It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• 21 Years Old and Low Testosterone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
    JuniperAsh
    (male)

JuniperAsh HB User
    Question 21 Years Old and Low Testosterone

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this board, and joined because I saw some great posts on Low-T.

I am 21 years old and have found I have low testosterone. About 5 years ago, I started having heart racing, extreme fatigue, confusion/mind fog, and erectile issues. The doctors I saw chocked it up to anxiety disorder, and never checked my hormone levels.

I finally found out about my levels a couple of weeks ago, and I just got the results back for my LH, FSH, and SHBG - and I wanted some advice as to what I should push my doctor to do next. Here are my levels:

LH | RANGE: (1.5-9.3 mIU/mL) | VALUE: 2.4
    FSH | RANGE: (1.4-18.1 mIU/mL) | VALUE: 1.5
    SHBG | RANGE: (14-48 nmol/L) | VALUE: 17
    TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL | RANGE: (249-836 ng/dL) | VALUE: 203

I currently have Kaiser Permanente and I don't believe they have anti-aging doctors, only endocrinologists. I want to be prepared to tell my doctor how to proceed because she is only an internal medicine - and she has been consulting with one of her fellow endocrinologist practitioners for how to proceed.

If I can show her that I am doing my research, and help her out, that would be great. I would also like to know for myself.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
    JuniperAsh
    (male)

JuniperAsh HB User
    Re: 21 Years Old and Low Testosterone

Update: My doctor did another Total T test and it came back at 361 - she said everything is fine and pretty much sent me on my way. What should I do?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Your testosterone is now in the normal range.

Enjoy your life.

Best of luck...

Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
    JuniperAsh
    (male)

JuniperAsh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by movielover40 View Post
    Your testosterone is now in the normal range.

Enjoy your life.

Best of luck...
    So, I shouldn't still pursue based on the symptoms I am having? I get extremely tired for no reason (mainly in the evenings). I can rarely become erect, and when I do I can barely maintain it. I can barely think as the day goes on.

How does a "freak incident" of Low-T occur with symptoms every day? My 203 score was taking at 11AM and my 361 was taken at 8AM. This tends to tell me that it dips very low at the day goes on, and could explain my issues?

Kind of desperate because I felt as though I found the source of my issues (endocrine at least).

Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
    kris90
    Inactive
    (male)

kris90 HB User

Hi there,

Typically T levels are highest in the morning and should be measured before 10 AM. So it makes sense that your levels were higher at 8 AM versus 11 AM. However if you have symptoms, you need to be persistent. Your levels are very low for a 21 year old. And since your LH and FSH levels are low, it appears to be a case of Hypogonadatropin Hypogonadism (meaning low Testosterone due to low levels of gonadatropin hormones i.e. LH and FSH).

LH (which is released by the Pituitary gland) stimulates the Leydig Cells in the Testes to produce Testosterone. It appears as though your Testes are not receiving enough stimulation from the Pituitary. To me, this tells me your "boys" are probably functional, they just lack the stimulation to produce T.

How long have you noticed these symptoms? Do you feel like you have fully developed throughout puberty? Was your puberty delayed? It will be helpful to pinpoint when this may have happened. Have you ever used Anabolic Steroids?

Old 12-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
    JuniperAsh
    (male)

JuniperAsh HB User
    Talking Re: 21 Years Old and Low Testosterone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kris90 View Post
    Hi there,

Typically T levels are highest in the morning and should be measured before 10 AM. So it makes sense that your levels were higher at 8 AM versus 11 AM. However if you have symptoms, you need to be persistent. Your levels are very low for a 21 year old. And since your LH and FSH levels are low, it appears to be a case of Hypogonadatropin Hypogonadism (meaning low Testosterone due to low levels of gonadatropin hormones i.e. LH and FSH).

LH (which is released by the Pituitary gland) stimulates the Leydig Cells in the Testes to produce Testosterone. It appears as though your Testes are not receiving enough stimulation from the Pituitary. To me, this tells me your "boys" are probably functional, they just lack the stimulation to produce T.

How long have you noticed these symptoms? Do you feel like you have fully developed throughout puberty? Was your puberty delayed? It will be helpful to pinpoint when this may have happened. Have you ever used Anabolic Steroids?
    Hi Kris90!

Thank you for more information. These particular symptoms have been going on since I was about 17. I will be 22 in February. I found out then that I had a small case of mitral valve prolapse, but nothing that should have been causing all of my heart racing, etc. Recently, they did an EKG and it came back with early re-polarization (nothing too serious they said). But it seems whatever is going on is starting to affect my heart little by little.

I can't say if I am fully developed or not, but a lot of things point to that. I barely have ANY hair on my arms and legs (my mom has more hair on her arms), and my facial hair is sparse. My voice changed slightly when I was 14, but stopped. I still sound like a kid compared to my friends and family.

When I was 3 months old, there was an accident that caused me to fracture my skull bilaterally. Could this have any affect on this?

Thanks so much!

Logan

Old 12-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
    kris90
    Inactive
    (male)

kris90 HB User

Have you ever had your Thyroid checked? I know Hyperthyroidism can cause heart palpitations and a faster resting heart rate. I believe there is also an association between Hypogonadism and Hyperthyroidism. Do you find you lose weight easily or unexplainably?

As for the trauma while you were young, it's always possible it could have damaged your Pituitary. Do you ever get headaches? If you suspect this, you may want to try having other hormones tested to see if you may have any other deficiencies.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
    JuniperAsh
    (male)

JuniperAsh HB User

Quote:
    Have you ever had your Thyroid checked? I know Hyperthyroidism can cause heart palpitations and a faster resting heart rate. I believe there is also an association between Hypogonadism and Hyperthyroidism. Do you find you lose weight easily or unexplainably?

