It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• Does hpv always give an abnormal pap??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
    Kaylynn904
    (female)

Kaylynn904 HB User
    Does hpv always give an abnormal pap??

On May 22 I had a pap smear that came back normal. The first time I ever had sex with my boyfriend was somewhere between May 25th and 28th. In early August I noticed some warts so I went to get another pap smear. That one came back abnormal, and I have hpv/genital warts. I haven't slept with anyone except by bf since my normal pap. He says he got tested and he was fine.
    Is it possible that somene I slept with before my bf gave me hpv and it just didn't show up on the first pap? Or is my bf lying and it was him?

So I guess my question in Does Hpv always give you an abnormal pap??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
    piperpilot
    (male)

piperpilot HB User
    Re: Does hpv always give an abnormal pap??

You may have been exposed to the HPV virus anytime you had sex, whether with your current BF or a previous partner. Since there is no HPV test for men, I wonder what your BF meant by "tested"? Just because a male exhibits no visible signs, like warts, it does not mean that he doesn't have HPV. Even if his Dr. did an acetic acid test on his penis, this would not be conclusive. Additionally, some strains of HPV cause warts in both men and women, and other strains only cause dysplasia in women. Type 16, however, can cause both. Many people have more than one type. While it is possible that you had HPV prior to having sexual relations with your current BF, the timeframe you have indicated would make me suspicious. However, I say that, not because it really matters who had it first, but because it sounds like his primary concern is self-vindication. CDC reports indicate that sexually active adults have an 80% liklihood of HPV infection at some time in their life. He should open the idea that he may have exposed you without knowing it because it is very, very common.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
    Kaylynn904
    (female)

Kaylynn904 HB User

Thanks for the reply. So if there is no hpv test for men how do they know if they have it?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
    piperpilot
    (male)

piperpilot HB User

Unless there are warts, we don't know if we have it or not. That's also why there is no vaccine for men; there is very little risk to men. Penile cancer and anal cancer in men can occur as a result of HPV but it is fairly rare.

Urologist sometimes use an acetic acid test (saok penis in vinegar for 5 minutes) then look for acetowhite areas with a magnifying glass, just like they do during a colposcopy. This can make it possible to see otherwise invisible warts or lesions, but then tests determined that some "sub-clinical lesions" do not always turn white, in addition to the fact that other areas of seemingly healthy skin that do not show any sign of lesion, may test positive for the presence of HPV particles. There is still some question as to whether or not these sub-clinical lesions are contagious or not. Warts will usually turn white with application of vinegar and seen with magnifying glass.

Last edited by piperpilot; 09-25-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
    roddzane
    (female)

roddzane HB User

He may not have been the one that you got this from because HPV can also lay dornmat......not to say it wasn't him, however you can have a pap where it shows up and then not have one came back for years. There is still so much that is not known about HPV!!

Closed Thread