It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• HPV -Just Diagnosed, Very Scared!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
    kayhy bott

kayhy bott HB User
    Unhappy HPV -Just Diagnosed, Very Scared!!

I have just been diagnosed with HPV (high risk) and waiting for my appointment for a coloscopy. Along with my HPV I have warts, and I am very confussed as to when they are contagious and if I will have future outbreaks or not. And if I have a papsmear in a year and it's clear of HPV, am I still contagious? Or will my papsmears always show the HPV virus?
    Is there anything that I can do to control future breakouts, if so what types of things should I be doing to take care of myself? Are there any tests that my boyfriend could take (I didn't get it from him) to see if he has it, or would we just have to wait until he actually broke out in the warts? Or could he have it and never break out in warts? Are there any signs that you are just about to break out again, so you can be prepared for it, or can it just show up one day again with no signs? (for example, if you have a cold sore you know because you can feel the area on your lip is tender)
    I have read that there is a vaccination by Merek that is suppose to come out in 2005, does anyone know anymore information on this? And would it be helpful for those that currently have HPV?
    If anyone has any advice/tips, who has HPV and knows from experience what kinds of things I need to be doing from now on, the information would be very helpful! Lots of questions---very confussed---sorry!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User
    Re: HPV -Just Diagnosed, Very Scared!!

HPV is like any other viral infection - INCURABLE! I have heard of the vaccine, but I'm not sure whether it's targeted to people who already have it or towards people who don't. HPV is HIGHLY contagious - 80% of the sexually active population is infected and don't even know it!!!
    HPV is transmitted through skin-to-skin contact and lives within the skin tissue and cells - because of this, a blood test will not confirm actual infection! Actual confirmation of infection will result from a diagnosis of an actual wart or a biopsy of the tissue and cells from the cervix.

There are currently over 100 different strains out there. The high risk strains do not cause actual warts, but do cause you to have cervical cellular changes (abnormal pap smears), that if left untreated, will lead to cervical cancer. The low risk strains do not cause cellular changes, but do cause you to have actual warts and IS NOT associated with cervical cancer. You cannot "reinfect" yourself with the same strain, but it's entirely possible to be infected with multiple strains causing you to have actual warts and abnormal paps! Also, being infected with multiple strains, can mean that you're only infected w/ multiple strains of either high or low risk strains.

Currently, without a visible wart to base a diagnosis on, there is no test available out there for men and because of this, men are considered to be "carriers" of the high risk strains. HOWEVER, there is a test out there for women called the HPV DNA Digene Test; it's a test that is performed on biopsied cervical tissue to determine which strain is present in the cervical cells. USUALLY doctors will not perform this test unless you do have an abnormal pap (I believe that it is a HIGHLY expensive test).

There is no cure for HPV, only surgical procedures to remove the tainted cells and creams/medications & sometimes surgeries to help subside the actual warts. Having HPV IS NOT a death sentence, only a minor inconvience. If you do an internet search, you find a whole slew of info that's available on this subject, but most importantly, you should talk to your doctor.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by KimRick; 03-08-2004 at 08:50 AM.

Old 07-17-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
    debim

debim HB User

I to have been diagnosed w/ HPV and they are not sure if it is low or high risk. Honseltly I am scared and wonder who I got it from. I have had normal paps for the past 8 years and now all of a sudden an abnormal test and HPV. THe only person I have been with since my last test is my fiance who I met a year ago? He has been w/ more people than me and I think I got it from him. Did I? He is aware of the situation and still wants to get married. I want him to get tested for this, HPV to!!!!!!!!!!! Can he? I also am getting a coloscpy soon and what will I feel like after, I am training for a maraton and wonder if this procedure will require me to take a few days off of running. I am very scared and feel like I am a MARKED woman who always prided herself on not sleeping around. I guess that is not the case. My fiance is great about this and wants to still move forward w/ the wedding. I need to know if he gave it to me or now that I have it, does he. Will any man I am with get it from me? Sounds so stupid to ask this, I just need to know. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
    luv4adonai

luv4adonai HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by debim
    I to have been diagnosed w/ HPV and they are not sure if it is low or high risk. Honseltly I am scared and wonder who I got it from. I have had normal paps for the past 8 years and now all of a sudden an abnormal test and HPV. THe only person I have been with since my last test is my fiance who I met a year ago? He has been w/ more people than me and I think I got it from him. Did I? He is aware of the situation and still wants to get married. I want him to get tested for this, HPV to!!!!!!!!!!! Can he? I also am getting a coloscpy soon and what will I feel like after, I am training for a maraton and wonder if this procedure will require me to take a few days off of running. I am very scared and feel like I am a MARKED woman who always prided herself on not sleeping around. I guess that is not the case. My fiance is great about this and wants to still move forward w/ the wedding. I need to know if he gave it to me or now that I have it, does he. Will any man I am with get it from me? Sounds so stupid to ask this, I just need to know. Thanks.
    there is no way to find out if your fiance has it unless he were to break out in warts, because, like kimrick said, hpv is a viral disease that lives in skin cells, not blood, so there is no blood test that can be done. however, like you said, you're not sure yet if you are low risk or high risk...high risk does not result in warts, but in more serious problems like cervical cancer, so if he WAS the carrier, he wouldn't have warts for you to find out. BUT, even if he wasn't the carrier, he most likely has it now because you two have been together, and if you have it, you probably passed it on to him...at this point, i think it would be very difficult to figure out who gave it to who.

yes, you will most likely pass it on to anyone else you are ever with, so it's a good idea to be up front and honest with any guy you may come into contact with sexually, so that he can decide what he wants...it's hard, i know, but it's the right thing to do.

i too was just diagnosed with hpv just 2 days ago...i don't know whether i'm low risk or high risk, but i DO have warts, so i'm guessing low risk, although, i may have more than one strand (you never know). i will be going in to the hospital in a couple weeks to have them removed by laser. my doc hasn't said anything about a coloscopy yet, but we'll see what she says afer the surgery. before i was diagnosed with hpv, i kind of already had a feeling that i might have it, so i did a lot of research on it and realized that it's not the end of the world...i will be ok and i can still have sex just as long as i'm honest with my partner about my situation. honestly, this whole thing has opened my eyes a lot and i am being a lot more careful and taking better care of myself...i wasn't doing that before and, though i hate to admit it, i wasn't making the smartest decisions when it came to the guys i was choosing to sleep with...i'm just happy that hpv is ALL i contracted, when there are much more serious std's out there.

Last edited by luv4adonai; 07-17-2004 at 12:52 PM.

Closed Thread