It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• Can partner reinfect me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
    devushka88
    (female)

devushka88 HB User
    HPV+, upcoming LEEP

Hey ladies (and gents?)
    I'm a 19 year old in a monogamous relationship and in july of this year i tested positive for hpv. both my partner and i were tested before we had unprotected sex, but ironically neither of us had any idea men couldnt be tested until i came up positive. then of course the information came in floods. a lot of good it does after the fact. when i got the results back i barely knew what hpv was. my only information came from gardasil commercials and i was determined to be "one less", thought i was being smart enough by getting tested...

the days after i got my results back were very emotional and very scary. i felt like i was in completely uncharted territory. my love and i did some crying, a lot of research and a lot of apologizing to eachother (seeing as we dont know who gave it to whom) but now that i've had some time to sit with it im feeling better informed and less afraid.

i had a colposcopy in mid-august and i had one low grade lesion. my doctor recommended we do the Loop Electrical Excision Procedure (LEEP) just to make sure that the low grade lesion isnt hiding anything more dangerous under the surface. she also told me that the LEEP is extremely effective - as many as 90% of women who get it show no further cellular abnormalities at their next pap ( i did independent research and johns hopkins says the same)

im nervous about the procedure since the colposcopy and several biopsies i recently had done were painful (not to mention unpleasant - bright lights shining in your face, cold speculum, you know the drill...) but i feel like it's the best option, rather than waiting to see if anything else develops...

i have a question though. since my man cant be tested to see if the virus is still active in his system, is it possible for him to reinfect me after i test negative for HPV? i just cant even imagine how terrible it would be to go through the colpo, biopsies, LEEP, one pap every 3 months for a year and then then think that it had gone dormant just to find that the man i love reinfected me.

i dont know if this matters, but i have been inoculated with the complete series of Gardasil (but i had only received the first 2 shots when my results came back positive.) my doctor recommended that i go through with the last one because at least then i cant be infected with those particular strains (seeing as there are dozens of them)

any words of wisdom?

if youve just come up positive: think thoughts of healing, envision healthy happy bodies, and keep yourselves informed!

here's to someday not having to be afraid of making love.

keep loving! be safe and well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
    piperpilot
    (male)

piperpilot HB User
    Re: HPV+, upcoming LEEP

It's likely that you have both been exposed to each others virus'--the infection does not "ping-pong" back and forth as a result of re-exposure like bacterial infections. However, there is no guarantee that excision of your lesion(s) will prevent a future infection. That will more likely be determined by your body's immune system and your lifestyle; smoking, stress, diet, excercise.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User
    Re: HPV+, upcoming LEEP

hi devushka,

i wanted to reply to your post because you mentioned that you might get a LEEP for a low-grade lesion that was found on your biopsy-- I'm assuming you have CIN I? Well, please don't get a LEEP for that! Of course, this is your choice ultimately, but LEEPs are used for CIN II or CIN III-- more high-grade abnormalities.

CIN I is a very common thing for young women and most women who have CIN I will clear it on their own (I think around 70% of CIN I will spontaneously regress). I'm just informing you that some doctors over-treat to nip the problem in the bud, but also, in your case, a LEEP is totally unnecessary.

I know how scary this all is-- I'm in a similar situation (I have CIN I-II) but I'm holding off on a LEEP for just now as my second opinion gyno told me not to get a LEEP just yet.

So please seek a second opinion at least before plunging into a LEEP for CIN I. In any case, I know this is such a pain and how frightening it is! Try and think positively, stay healthy, quit smoking if you do, and avoid stress. Boosting our immune systems is the only and best way to suppress this nasty HPV! Take care

Closed Thread