It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Uncontrollable weight gain *urgent*

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
    ks1990
    (female)

ks1990 HB User
    Exclamation Uncontrollable weight gain *urgent*

Hi, I have been in recovery from an eating disorder, the problem is now that I cannot stop gaining weight. I have gained 35+ pounds in the past 5 months and am almost overweight now, and it shows no sign of stopping. There is no way what I am eating/how much I eat warrants how much I have gained (I see a nutritionist weekly). I have been saliva tested and my testosterone is 3x the normal amount, and I am estrogen dominant (low in progesterone - ratio is 24:1 and should be 200:1) though my estrogen is normal range. My thyroid seems to be going down as well (TSH is almost 3.0 now up from ~1.8 in July) and I have read estrogen is the cause. I am being started on progesterone cream but I have read this can cause more weight gain. Please help, I don't know what to do. I am housebound with depression. Exercise does not help and in fact makes me paradoxically gain more quickly. I feel hopeless, truly.

Last edited by ks1990; 10-27-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
    ks1990
    (female)

ks1990 HB User
    Re: Uncontrollable weight gain *urgent*

Anyone with any ideas...? please???

The following user gives a hug of support to ks1990:
    1822jb (11-02-2013)
    Old 11-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
    1822jb
    (female)

1822jb HB User

First I would like to say congratulations for making such progress on your eating disorder. I have been mostly anorexic, some bulimia for 17 yrs. now. In the past 2 months I've gained 8 lbs. I think the only reason I'm scared to gain to a healthy weight is because of what you're going through.
    I guess just see how the cream works. Just know that it's not your fault. Look how much you've accomplished so far! I'm proud of you! I only hope I can do half as good as you did.
    I also suffer from depression. It really can be debilitating. I would love to know your journey and how you recovered from your eating disorder. You are such an inspiration to me.
    Please keep in touch. I hope you get some more advice from other people.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
    ks1990
    (female)

ks1990 HB User

Thanks but your comment more just hurt my feelings. This is exactly why I didn't want to recover either and now I know I was better off before recovering because now not only do I feel fat I actually am fat. So really, I am worse off than I started, and my depression is 10x worse and it was already awful to begin with. I wish someone would reply that has had these problems. I really hate my life, I really do.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
    1822jb
    (female)

1822jb HB User

Oh my! I honestly didn't mean to make you feel worse. I so apologize. I agree when I looked back at what I wrote, I should have never wrote that one sentence. I should know better. Please forgive me.
    I guess I'm not a good person to give advice to you, but I will say that this weight gain is not your fault. You will get this under control. I have faith in you. One day at a time.
    Again, my intentions were not to make you feel worse. I hope you have a better day today.
    Jen

Old 11-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
    hypog60
    (male)

hypog60 HB User

From what I've been told by my endocrinologist is that if your body is forced into a prolonged state for a long time especially throughout your growing years, teens to twenties, you can become temporarily metabolically frozen.

You body is trying to regulate itself and within the next few months you should level off. Drop your exercise off to a consistent, less intense workout by walking or swimming. The body has an amazing way to heal itself.

I think your doctor is on the right track by using the cream to stop the stimulation of your Luteinizing Hormone and Follicle Stimulating Hormone which is what causes your testosterone to be so high. If your testosterone is that high, I can tell you that when it goes back down, and it will, you will lose about 5-10 pounds or fluid retention.

Congrats on your weight gain it is a good thing and it will get better.

Last edited by hypog60; 11-03-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling grammer

Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
    ks1990
    (female)

ks1990 HB User

Thank you for the reply and I will respond in the order of what you said. I don't know what you mean by "prolonged state" and "metabolically frozen" - that last phrase sounds made up and doesn't really make any sense. I never said I worked out, I in fact cannot even do walking without retaining even more fluid and exacerbating weight gain. It has been more than a few months as I said and it should be going down by now, not up, especially since I've never weighed this much in my life and the rest of my family is thin. Thanks for the information about the testosterone and the other hormones mentioned, though perhaps you could explain what those things are and how they work more... The weight gain however has not been a good thing and I am above a healthy weight/fat % for my body and it is very hard on me physically and mentally to carry this much weight.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
    hypog60
    (male)

hypog60 HB User

Sorry to make you uncomfortable or seemingly walking on egg shells to feel enough for you to offer words of encouragement. You are looking for advice yet the past two posts have offended you. This may be the wrong method of going about getting answers to your questions.

