It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Low testosterone, slightly high Ferritin problem

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
    sovr
    (male)

sovr HB User
    Unhappy Low testosterone, slightly high Ferritin problem

Hello everyone! I just joined the forums with a bit of a mystery I have been battling for around 4-6 months now. I started by going to the doctors because I had slight shortness of breath around 4 months ago and he did breathing tests and said my lungs were functioning properly! So he then told me to do a blood test, which I did and got low testosterone! My doctor told me to go to an endocrinologist for further help. During a month period I did two more blood tests that showed the same results of low testosterone along with slightly high ferritin along with low vitamin D.

The endocrinologist gave me vitamin D supplements for 3 months (into the second month) and helped me a lot with some of the symptoms. The thing is I have normal good ranges for iron, but slightly high level of Ferritin levels. I know that Ferritin is the protein that stored iron in organs and that avoiding iron based foods along with some blood donating is a good solution. The thing is, could it be cushing disease? I got my pituitary gland checked in MRI and things looked good! I also got an ultrasound of the testicles to see if anything is going on there and that scan seemed all good too! I do not feel anything out of the norm on my testicles other then some minor varicoele on my left testicle.

here are the blood test results (most current):

PSA: 0.52 ng/ml
    Ferritin: 356ng/ml (23-265 ng/dl) HIGH
    Free testosterone: 38 pg/ml (49-212 pg/ml) LOW
    Iron sat: 36.6% (20-50%)
    Iron: 100 (45-160 mcg/dl)
    TIBC: 273 (205-380 mcg/dl)
    sec hormone bind glob: 9 (10-80 nmol/L) LOW
    Testostrone total: 119 (400-1080 ng/dl) LOW!
    TSH: 1.64 mcunit/ml
    sedimentation rate : 2 mm/hr
    glucose random: 98 mg/dl (70-200 mg/dl)
    CBC with DIff:
    WBC: 7.1 (4.0-11 thou/cu mm)
    RDW: 13.1 (11.5-14.5%)
    Platelet: 197 (150-400 Thou/cu mm)
    MPV: 9.8 (7.0-12.0 fl)
    MCV: 84.7 (80-100 fl)
    Hct: 46.3 (38-54%)
    Hgb: 15.9 (13.5-18 gm/dl)
    Abs Lymph-Auto: 3.0 (thou/cu mm)
    Abs Eos-auto: 0.1 (Thou/cu mm)
    Lymph Auto: 42.7% (24-44%)
    Mono Auto: 7.8% (0-10%)
    Neutro Auto: 48.1% (36-66%)
    MCH: 29 (27-34pg)
    MCHC: 34.2 (31-36%)
    Basophil auto: 0.2% (0-3%)

prolactin level: 11.8 (4.0-15.2 ng/ml)

The Metabolic Panel tests levels are all good also. The symptoms I have are fatigue, weakness, low sex drive, erectile dysfunction (not all the time), low motivation, low concentration, slightly depressed, anxiety (always worrying), random aches here and there. Some days I can feel alomst fine, while others are just a drag to deal with! I did look up cushing diease and it seems like I have no physical symptoms, but I have been gaining weight around my belly for the past year.

On a final note I have also expierence a very stressful last year and a half with low quality of diet and excersice. Thank you for helping me :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    low, testosterone