It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• Sex After Leep...husband Has The Hpv

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
    Hope_for_better_days

Hope_for_better_days HB User
    Question Sex After Leep...husband Has The Hpv

Ok, I am so bummed today. The nurse called and the result of the pap smear is positive for high-risk HPV. The biopsy came as CIN-1. I am going to have to do a LEEP. The problem is that I am sure I will be exposed to this virus agains since I probably acquired from my husband (we started dating 11 months ago). The doctor believes it's from hubby because his previous girlfriend had to remove her abnormal cells also. I don't know if it was the same strain of HPV, but there is a high chance since he she was the last girlfriend before me.
    My question is: If I remove these cells with a LEEP will I be exposed again to the same virus when I have sex with him? Would I acquire immunity since I already have it, or would I be exposed again and again? Thanks,

Hope

P.S. I guess I am double lucky now since I got herpes last year and not this other bomb is dropping

Last edited by Hope_for_better_days; 07-26-2004 at 06:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 05:39 AM   #2
    lbp35
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lbp35 HB User
    Re: Sex After Leep...husband Has The Hpv

I had a scare once with abnormal bleeding and talked to my doc about hpv and cervical cancer. From what I understand you can't get the same strain twice. So once you get this taken care of you should be okay. My pap was okay but my husband's ex had cervical cancer so I am really up on getting my paps. Also you could call the std hotline, they were really helpful when I was stressing about this topic. Or just ask your doc!Good luck!

Old 07-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

The great thing about HPV is that you can't "reinfect" yourself. Once you have that specific strain, that's it. Unfortunately, the LEEP does not cure you (I've had 2 already). It only removes the infected cells so that new ones can grow.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lbp35
    I had a scare once with abnormal bleeding and talked to my doc about hpv and cervical cancer. From what I understand you can't get the same strain twice. So once you get this taken care of you should be okay. My pap was okay but my husband's ex had cervical cancer so I am really up on getting my paps. Also you could call the std hotline, they were really helpful when I was stressing about this topic. Or just ask your doc!Good luck!

Old 07-28-2004, 02:35 PM   #4
    Lucky_me

Lucky_me HB User

Hi KimRick,

This is very alarming! What was the stage of your dysplasia when you did your first and second LEEP?

Old 07-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #5
    Lucky_me

Lucky_me HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lbp35

So basically we cannot get infected but we can be reexposed to the virus throug sex, right?

Old 07-30-2004, 08:22 AM   #6
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

My dysplasia, the first time, was mild/moderate & severe the second time. My dr didn't get all of it this time, so now I have to go to an oncologist for ANOTHER surgery !

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lucky_me
    Hi KimRick,

This is very alarming! What was the stage of your dysplasia when you did your first and second LEEP?

Old 07-30-2004, 08:27 AM   #7
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

You can get infected, just not with the same strain twice. For example, with herpes, you can keep "reinfecting" yourself each time your exposed. With HPV, once you've been exposed, that's it - UNLESS you are introduced to a new strain, then you can reinfect yourself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lucky_me
    So basically we cannot get infected but we can be reexposed to the virus throug sex, right?

Old 07-31-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
    fear of surgery

fear of surgery HB User

I don't know what a LEEP is, something new no doubt...but I had a hysterectomy nearly 20 years ago for CIN III, finally diagnosed as being due to HPV. Charming....

My symptoms were abnormal bleeding off and on for a year - started with Class 2 PAP results; got some cream or other but it didn't help, of course; then had cryosurgery and repeat testing -- still not better; and then laser surgery of the cervix. After waiting several months, was tested again and diagnosed CIN III, so had hysterectomy within days.

Guess what -- NO cancer -- but had TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) which means they leave in the ovaries but take out the whole uterus AND cervix. In the old days, the option was a "cone biopsy" which may be somewhat like this LEEP you're all talking about. I opted for the TAH because I didn't want to have to repeat the process again. I have NEVER been sorry about the hysterectomy -- not one day.

