It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• Confused regard Atypical/HPV

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
    maxxmommy727
    (female)

maxxmommy727 HB User
    Cool Confused regard Atypical/HPV

My best friend and I both went for paps together because we were nervous and mine came back fine but she called me hysterical to let me know her pap came back abnormal - she said the doctor said atypical and the shocker was she tested positive for high risk HPV. Her doctor said she has to go for a coposcopy to get a clearer idea on what is going on. I don't know much about these things so I probably am not a comfort to her-but I do know lots of us have HPV. So far my tests never have showed I do-but that means nothing because it could be dormant. Her doctor seems to think it is nothing for her to be so scared about and he also told her if it does turn out to be a little something it most likely is something he can fix in the office by removing the cells. Nothing anyone says takes away the thought of cancer being a possibility. Is this Atypical result really bad?

I appreciate any info that can be given to me so perhaps I can help her out with. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
    LCGirl
    (female)

LCGirl HB User
    Re: Confused regard Atypical/HPV

Hi there,

If they used the term atypical, they may have meant ASCUS-Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance. This could be just due to irritation or inflamation. This result is the lowest level of an abnormal PAP. Usually they will wait 3-4 months and do a repeat PAP. Perhaps because your friend tested positive for high risk HPV they want to do the colposcopy instead of waiting. This is just taking a look at the cervix with a high powered microscope and then they may do a biopsy. The biopsy will be able to tell what your friend has, whereas the PAP only tells that there is something unusual going on. My doctor told me that up to 80% of people with this type of result clear up on their own within a year. Your friend should not panic. Even if she has low-grade (or even high grade) dysplasia, she is still far from cancer as these cellular changes take years to turn to cancer. That's why it is so important to have regular exams to catch these things early. Even the highest grades of dysplasia and even cervical cancer itself is very treatable.

Also, when one's immune system is down HPV is more likely to become active, which causes the cellular changes. If your friend smokes, she should quit. She may also want to look into a vitamin regimen and eating a healthy diet if she isn't already.

Hope this helps!

~LCG

Last edited by LCGirl; 07-25-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
    maxxmommy727
    (female)

maxxmommy727 HB User
    Re: Confused regard Atypical/HPV

Thanks for your response-I will share the info with her. As far as smoking - that is not an issue - she does not smoke but she has been under alot of stress for the last six months so maybe that played a part in this. I always tell her to stop stressing but I guess everyone is different with stress. Thanks

Closed Thread