne got better but not great. In the meantime, I'm diagnosed with prediabetes (mother is diabetic since age 14, she also is thin). Dr. believes could be causing hormonal issues and increase in male hormone. But every time I get male hormone levels checked they are normal. Acne started flaring up again recently so they put me on Kelnor( generic for Zovia). Been taking it for a week and I've been having cramps. I've never suffered from menstrual cramps or irregular periods other than the spotting on birth control.I'm also taking Metformin now. Dosage was recently increased because I still experience drops in blood sugar. (Another mystery: my A1C is always normal. It shows no prediabetes. But my 2 hour glucose tolerance test does show prediabetes.)
    I know that's a lot but I would really like someone's opinion on this. Or to see if anyone else has this problem. I want to stop taking birth control and my doctor says once Metformin dosage is correct my hormones should be regulated. I'm really scared to go through the months of anxiety and depression again. I was put on Xanax for awhile and that's something I don't want to go experience again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
    Valkatie
    (female)

Valkatie HB User
    Re: Crazy when not on Birth Control!/ Prediabetes

I was coming here just to post about this myself. I have been on the pill since I was 13 due to horrid cramps that had me passing out and throwing up. I am now 31 and have been off the pill for 3 years because I got pregnant with baby #4. (Yeah I know, thats a lot lol) With each baby I went off the pill and bam was pregnant within a month or two. So I was never really off for a long period of time.

After baby number 4 I started having horrid panic attacks that left me wondering where I was going in life. They scared the skin off me and I truly thought I was dying. I was just waiting for it to happen. I had so many tests completed and was told I was hyperthyroid. My thyroid function returned to normal on its own and I was told I had post partum thyroiditis. But still today I have anxiety and slight depression.

I honestly think it stems for a hormonal imbalance. My hubby was fixed so there is no need for me to get back on the pill. But I am now wondering if it would be the answer to all of my problems. I am actually looking into being tested and being put on bioidentical hormones just to even myself out.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
    alandat64
    (female)

alandat64 HB User

Hi, I am in love with the woman who posted this message. She is an amazing woman, beautiful, smart, clever, a great wife and mother. I LOVE HER!!!

Old 09-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
    0shirley0
    (female)

0shirley0 HB User

Hello alandat

i am 22 and i also have hypogonadism since i have my period but i am not on birth control pill, nobody knows where my hypogonadism comes from because no ovarian cysts,normal thyroid functions and also no hypophysal adenoma.

i think that in your case you should get your thyroid checked (thyroid disorderss can also go hand in hand with prediabetes-do you mean type1 or type2?)

and you should also think about checking your female hormones again and maybe doing an mrt of hypohphysis.

best wishes for your health!
    shirley

Closed Thread