So...if your LEEP procedures don't help, and someone suggests hysterectomy, go for it. It's not a huge deal at all.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #9
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

This may be a bit personal, but what was sex like after a hysterectomy? I'm at CIN III right now, but I want one more child before I'll consider the hysterectomy. I've had 2 LEEPS, so far.

Old 08-02-2004, 01:09 PM   #10
    Hope_for_better_days

Question Re: Sex After Leep...husband Has The Hpv

I am sorry to hear about your dysplasia coming back KimRick. Have you considered naturopathic treatment? Many people say that it is worth a try. I would try that first before a hysterectomy, but that's just me.
    What was the state of your CIN when you had your first leep? Do you know the type of hpv you have?

Last edited by Hope_for_better_days; 08-02-2004 at 01:13 PM.

Old 08-02-2004, 01:16 PM   #11
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

What is naturopathic treatments? My first LEEP was CIN I (7 years ago) and the last one that I had (2 months ago) was CIN III. I don't have HPV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hope_for_better_days
    I am sorry to hear about your dysplasia coming back KimRick. Have you considered naturopathic treatment? Many people say that it is worth a try. I would try that first before a hysterectomy, but that's just me.
    What was the state of your CIN when you had your first leep? Do you know the type of hpv you have?

Old 08-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #12
    Hope_for_better_days

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KimRick
    What is naturopathic treatments? My first LEEP was CIN I (7 years ago) and the last one that I had (2 months ago) was CIN III. I don't have HPV.

I believe you do have HPV because most people (I believe more than 90%)with CIN have HPV. Please find a good doctor that can do a HPV pap smear to identify what kind of HPV you have because I believe you have it, specially because it came back after the LEEP. Naturopathy is a more natural treatment of CIN and a lot of naturopaths find success with their treatments.

Please see this:

[url]http://www.healthy.net/library/journals/naturopathic/vol4no1/Escharotic.htm[/url]

Let me know what you think, Hope

Last edited by Hope_for_better_days; 08-02-2004 at 01:35 PM.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #13
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

It is true that MOST abnormal paps are due to HPV, but I was tested and the test came back negative. There are other factors, such as genes, smoking, & vitamin defiencies, that can cause a woman's pap to come back abnormal. I am a smoker, I am WAY deficient when it comes to vitamins and I do know that my aunt, grandmother, and great grandmother all have had problems with their cervix/uterus. There are ALOT of women out there that have some sort of cervical abnormality and don't have HPV, for example you become more subseptable (sp?) to cervical abnormalities the earlier a girl starts to have sex (I had my daughter when I was 17). The only difference is that when you have HPV, it only ups your chances of abnormalities.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hope_for_better_days
    I believe you do have HPV because most people (I believe more than 90%)with CIN have HPV. Please find a good doctor that can do a HPV pap smear to identify what kind of HPV you have because I believe you have it, specially because it came back after the LEEP. Naturopathy is a more natural treatment of CIN and a lot of naturopaths find success with their treatments.

Please see this:

[url]http://www.healthy.net/library/journals/naturopathic/vol4no1/Escharotic.htm[/url]

Let me know what you think, Hope

Old 08-03-2004, 01:31 PM   #14
    Lucky_me

Lucky_me HB User

Thank you for explaining that better. It is good that you don't have HPV then but it would be good if you stopped smoking. I know it might be hard in the beggining but it gets better with time. Good luck to you!

Old 08-04-2004, 03:24 AM   #15
    kay7k

kay7k HB User

kim you sound just like me i have cin3 also and i smoke i dont get the right vitamin had my first child at 17 i had sex at 13 very young now i'am 27 with this mess!!!my doctor never told my if she got all the precancer cells and she told me that my next pap will not be severe again i get my first post leep pap in oct.did your doctor tell you right after first leep they didn''t get it all or did they know from you post pap?

Closed Thread