As for the trauma while you were young, it's always possible it could have damaged your Pituitary. Do you ever get headaches? If you suspect this, you may want to try having other hormones tested to see if you may have any other deficiencies.
    I always get headaches! Almost every night! I am a Tylenol addict, but it never helps. Regarding the weight, it feel like sometimes I will actually gain pretty quick, and lose it again, but I always have belly fat/love handles. The rest of my body stays the same, and I gain it only in belly fat.

I have had my TSH checked, on a range from 0.35 - 4.00 mcIU/mL it was 1.57

I just got a message back from my doctor:

"Logan,

I am confident that whatever you are going through, it is not due to hormones.

Have you considered seeing a therapist to evaluate you for stress or anxiety?

As for fatigue... Could it be that you are just working too much? Perhaps you are not sleeping well.
    "

Pretty damn frustrating....

Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
    kris90
    Inactive
    (male)

kris90 HB User

Hmm, that TSH looks normal, although it's best to check T3 and T4 hormones too. May want to check Prolactin levels too just to rule out hyperprolactinemia which can result in suppressed testosterone.

I totally disagree with this doctor. Sure your levels may be within the normal range, but at 21 years old do you really want to be at the low end? It's only going to get worse as you get older. Don't settle for that. If I was the doctor, I would get a full hormone panel done to rule out as much as possible. If it's simply low testosterone, you may respond to Clomid therapy. Look it up if you haven't already, it has a stimulatory effect on the HPTA which can help start up the gonadotropin hormones (LH and FSH) which seem to be on the low side for you. Typically if you don't respond to Clomid, the next option would be TRT, and if you wish to maintain fertility, then HCG is usually added in conjunction to the TRT at a moderate dose.

Keep fighting. I hope you find someone who can help you. I'm actually going through the exact same thing myself.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
    JuniperAsh
    (male)

JuniperAsh HB User

Quote:
    Hmm, that TSH looks normal, although it's best to check T3 and T4 hormones too. May want to check Prolactin levels too just to rule out hyperprolactinemia which can result in suppressed testosterone.

I totally disagree with this doctor. Sure your levels may be within the normal range, but at 21 years old do you really want to be at the low end? It's only going to get worse as you get older. Don't settle for that. If I was the doctor, I would get a full hormone panel done to rule out as much as possible. If it's simply low testosterone, you may respond to Clomid therapy. Look it up if you haven't already, it has a stimulatory effect on the HPTA which can help start up the gonadotropin hormones (LH and FSH) which seem to be on the low side for you. Typically if you don't respond to Clomid, the next option would be TRT, and if you wish to maintain fertility, then HCG is usually added in conjunction to the TRT at a moderate dose.

Keep fighting. I hope you find someone who can help you. I'm actually going through the exact same thing myself.
    Thank you very much for the information. I am very sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. I wish that doctors were a little more competent, or at least have common sense.

I mean, if I am at 361 at 8AM, 203 at 11AM, then what are my levels are 6PM? That is the weird thought in my head. Is this even valid?

Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
    JuniperAsh
    (male)

JuniperAsh HB User

Quote:

Thank you very much for the information. I am very sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. I wish that doctors were a little more competent, or at least have common sense.

I mean, if I am at 361 at 8AM, 203 at 11AM, then what are my levels are 6PM? That is the weird thought in my head. Maybe that isn't the way it works what in comes to symptoms, but I would assume it would be worse at night?

Old 12-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
    kris90
    Inactive
    (male)

kris90 HB User

I totally agree. Sometimes we have to be our own doctors. Luckily, I have purchased some HCG and Clomid, and am going to treat myself based on well known protocols. I will probably be starting the treatment today or tomorrow. I can keep you posted if you like, as I will be trying to get my T levels checked again midway through treatment as well as after.

That is just it, if your highest levels are 361, god only knows what your levels will be at later in the day. I feel the same way, which is why I know do my workouts early in the morning (5 AM) as opposed to after work.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
    JuniperAsh
    (male)

JuniperAsh HB User

Quote:
    I totally agree. Sometimes we have to be our own doctors. Luckily, I have purchased some HCG and Clomid, and am going to treat myself based on well known protocols. I will probably be starting the treatment today or tomorrow. I can keep you posted if you like, as I will be trying to get my T levels checked again midway through treatment as well as after.

That is just it, if your highest levels are 361, god only knows what your levels will be at later in the day. I feel the same way, which is why I know do my workouts early in the morning (5 AM) as opposed to after work.
    You know, I was looking at your other posts, and saw your cold intolerance - I went to a Christmas tree lighting ceremony last night, it was bout 35 degrees, and my feet hurt so bad because of the cold. I was wearing very warm socks and shoes, yet the cold just felt to penetrate throughout my feet, and it just hurt so bad.

If not thyroid, Hypothalamus?

Last edited by JuniperAsh; 12-07-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
    kris90
    Inactive
    (male)

kris90 HB User

Not too sure what to think of that to be honest, unless you were having other symptoms suggesting hypothyroidism.

I just gave myself my first injection of 2000 IU of HCG. I will do another few shots at this dose, then slower taper down to 500 IU until I'm done. I will then try to get bloodwork done to see how I responded, and may or may not start Clomid therapy at 50mg per day.

Last edited by kris90; 12-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    heart racing, low-t, testosterone, young adult