I have a pituitary disorder in which I gained 125lbs due to head and neck trauma. I'm not going to split hairs with you on medical terms but I'm sure my doctor used the term "metabolically frozen" to help me understand what my body hormones and endocrine system was controlling my basal metabolic rate in a way that clinically accepted methods of weight loss did not work until the medication starts to work bringing my body back to homeostasis.

From your description of a eating disorder and the fact that you find your weight gain disturbing, it is easy to deduce that you suffer from a lack of caloric intake. In the context of what you described as an eating disorder, metabolically frozen in the lack of sufficient caloric intake was meant to mean:
    Metabolic Rate (also Basal Metabolic Rate/BMR/ Resting Energy Expenditure/REE: the rate at which the body burns calories at rest. During starvation, BMR decreases to conserve energy, thereby sustaining life.)

So Metabolically your body will eventually adjust to maintain a homeostasis.

I hope you feel better real soon.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I agree, I believe your body will balance off once all the hormones are balanced. Even your thyroid is bouncing around. You don't know what your thyroid will end up at, you may need to go on meds for it which in turn will cause you to loose but I think it's too soon to tell.

I don't know how long you were sick, but I imagine you will have to give your body x amount of time to straighten out.

What does your dr. Say about the fluid? Are your kidneys functioning properly?

Please let us know how things are going, I can't imagine how frustrating it is but we are here. Cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
    1822jb (11-05-2013)
    Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
    ks1990
    (female)

ks1990 HB User

Thanks for the replies again. I am not suffering from a lack of caloric intake, I am actually eating a very normal amount for someone my age, which is the confusing part. I eat how much I am hungry for, I don't go without food if I am hungry. My dietician says the calories are not the problem. I'm sorry about your pituitary disaster, that sounds very hard to handle and I cannot imagine the emotional suffering you went through but I very much sympathize. What medicine brought your body back to order, and was it a similar situation than mine? I am not gaining weight from calories, but just from moving around, I believe my body has gained so much that the muscles (which deteriorated) cannot handle it and swell up with fluid each time I move, and for some reason that fluid doesn't go away. My doctor does not help at all and claims that medication probably caused my weight gain but I know that is not true because I've been on this med before, and others have not gained on it, certainly not this much.

Noever, my dietician said I should not go on thyroid meds, that that is just a bandaid for the problem and once my hormones are straightened out it should resolve itself. So we have discussed this already. I was on thyroid meds before this and I don't think they did anything, in fact they might be the reason my hormones got thrown out of whack, though my body was already acting up before them (I think I had adrenal fatigue or something because I could not sleep at all and still can't without meds). I was taken off them because they were not helping & gave me palpitations and other side effects. I wasn't hypothyroid but I had a lot of the symptoms, and here I am again with all the symptoms. My doctor doesn't say anything about the weight gain and did a finger test on my legs, and said I didn't have retention, though I know I do because I go up a pound in a day just from light activity and that's not possible to be fat. My kidneys are fine as far as I know. I just don't know how all this happened. I had an eating disorder a long time ago and recovered and did not have any of these problems, and I weighed a lot less. My dietician has given me a general "metabolic syndrome" diagnosis, and I have read that my symptoms/hormone imbalance line up with PCOS and they get worse the more weight I gain. It just seems hopeless...

I am sorry if I am coming across as offended, I'm just trying to explain what's going on and tone doesn't come across on the internet. It's all very frustrating and I've tried everything and just nothing is working.

Last edited by ks1990; 11-06-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    anorexia, hormones, progesterone, weight gain