It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• abnormal pap

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-01-2004, 09:55 AM   #1
    worriedforme

worriedforme HB User
    abnormal pap

I just had an abnormal pap. and I was told that I have a LGSIL ( lesion on my cervix). My question is that do I have HPV if I have a LGSIL? I am worried, or are there other reasons for having this lesion found on my cervix. I am in need of help cause I am one worried moma... please help if any one can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User
    Re: abnormal pap

LGSIL is an abbreviation for low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion, which, like other cervix epithelium changes, is associated with HPV infection. This is not typically the same strain of HPV that causes warts, though it is an STD.

It is considered a precancerous condition, but only at the beginning of the spectrum (the opposite end is invasive cancer), and there is some potential for spontaneous reversibility. Did the doctor schedule you for a colposcopy and biopsy? Some doctors will "wait and see" if the cells revert back to normal, but most doctors will remove the suspicious lesion(s).

Old 09-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
    worriedforme

worriedforme HB User

Thank you for you reply so soon. My doctor just did a colposcopy and biopsy on Friday last week. But all he kept on saying is that is is a low grade lesion and that I have HPV. and this is all before the test. what had me worried is that he was taking about the wart kind. I am getting married in 6 months and I have never cheated on my fiance. I also just got another reply that says it may not be hpv and it could be heritiy and stress and other reasons. I can relay to that cause I just got back from Iraq and I having a fight with my mother all at the same time. so could that be a real reason. I have so many concerns and I know nothing about this. The strains of HPV is that also goingto cause side affects like warts? If my partner has it, will he have the same strain as me or the warts kind? Or should I just wait my concerns until the labs come back.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Cervical dysplasia and other related lesions are caused by HPV. End of story. They are not caused by smoking, heredity, stress, etc. Those are factors that can increase the probability of you acquiring an HPV infection, and which can also cause you to show symptoms of the infection.

If you have only been with your fiance, you acquired the HPV infection from him. It is possible to have both high risk HPV (the kind that causes cervical abnormalities) and low risk HPV (the kind that causes warts).

This really isnt something to worry about too much. I know, easy for me to say, but as long as you are diligent about getting regular Pap smears (and you will have to go more frequently than normal) any abnormalities can be diagnosed and treated before they progress to cervical cancer. In general, cervical cancer is a slow growing disease, so it is fairly easy to catch if you are being monitored.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
    worriedforme

worriedforme HB User

So it is possible to have HPV and not have the warts kind. Or is it for sure that when you have HPV you will get warts sometime or another? I have the low grade lesions does that mean I will have warts? Also can HPV stay dormant in Men for a long time with out them knowing? and will this cause side effects (sexual discomfort) during sex for the both of us?

Old 09-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #6
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

I never said that you were guessing or even kidding, but I know for a fact that 3 test results from 3 different doctors tell me the truth. I also have a vast family history (mother's and father's side) of cervical cancer. Are you going to tell me that my grandmother, aunt, great grandmother, etc. all have HPV too?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reni
    I said it was impossible for two virgins *who have never had sexual contact with anyone* to acquire HPV. I didn't specify sexual intercourse. Sexual contact could mean naked hugging or things like that.

Yes, your results are wrong. If you have cervical dysplasia you have an HPV infection, and it is an STD. It isn't caused by anything else. If you find sites online that claim it is due to smoking or other factors, you are looking at outdated or erroneous information. These used to be suspected as possible causes (before there was HPV testing), but now we know that they just weaken the immune system, causing a latent HPV infection to manifest as cervical epithelium changes or warts.

I'm giving you the information as known to the general medical community. I'm not "guessing," "kidding" or making it up.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
    worriedforme

worriedforme HB User

Also does having HPV increas yeast infections?

Old 09-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #8
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KimRick
    Are you going to tell me that my grandmother, aunt, great grandmother, etc. all have HPV too?!
    Yes, they all do. It doesn't mean they were promiscuous. It means their partners were infected with the HPV virus.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:21 PM   #9
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worriedforme
    So it is possible to have HPV and not have the warts kind. Or is it for sure that when you have HPV you will get warts sometime or another? I have the low grade lesions does that mean I will have warts? Also can HPV stay dormant in Men for a long time with out them knowing? and will this cause side effects (sexual discomfort) during sex for the both of us?
    Yes, it is quite possible to have the kind of HPV that doesn't cause warts. Most cases of cervical dysplasia are NOT caused by the HPV associated with warts.

You have low grade epithelium changes. That's not the same as having the low risk (wart type) HPV. When they talk about high risk and low risk HPV, they are talking about high and low risk for cervical dysplasia. The HPV that causes warts doesn't usually cause cervical problems, so it is called "low risk."

HPV can stay dormant in men for a long time without them knowing, especially if they have the kind that does not produce warts. Then they would have no way of knowing they are infected.

Being infected with HPV shouldn't produce any discomfort during sex.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:30 PM   #10
    worriedforme

worriedforme HB User

Thank you so much for your insite. I ask that you check my question again because when I get my results I know I will have more question? You have been a great help. I feel a bit better now about my situation.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #11
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worriedforme
    Thank you so much for your insite. I ask that you check my question again because when I get my results I know I will have more question? You have been a great help. I feel a bit better now about my situation.
    You will be fine Most of the time your body can do a good job of suppressing the infection. You may not even get another abnormal Pap smear. Most likely this will be simply a minor nuisance, because you have to go for more frequent exams, but that's about it. It is very common. Good luck!

Last edited by reni; 09-01-2004 at 02:38 PM.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:45 PM   #12
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

I'm not arguing with you or anybody else, for that matter. I stated that there are other factors that would cause a woman to have abnormal cervical abnormalities and you stated that the only factor was HPV. Now you're stating that you didn't say that. In case you didn't know, dysplastic changes do cause "something" to happen to the cervix, it's called cancer. I thought you said that you had your masters?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reni
    All? I didn't say "all." We are talking about dysplastic changes, not anything that can ever happen to a cervix. I stand by what I wrote. I do believe we are arguing now and I don't think there is any point in saying the same things over and over. You don't want to believe you have an STD and that's ok by me if it makes you feel better The most important part is to monitor your situation, as you are doing.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:53 PM   #13
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastoff9600
    I have to agree with KimRick,my cousin in law had cervical cancer but has continually tested negative for HPV. Her husband also tested negative. .

Sorry, there is no high risk HPV test for men.

And the test does have false negatives, which can be ascribed to both human and methodological errors.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:49 PM   #14
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Well I know he had some tests done on him that came back negative,I never really got into detail on his tests so I did assume there was a test for him. The reason I do know of her tests is because since she is in the health care field she likes to watch out for other family members and whenever talk came up on stuff like that she would talk openly about it all. Just like I talk openly about my fertility issues with the family.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 09-01-2004, 08:41 PM   #15
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

Hello just wanted to say I have been through this. Last year when I was pregnant my pap came back LGSIL. After I delivered I had the colposcopy but no abnormal cells were seen so he just froze my cervix which I belive is called cryosurgery. Fast simple and basically painless procedure. I had to wait 3 months to repeat the pap and got my results last week... NORMAL!!! The doctor told me I had HPV and I asked her if my lab report said so and she said "no we don't test for it, we just assume you've got it if you have an abnormal pap smear." So I dont know it was a real shocker to me.

Reply Reply