It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• Genital warts (HPV), exams and tests

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2003, 07:18 AM   #1
    Bruce
    Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
    Genital warts (HPV), exams and tests

Topic Overview

Genital Warts (Human Papillomavirus)

Exams and Tests

Genital warts usually are diagnosed by your medical history and a physical examination. Your health professional may ask you the following questions.

Do you think you were exposed to genital warts or any sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)? How do you know? Did your partner tell you?
    What are your symptoms? If you have discharge from the vagina or penis, it is important to note any smell or color.
    What method of birth control do you use? Did you use condoms to protect against STDs?
    Which high-risk sexual behaviors do you or your partner engage in?
    Have you had an STD in the past? How was it treated?
    For women, have you ever had an abnormal Pap test?
    For women

After your medical history is taken, the initial exam for genital warts will include a gynecological exam. A Pap test may also be included.

If areas of abnormal tissue on the cervix (which may be related to a human papillomavirus [HPV] infection) are found during a gynecological exam or Pap test, other treatment may be recommended.

For men

After your medical history is taken, a physical exam for genital warts (HPV) infection will be done.

For men and women

When abnormal tissue is found during a visual exam or colposcopy (for women) but a definite diagnosis cannot be made, a biopsy for lab tissue studies may be done.

Early Detection
    For women

A Pap test is a screening test for abnormal cells on the cervix. Regular Pap test screening may have results that indicate an HPV infection even though no visible warts are present. Not all HPV infections cause visible warts. A Pap test will not find HPV infections or warts in other locations of the body.

For men

There is no screening test for HPV infections in men.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
    Spiderman

Spiderman HB User
    Re: Genital warts (HPV), exams and tests

I recommend a biopsy even if your dr is sure what it is. A "GOOD" dr will always do a biopsy to be almost 100% sure. THere are some very good pathologists in Philly

Old 11-20-2003, 04:41 PM   #3
    Bruce
    Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
    Re: Genital warts (HPV), exams and tests

I agree it doesn't hurt to confirm the diagnosis, but if the doctor is experienced in STD infections, the diagnosis is relatively easy.

The topic was posted for information only.

Closed Thread