It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Please take a look at my blood test

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
    Dustmop
    (male)

Dustmop HB User
    Please take a look at my blood test

27 year old male having all symptoms of hypothyroid/low t and the newest symptom is alopecia areata and shedding. Both parents in 50s have full heads of hair. Endo says I'm normal but gave me a diagnosis of gynecomastia and wants me to get a mamo. My results are as follows:

Prolactin 8.2
    LH: 2.1
    FSH: 2.5
    TSH: 2.101
    Free T4: 1.1
    Total T: 467
    Free T: 101
    SHGB: 25
    test %: 2.2

My Total T was tested once before and was 289 ng/dl. Am I just crazy and this is how everyone feels? I was on Accutane as a teenager have not felt right ever since.

Last edited by Dustmop; 05-06-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
    Jl925
    Inactive
    (male)

Jl925 HB User
    Re: Please take a look at my blood test

You aren't crazy.

You do have the total testosterone levels of a 50+ year old man. Tell your doc that the lab's reference range for a particular hormone is just the 95% confidence interval (2 standard deviations from the mean) of the lab's reference group. The reference group is comprised of the lab's patients. Since most people in optimum health are not sent for lab testing, the lab's ref range is skewed toward those that do get tested (elderly and unhealthy or those with suspected pathology).

The bottom line is that the lab's reference range for most hormones are not related to optimum health, rather what you are likely to find in their elderly and ill patients.

Most people will feel pretty good if in the upper 20% of the lab's reference range. If you are very active, more than 65 kg or lead a very stressful life, you may require higher levels.

Reply Reply

Tags
    hypothroidism, low testosterone, pituitary