It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Free testosterone - What they actually measure:

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
    OrphanHelgen
    (male)

OrphanHelgen HB User
    Post Free testosterone - What they actually measure:

Hello

I am a 27 years old male. I was at my endocrinologist, and before I took some bloodtests, I showed them my previous tests. I had never tested estradiol, and they said also this was important to measure as well. They did already then fully agree with me, that my hormones were too low, and they said they would help me. The lowest hormones was
    FSH - 0,8
    LH - 1,9
    Testosterone - 11 (I believe this is something like 300 in US)
    SHBG - 15

They said FSH and LH was important for male hormones. I think these comes from your testicles, and telling your brain to produce testosterone, or something. Anyway, I was really happy, finally I could get my energy and joy back after two years feeling like a living dead. I dont care if I have cancer or tumor or just have been working too hard, they said I was going to get help and making me feel better

But then I got a mail. They did not take the estradiol test btw, and they didn't want to help me, and they even said that I should quit my job if I cant handle the work. So, if I want antidepressants I can get that in no time. But some hormones to help me get going, is bad?
    Here is the ONLY reason they didnt want to help me:

Because of the low SHBG, the free androgen index is normal.

I checked this out, and one formula is: T x 10 / SHBG
    The number 10 can also be 100, it doesnt matter. The number you get, is just a number they use in a suggested range that is made up.
    So If I had testosterone of 30 and SHBG of 40, the answer would be the same. Lets say if I had testosterone as low as 0,3, and SHBG of 0,4. That is NOTHING in your blood, but the final number from that formula will still be the same. But does that mean it is enough testosterone for a 90 kg man to have in his blood?
    But as I understand this, that number you get is just that the binding mix between T and SHBG is working correctly, and not how much testosterone you actually have in your blood, since they measure this in units per liter. So that means that the free testosterone, is how much percent free from the serum testosterone. So high serum testosterone combined with high SHBG, will make SHBG bind estradiol as well, and the percent testosterone that is in your blood, will be higher, since we are working with bigger numbers.

I am so sorry I cant explain this any better, and if my English are bad. But pls ask question if you dont understand my point, and I can try to explain it better. Can someone also confirm that this is right? If it is right, and I believe it is, then it is scary that endocrinologists does'nt know this, and they think you have enough testosterone in your blood only because your SHBG is low, and because they have a formula and numbers on paper to follow.

I know that free testosterone will get symptoms of low T, when your SHBG is high, and your serum T is "normal". But how can everyone think that this is the same as if you have low serum T and low SHBG as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    free testosterone, fsh, fsh/lh, testosterone