It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• Cervical Dysplasia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
    lankybergy
    (female)

lankybergy HB User
    Cervical Dysplasia

If recently diagnosed with Cervical Dysplasia, how long previously would it have been first in my system. Say, how long ago did this happen to me. Or does Cervical Dysplasia have extreme variations in time frame from say a sexual partner to diagnosed, if recieving regular PAP Exams and checkups?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
    Re: Cervical Dysplasia

Hi,

There's really no way to tell how long you may have had dysplasia or HPV (if you've been diagnosed with HPV.) Sometimes HPV can lie dormant for years before causing any problems. Sometimes you can have HPV without it ever causing dysplasia. Sometimes you can have dysplasia (or even cervical cancer) without having HPV. Sometimes you can have dysplasia without ever getting cervical cancer. Sometimes you can get cervical cancer after having dysplasia for a year, but more often than not, it could take 10 to 12 years.

There are just so many variables when it comes to HPV, dysplasia, and cervical cancer.

Hugs,

Lisa

Old 09-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
    msremi
    (female)

msremi HB User

I had regular pap smears from the time I was 18. At 43 I had my first bad pap smear. I have been married for 20 years and was told by several docs that this virus, hpv, can lie dormant for this long or maybe even longer. I had a hard time when I was first told I had hpv. I thought you had to be sexually active (in the present) to get hpv. I personally think that stress brought this out so I am trying hard to look at things differently and be happier.

Educate yourself on the subject, but don't beat yourself up as to where this could have come from.

Good Luck,

msremi

Old 09-30-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
    piperpilot
    (male)

piperpilot HB User

Shashi--

I am curious why you state that one can have cervical cancer without having HPV? I am unaware of any research that does not indicate that cervical cancer always has a HPV as a co-factor, and in most all documented cases, is a result of current or previous HPV infection. Have you found information to the contrary? I would be very interested in this. Thank you!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
    sarmee
    (female)

sarmee HB User

Hello. I just wanted to say that I was told by my doctor that you can get cervical cancer without having hpv. It is common if it runs in your family. I also was told if my mom took some kind of pill when she was pregnant with me that they discontinued you can be at risk for it but I forgot the name of it.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
    mamabear123x
    (female)

mamabear123x HB User

I was treated for CIN II when I was 22. I've been fine until now, 21 years later. I now have CIN I. It was found on colposcopy not on my pap.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piperpilot View Post
    Shashi--

I am curious why you state that one can have cervical cancer without having HPV? I am unaware of any research that does not indicate that cervical cancer always has a HPV as a co-factor, and in most all documented cases, is a result of current or previous HPV infection. Have you found information to the contrary? I would be very interested in this. Thank you!
    Hi Piperpilot,

According to the American Cancer Society, HPV causes >99 percent of all cervical cancers. While that's almost 100%, there is still that small percentage of rare cases of cervical cancer that are not caused by HPV.

Through the years, I've learned not to believe in absolutes in anything, especially the medical field. Things change; new research comes along and negates old research. The whole HPV area is still rather new, and there is always more to learn.

Hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 10-02-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Closed Thread