It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

successful child birth stories with high risk hpv

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: htown
Posts: 5
jlg18 HB User
successful child birth stories with high risk hpv

i am only nineteen years old and i want to have kids when i get older. i am in no rush to have them now. i just recently found out that i have high risk hpv. my dream when i was older was to have children, i feel like since i have this i may not be able to have children in the future. i am all for adoption, but i def want some of my own. i was just wondering if anybody out there has high risk hpv and has had children and would like to share their story? it would make me feel a lot better, thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 10-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Posts: 251
LAgirl81 HB User
Re: successful child birth stories with high risk hpv

Hi there,

I haven't had kids yet as I'm not ready for them (I'm 26) but I've had high-risk HPV for a couple of years now. I just recently developed cervical dysplasia from my HPV and I'm waiting to see next month if I need a LEEP or if my dysplasia has regressed (as it can in some cases).

You must not think that because you have HPV that you won't have kids. There are a LOT of women on this board who've had LEEPs, cryo, and cone biopsies who successfully had babies afterwards. The only risk that HPV poses to your fertility is getting treatments (like the LEEP) to remove the abnormal tissue from your cervix. Most treatments are successful and have no negative effect on your fertility. Only about 1-2% of women who've had these minor surgeries experience problems, and in those cases (if they have a weakened cervix or scar tissue obstructing the entrance of the cervical canal), there are ways to remedy those problems, allowing these women to have their babies safely.

So don't worry! I understand your fears as this is in the back of my mind that I may have to get a LEEP and may fall into that 1-2% of women who experience complications. But you must put things in perspective (this helps me, too): even in the worst case scenario, you develop dysplasia from your HPV and you have to get a LEEP or cone biopsy. You have a 99-98% chance of being able to have a baby normally. And even if you fall into that 1-2%, your OB will be able to monitor you closely to make sure that you will be able to deliver your baby with no major problems.

I hope this helps! Remember that having HPV does NOT mean you won't have kids-- HPV has no correlation to infertility. Take care!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: chesapeake,VA USA
Posts: 9
gabluzee HB User
Re: successful child birth stories with high risk hpv

Hope this story helps! Here goes:
One of my friends had high-grade dysplasia as a result of HPV when she was 20. She ended up having LEEP surgery not once, but twice in a matter of a few years. The good news is that several years later she had two healthy babies with no problems other than typical pregnancy woes. The other happy ending to this story is that she has also has had normal pap smears since then (she's in her 30s now).
So, keep positive thoughts and keep getting those regular checkups with your doctor. I hope every woman's story ends up as happily as my friend's!!

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
My quest for a child darkwater Share Your Infertility Story 1 03-11-2008 10:58 AM
Birth Story Amy 333 Infertility 9 02-23-2008 04:36 AM
Jeremy s Birth Story Amy 333 Pregnancy 3 02-16-2008 09:17 AM
Lupus and successful pregnancy? tammyd Lupus 8 04-04-2006 01:50 AM
C Reactive Protein and Birth Control Pills Jeannie22277 Birth Control 0 02-20-2005 07:21 AM
C Reactive Protein test and Birth Control Pills Jeannie22277 Heart Disorders 0 02-20-2005 07:17 AM
Men watching natural birth of child ladivapr Sexual Health - Men 7 12-09-2004 08:25 PM
The birth control and Cervical dysplasia or cancer cocoeyes Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 0 09-22-2004 12:50 PM
Does anyone here take birth control pills? Sky77 Thyroid Disorders 4 03-17-2004 01:43 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Site owned and operated by
1998-2018 All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!