It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• Does HPV always cause warts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User
    Does HPV always cause warts?

I know there are many diffrent strains of it. So my question would, if you are diagnosed with abnormal cells does this mean that you have the HIGH risk and you won't get the warts? I know a person can get both low HPV and HIGH HPV and the same time... Just wondering.

Last edited by cocoeyes; 09-02-2004 at 01:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
    SynGirl

SynGirl HB User
    Re: Does HPV always cause warts?

High risk means you have a higher chance of getting warts or abnormal cells on your cervix which could lead to cervical cancer. The lower risk hpv which is what I have, it just getting small warts on the outside and a little on the inside of you. When you are diagnosed with high risk hpv you need to get pap smears at least every 6 months.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

"There are high-risk and low-risk types of HPV. High-risk HPV may cause abnormal Pap smear results, and could lead to cancers of the cervix, vulva, vagina, anus, or penis. Low-risk HPV also may cause abnormal Pap results or genital warts." [URL=www.gothpv.net/messages/479.html]high/low HPV[/URL]

I have not seen it where the HIGH risk one causes the warts... Only abnormal cells. They say the low-HPV causes the warts.

Some types of HPVs are referred to as “low-risk” viruses because they rarely develop into cancer. HPVs that are more likely to lead to the development of cancer are referred to as “high-risk.” Both high-risk and low-risk types of HPVs can cause the growth of abnormal cells, but generally only the high-risk types of HPVs may lead to cancer. Sexually transmitted, high-risk HPVs include types 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 68, 69, and possibly a few others. These high-risk types of HPVs cause growths that are usually flat and nearly invisible, as compared with the warts caused by types HPV–6 and HPV–11. It is important to note, however, that the majority of high-risk HPV infections go away on their own and do not cause cancer.

[URL=http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/3_20.htm]more facts...[/URL]

Old 09-02-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
    ImASadGirl22

ImASadGirl22 HB User

keep reading all of this different information on hpv and i just have a question. a few years ago -about 2.5- i had an abnormal pap. turned out to be hpv. my dr did a colposcopy i guess its called - a biopsy- and that was it. i never had any of the freezing or leeps done like anyone else has said. at least I dont think so- if those are different from the biopsy? I have gone every 6 months for a pap since and they have continuely come back normal since.
    Now.... Does that mean that i have a high grade version of it - since i never had any other procedures done? If they came back high grade wouldnt some other procedure have been done?
    Just curious bc now im confused as to what extent i have this now. I didnt know there was so many different procedures for this until i found this board... and now am somewhat confused.
    I do remember my dr saying that she was using a vinegar type solution to see if anything shows up and i do recall her saying that they found 2 little spots. Does that mean the warts itself?
    And i read in another post about the different strains of it.... i dont know what strain i have (number wise). If i call my doctors office would they be able to give that to me??
    Im so confused now.... Any insight woud be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ImASadGirl22
    keep reading all of this different information on hpv and i just have a question. a few years ago -about 2.5- i had an abnormal pap. turned out to be hpv. my dr did a colposcopy i guess its called - a biopsy- and that was it. i never had any of the freezing or leeps done like anyone else has said. at least I dont think so- if those are different from the biopsy? I have gone every 6 months for a pap since and they have continuely come back normal since.
    Now.... Does that mean that i have a high grade version of it - since i never had any other procedures done? If they came back high grade wouldnt some other procedure have been done?
    Just curious bc now im confused as to what extent i have this now. I didnt know there was so many different procedures for this until i found this board... and now am somewhat confused.
    I do remember my dr saying that she was using a vinegar type solution to see if anything shows up and i do recall her saying that they found 2 little spots. Does that mean the warts itself?
    And i read in another post about the different strains of it.... i dont know what strain i have (number wise). If i call my doctors office would they be able to give that to me??
    Im so confused now.... Any insight woud be greatly appreciated.
    I'm not sure as to if they found 2 spots why they didn't treat those??? I've been having the mild state since last year and when they did my first colop it was (denied) meaning good. Now I'm still getting abnormal paps but it hasn't progressed so they are going to do another colop on me. Maybe yours went away because they do go away without any treatment when it's low grade/Mild dysplasia. My doctor told me they don't touch it if they don't find anything in the mild state because it's less being done to the cervix when it really doesn't need to be touched. My doctor wants to just monitor it. I recently started taking One a Day multivitamins and folic acid so that the next time they do another colop which will be done near the end of Sept. it hopefully will go away. Either way I think you should ask your doctor what's the deal.

Last edited by cocoeyes; 09-02-2004 at 04:22 PM.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
    ImASadGirl22

ImASadGirl22 HB User

This originally happened about 2.5 years ago and at the time the dr told me that they would just monitor it and i would have to go for paps every 6 months. But ever since they have come back fine.
    My friend works at a gyn office and when i asked her she said that they were probably so small and thats why? So, the "spots" she was talking about then were actual warts im guessing. I never thought i actually got any warts - bc ive never had them anywhere else. And im guessing since they didnt do any other procedure that they are low or mid grade then? Which would be better than the high grade one's correct?And unfortunatly my dr is no longer at that practice.. she just left a few months ago,(decided to take some time off after she got pregnant with her second baby) so i would probably have to have another dr go over all my charts and figure it out.
    I never thought any more about my hpv really (mainly bc i havent slept iwth anyone new and my paps keep coming back normal) until i started reading this board and reading so many different things about it confused me.

Last edited by ImASadGirl22; 09-02-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Old 09-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
    cocoeyes
    Veteran
    (female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ImASadGirl22
    This originally happened about 2.5 years ago and at the time the dr told me that they would just monitor it and i would have to go for paps every 6 months. But ever since they have come back fine.
    My friend works at a gyn office and when i asked her she said that they were probably so small and thats why? So, the "spots" she was talking about then were actual warts im guessing. I never thought i actually got any warts - bc ive never had them anywhere else. And im guessing since they didnt do any other procedure that they are low or mid grade then? Which would be better than the high grade one's correct?And unfortunatly my dr is no longer at that practice.. she just left a few months ago,(decided to take some time off after she got pregnant with her second baby) so i would probably have to have another dr go over all my charts and figure it out.
    I never thought any more about my hpv really (mainly bc i havent slept iwth anyone new and my paps keep coming back normal) until i started reading this board and reading so many different things about it confused me.
    One thing that my doctor always tells me is that every female’s body is different so you can't go by what someone else had to experience. But I truly do believe it's all on how well you take care of yourself after you've been diagnosed. My biggest fear is for them to take care of it with a procedure and it keeps coming back abnormal. My biggest concern is I being able to have kids and hoping that I won't have to go through so many different procedures.

Just talk to your doctor and whatever you’re doing to keep your paps from coming back abnormal keep doing it.

Last edited by cocoeyes; 09-02-2004 at 06:18 PM.

Closed Thread