It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• HPV & Guilt

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2005, 02:25 PM   #151
    beezkneez
    (female)

beezkneez HB User
    Re: HPV & Guilt

I think perhaps, that condoms aren't protecting the outer genital wart form of HPV. How can you get cervical hpv if the area where he carries it, inside, is covered. Condoms do not cover the enire genital area which means if a wart is exposed on the testicles or vulva then it can be transmitted. This is just my understanding. Later on tonight I will post some interesting information that I have found. It will be in a few hours so I can reread over the information and post it for you all to read. There are some myths and misconceptions about HPV and what a woman with cervical HPV should know. There is also talk about something I think all of us women will find quite relieving. Like I said, I will be posting some of that later on tonight.

Take care all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #152
    Carol888

Carol888 HB User

SYL, My daughter also got HPV at 16. She had the abnormal pap and the colposcopy and the whole bit. Now I just married last June to a man who told me before we got together that he was infected as well. We used condoms religiously while we dated, but guess what?? Didn't work. Now I have to believe my daughter because it happened to me as well. I work in the medical profession and got my hands on the doctors books and did some research and found that even the Docs really don't believe that condoms will prevent the transmission of HPV. I would give your daughter the beneifit of the doubt. Just like I am to mine. It is a good thing she confided in you. You must be a good Mom.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #153
    beezkneez
    (female)

beezkneez HB User

Ok, for the really good news first tonight. An experimental vaccine is in the process to help reduce many young women from developeing precancerous conditions of the cervix and may be able to reduce many wonen's risk of cervical cancer. This was reported in the New England Journal of Medicine. The were able to prove an effective vaccine against cervical cancer is possible. However, this vaccine is not meant to treat existing cancer and is not a substitute for pap and hpv screenings. "the vaccine is made by recombinant DNA methods that produce 'virus like' particles that look like HPV to a person's immune system, but are not able to actually infect cells." "During 18 months of follow-up, none of the 768 young women given the vaccine developed lasting HPV-16 infections, or pre-cancerous conditions caused by HPV-16." There are 5 other similar vaccines for high risk type HPV that could prevent 85% of cervical cancer in the future. These vaccines could cut abnormal pap smears in the US by up to 70%. Eventually, successful vaccines could make cervical cancer mostly a part of medical history like polio and small pox. With tests not fully complete on these vaccines, (they are in an infant stage. More research must be done), the long term effects of the vaccines studies cannot be know as of yet. These vaccines may not be available for several years, and as of now are not designed for those already exposed to HPV.

Doctors are already taking steps in the right direction. Perhaps our lives won't be run by HPV. If they are already working on this and having it work......how long will it be before there is an actual vaccine for people with HPV? Lets all keep our fingers crossed and hope in our hearts! I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I have and I will be posting some more info that I find soon. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #154
    poweroutage
    (female)

poweroutage HB User

syl- from what i have read and understand HPV with warts and with the cancer are kinda the same except instead of warts you just have tiny little microscopic legions, so if thats the case then they would have been on the parts of the penis not covered by the condom. also i have read that the skin cells can fall off and you can get it without even having sex. i dont know for sure. i dont think anyone really does. but if your daughter said she used a condom i dont think she would lie. not at this point when you already know shes sexually active and infected...

beez- i almost started crying when i read that, that made me so happy. for the future to have no one ever have to experience this. thats all i can wish for, you know? i know theres alot of other diseases people would still have to deal with, but theres so much contradicting stuff about HPV i think it is the most confusing of all the diseases. it would be so great for it to be a thing of the past.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:24 PM   #155
    scared04
    (female)

scared04 HB User

Wow, quite a popular thread! I hope someone is still reading these....I had LEEP done in Dec and had my first wart come up after that. I now have my second one (I had the first removed at th DR)...my question is...how often will I get these, will it be EVERY month????? Also, what happens when I want to have sex??? Am I supposed to wait until I can get it removed again??? He has this too, so I am not worried about giving it to him initially, just worried about causing him to have another breakout too. Also, what happens when we marry and are ready to not use condoms any longer? Will I automatically get these internally?

