It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• How many people have normal paps after being diagnosed w/HPV?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
    ImASadGirl22

ImASadGirl22 HB User
    Smile How many people have normal paps after being diagnosed w/HPV?

Hey all!

I keep reading all of the hpv threads and unfortuantly am reading that so many people have had to go through many procedures from HPV. I consider myself very lucky compared to what some of you have had to go through. I was diagnosed with hpv about 3 years ago and had to have a colpo a few weeks later. I thankfully did not have to have any other procedures done and have normal paps ever since. (Although I still have to go for paps every 6 months.)
    THANK GOD!
    With that being said...Is anyone else coming back with normal paps after any procedures? And how long has it been since you have had an abornmal pap?
    I just keep thinking that maybe it will give some people hope.. hearing that it is not going to necessarily be such a stress and huge deal all the time.
    Granted we all know that there are many different strains of the virus and what not, but at least hearing that there is hope out there can be very comforting.
    I know when I was initially diagnosed I was freaked out thinking many things. Not knowing what to think, and thinkng that i would have to go for procedures ALL THE TIME. I thought that it was going to be a constant thing.
    I feel for anyone with this disease. For anyone that has had to go through numerous procedures, my thoughts are truely with you. And to the people that are having normal paps now, congrats and keep up whatever you have been doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    Re: How many people have normal paps after being diagnosed w/HPV?

I was diagnosed with HPV about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago. I had the leep procedure done because it was moderate dysplasia. I have had normal paps ever since then. I think the reason that you don't see people posting the positive side is because people normally come here and post when they have a problem. If all is fine then they really don't talk about it. I post about it every time I get a normal pap back from the doctor just so I can show people that there is hope.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I had my first abnormal pap with mild dysplasia last year. I had the colposcopy and the result for that was mild also. I waited six long months and had another pap which was normal. I just had my second pap since the dysplasia and I'm awaiting the results. Hoping and praying it's normal.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

You go for paps every six months still? I'm asking because my doctor told me if this one is normal I could go back to yearly. I told her I would feel more comfortable to come back in six months again so she is going to let me do that. I was wondering how long I should continue the six month paps.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
    susieq0726
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I had an abnornal pap, had a colposcopy and never had another problem. Normal paps for the past three years.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #6
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

After I had the leep I had to go in every 4 months for two years. Then now for the next year I go in every 6 months. Then I can go back to once a year. I will be at the 3 year mark after this January. So with my doctor I had to go in more then once a year for 3 years because I had moderate dysplasia and had to have it removed.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:41 PM   #7
    db2kp
    (female)

db2kp HB User

I had an abnormal pap early in 2003. Had a colpo done, mild displesia. Had to go back in 6 months, again a colpo, and less than mild displesia. 6 months again, colpo, mild displesia. The dr. decided to schedule me for a leep. Had the leep done in mid June this yr. Everything is fine. Just had a pap last wk, everything is fine.
    You HAVE to be checked every 3 months after a Leep, for the first year!
    Then in the second yr, after no abnormal paps, every 6 months.
    Then the 3rd yr, after no abnormal paps, back to once/yr.

How about this one....my Dr. never told me that this was related to HPV. I read about it and then questioned her. That's when she told me that I was one of the 80% of women who have HPV. Now, who gave it to me?
    Doesn't that **** you off?

Old 10-27-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

I found out right away that it was HPV. The nurse called me at work and told me I had warts and it was in the form of dysplasia on my cervix. What an idiot calling me at work like that. I totally broke down crying at work and could not tell anyone why. Then the anger I went through knowing I had contracted this. I know who it was from though. I was in a long term relationship with someone for 7 years then we broke up for about two months and I was with someone else at that time and found out later he was a real hound dog. Me and my long term bf have gotten back together since then and are married now. But yeah I understand the anger. I don't think I have ever been so angry at someone in my life. That was back when I first found out and it was years ago. I am not angry like I was then but if I ever saw that guy again I would have some pretty loud words for him.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:57 PM   #9
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

I had my first abnormal pap in 1998. Started going every six months, then every three, had the colpo over and over,biopsies, even a cone biopsy! I actually started to think about ignoring the doc and not going back every three months b/c the answer was always the same! Never getting any worse, never any better.

But FINALLY in 2002, I had a normal pap! And the nurse just called me yesterday to tell me that my last one was normal too. So now, after all this time, I can start going back to once a year. YES!!! So this just shows that it can go on for a long time and still turn out with a good resolution.

As an aside, I had that (relatively) new test where they determine what type of HPV you have, and it isn't one of the high risk ones! I don't know what I would have done with that info earlier, but it would still have been nice to have.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2004, 03:59 AM   #10
    victoria48
    Veteran
    (female)

victoria48 HB User

In the UK we do not get tested for HPV so I don't know for sure if have it or not. I had my first abnormal smear (pap) test with borderline changes in Summer of 2000 then waited 6 months to see if the changes went back to normal. They didn't so I had a colposcopy around Spring of 2001 where they found CIN1 and froze away the cells.

I had normal smear tests in the Springs of 2002 and 2003, however, this year has showed borderline changes again.

I need to wait until Feb 2005 then have another smear test to see if the cells have gone back to normal. I don't have much hope that they will but fingers crossed.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:13 AM   #11
    db2kp
    (female)

db2kp HB User

I was told that if you have an abnormal pap and have to have a colposcopy done, that you have a form of HPV. HPV if not detected or watched can evolve into cervical cancer.

The Dr. gave me this information:

In the 1800's, when woman were not tested as they are now. A man would marry a woman, she would die of cervical cancer, then he would remarry. And, guess what? His new wife would end of dying of cervical cancer.

Men are carriers and it goes undiagnosed in men, so it keeps spreading.
    This is why 80% of women have HPV.

Also,she mentioned that the virus can be looming and not show up for a while. For instance, mine was detected when I was stressed to the max. My mom was very ill and I had a new boyfriend. I'm in my 40's.
    she said that a virus can bring it out or stress. So, I can't say when I contracted it, if it was laying dormant for a long time.
    I thought maybe it was the new guy, but, who knows?

Closed Thread