Old 02-05-2005, 11:04 PM   #156
    beezkneez
    (female)

beezkneez HB User

Power....I felt the same exact way. No one should have to experience this disease. As emotional and stressful as it is, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Perhaps there is hope for us yet. Might be a few more years but....its a small step for man, a large step for mankind.

Selene....I know, it is wonderful! I am glad to hear that you only had a small affected area. The removal won't be bad if you even have to have a removal. If it isn't bad your dr might want to wait to see if your body supresses it or they will give you a light removal. Please let us know how your results turn out and keep in touch!

scared...well, no one can really tell you how long you will have breakouts. They will come and go but eventually your body should repress the virus and hopefully the breakouts will stop occuring. It usually takes about 2 yrs for your body to suppress it but however, this does not mean that you will never have another breakout and then again you may never have another breakout just depends on how you treat your body. My best advice is to wait to have sex until the wart is removed. Even though he has this too, there are many different types of HPV and you can have more than one strain. Condoms are not effective against outer genital HPV. The condom does not cover the entire affected area. The same strain of HPV though cannot be passed back and forth. You will not reaffect him with the same strain. About after you are married and the condom use....I wouldn't worry about that....like I said eventually your bodies will suppress it and hopefully not reoccurances will occure. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask us! We are all here with you

Last edited by beezkneez; 02-05-2005 at 11:43 PM.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:11 PM   #157
    beezkneez
    (female)

beezkneez HB User
    Post Re: HPV & Guilt

What every woman should know about cervical cancer and HPV.

One of the best and proven steps that you can take to prevent a cancer is to have a Pap test.

The women who have a greater chance of getting cervical cancer are those who have the HPV that can cause cervical cancer and it doesn't go away, those with HIV or AIDS, those who smoke, those who do not have pap tests as often as they should.

Condoms do not always protect from HPV but are very helpful in protecting from other infections that can be spread through sex.

Almost all women who have had sex will have HPV at some time, but very few women will get cervical cancer.

Next week or later this week I will post the Myths and Misconceptions of HPV.

Last edited by beezkneez; 02-05-2005 at 11:15 PM.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:35 PM   #158
    Havalina
    (female)

Havalina HB User

I'm dealing with the guilt thing at the moment, too. I was just diagnosed with HPV. I got it from my ex whom I dated for two years. The thing is, back when I dated him, I had an abnormal pap and went for a follow up. It came back fine. No HPV. Ok, great. So we eventually ended our relationship and I have been dating someone else for the past three years. And again, it seems like every time I would go for an annual pap, it would come back abnormal. So we would do a follow up. And it was always clear. So after my recent pap came back negative they decided to do some further tests for HPV. And wouldn't you know it that this time it came back showing HPV. And I'm wishing they had done these tests the FIRST time. Or told me that the repap was not enough to rule out HPV. Or maybe I should have just known. I just told my boyfriend about 1/2 hour ago, over the phone (we're long distance) and his reaction was just "I dont know what to say." Frankly, I don't blame him for being upset but I don't really know what to say when we speak again. I'm kind of in limbo at the moment.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #159
    ladivapr00
    (female)

ladivapr00 HB User

Alright sign me here in the HPV club lol. I'm really impressed on how common this virus seem to be wow. I just came from the gyn office, had an abnormal pap and she performed a colposcopy. I had my heart in my throath waiting for what she found. during that procedure. She said she did not found anything suspicious and no biopsys where taken. Man I was so relief!! I had readed this thread along with info on the web so I was very prepared. Anyways I can see now why one has to be so careful. I really had been, was virgin til 31 years old to avoid this sort of situation and poof got it from the first I decided to have sex with. HPV with a virtually a sexless life hahaha. Anyways I was relief at least is the low risk one, she just scheduled me to have a pap the next six months to see if it cleared on it's own.

I do have to ask beezkenez something. The doctor told me that a cone biopsy is a outpatient surgical procedure where you can go to work the next day. Why did you had such a long recovery from it?

Old 03-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #160
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

I have not been on here in a while to post but I still read. Hello everyone and everytime I read the cancer/cervical section, I'm always reading about those who get clean paps after the Leep or whatever surgery they had.

Which makes me feel at ease. I had a pap smear follow up after the clean Colop I had in Step. Hopefully all will be fine.

Don't you guys wish they made a pill so help get rid of the bad cells instead of doing operations? That would make my life so much eaiser.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #161
    ladivapr00
    (female)

ladivapr00 HB User

You know I wanted to say that doctors don't say much about this HPV thing probably cause the HPV is what makes them have $$. If nobody get's infected then they get no business!

Old 03-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #162
    beezkneez
    (female)

beezkneez HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladivapr00
    I do have to ask beezkenez something. The doctor told me that a cone biopsy is a outpatient surgical procedure where you can go to work the next day. Why did you had such a long recovery from it?

Ladivapr00, I'm not really sure. There are two types of Cone Biopsy removal procedures. One is by laser and the other is by cold knife which is done by scalple which I had. This may be the reason why it took me so long. By this way the doctor himself can determine how much to cut out. I'm sure after a couple of weeks that I could have gone to school but I would still have been in some pain. I'm a pretty petite person so that may be another reason it was so hard on me; all the stretching open to get to the cervix and such and depending on how much he cut out. Plus, every person is different with pain and healing and such. I had great results with my surgery though and I don't think that anyone who has to have it should be worried. You are put completely under and cauterized afterwards. I was also kept under supervision because I had abnormal bleeding afterwards because I am somewhat anemic. Typically a person goes home the same day.

Cocoeyes, they are developing a shot for HPV. Read one of my earlier posts about it. It's been quite a few weeks ago but progress is being made!!

Old 03-14-2005, 06:53 PM   #163
    M&Mgirl
    (female)

M&Mgirl HB User

hi all,

I have two strains of HPV--the kind that give you warts and the kind that can cause cervical cancer. I was diagnosed in December 03 and since then have had only one additional outbreak of the warts. Earlier this past fall, I had to have the surgery to get some pre-cancerous cells removed. I'm not sure what my procedure was called, but basically, they put me under, and (as my doctor put it) "blasted" a layer of cells off my cervix around the area the cancerous cells were growing. The doctor said there is only a 5% chance the cells will come back. The surgery was really easy -- one minute I was on the operating table, counting backward from 100, then I was waking up with my mom and boyfriend next to me. They remarked how it took no time at all, and how they didn't even have time for a little nap (the surgery was VERY early in the morning!). The doctor told me to stay in bed for 24 hours after wards. But I was in on a Tuesday and back to work by Friday. I did have some heavy spotting 7 days after the surgery, but apparently that's normal. They gave me Motrin to ease the bleeding.

All in all, for a surgery I was so scared to have, it went pretty well. Since then, I've been back for my 3 month and didn't get the "abnormal results" call, so I think I'm okay.

I feel very upbeat after reading all these posts. Beezkneez and others have been so helpful! I wish I'd known about this site when I was first diagnosed. Best of luck to you all!

Old 03-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #164
    ladivapr00
    (female)

ladivapr00 HB User

You know the thing with me is I'm praying I don't need anything done in the hospital cause my folks are living with me and no matter Im 32 years old they will flip out if they know I have an STD as simples as HPV is. They will be extremely dissapointed. (they think Im a virgin and that i will remain like that until marriage). When the doctor called me at home she left a message and oh gosh my parents asking me who that doctor was (fortunatetly they dont know english so they did not understood the message). If Im going to have complications from HPV i hope they occur after Im married!

Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #165
    beezkneez
    (female)

beezkneez HB User

M&Mgirl, I think what you might have had was a form of the cone biopsy like I had. Since they put you to sleep and all. It really wasn't too bad for me either. I am also glad to hear the cells are gone. Keep up taking care of yourself and have faith. We're always here when you need to talk about it!

ladivapr00, I was really afraid to tell my parents about it too. I thought my mom would be so disappointed in me. But I gave in and told her what it was all about. She took it really well and stood by me. So, I can understand what you are feeling. If the time comes that you have to tell them, just think back to all the information you have found here and elsewhere and help them to understand.

Closed Thread