It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• abnormal pap, hpv, and colposcopy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
    stainremoval

stainremoval HB User
    abnormal pap, hpv, and colposcopy

In August 2007 I had an abnormal pap showing mild dysplasia. Since I was only 20 and it was my first abnormal pap, the doctor wasn't concerned and said I could either have a follow up in 6 months or a year. In June 2008, I had another pap done. The results were normal but "inconclusive", which I guess means that they did not get enough of the cells in the higher risk area (?). In October 2008 I had another pap done, and it came back abnormal. They tested for HPV and I tested positive for high risk strains.

I am about to go have a colposcopy done (in about 2 hours actually) and I am freaking out a bit. I had the paps done at the student health center at my university and the doctors and nurse practitioners there were very nice and friendly but told me absolutely nothing about the colposcopy procedure or anything related. They gave me a referral to another doctor to have the actual colposcopy done. So basically, I have no idea what to expect except for what I've read on the internet, and I'm pretty scared!

Any advice, wisdom on what to expect, and particularly your own similar experiences would be truly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: abnormal pap, hpv, and colposcopy

Hi Stainremoval! I see you have already gone for your colpo. How did it go? Did your doctor have to take any pinch biopsies? Were you able to get some questions answered from the doctor?

I'm glad your doctor went ahead and sent you for the colpo so that he/she/they had a better idea of what was going on with your cervix.

Take care and write back.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
    stainremoval

stainremoval HB User

It actually went really well. She said that everything looked fine and she didn't see anything suspicious at all, but she did do a pinch biopsy just to double check and I'll find out next week. Most likely I will just need to get another pap in 6 months.

This was a new doctor and she was really great, I'm feeling quite relieved about the whole thing.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Oh good! I assume she used the Monsel's solution after doing the biopsy. You know what to expect as far as discharge, right?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
    Boubear09
    (female)

Boubear09 HB User

I had a colpo done last week and the did a biopsy as well. They told me I may have some discharge and also to wear a pad of some sort because they put something on my cervix to keep it from bleeding and said if that gets on your clothes it will stain, they also said when it comes into contact with blood it may turn into what looks like little coffee grinds as well as a possibly odor. I had pretty much no discharge what so ever (other then what it normal for me), I didn't notice any of the "coffee grind" description they had told me about and I didn't notice any odor. So I think it went well, it was my first colpo. It wasn't uncomfortable at all, the only thing that I had discomfort with was the biopsy. That didn't feel good. The reason for the colpo is my pap came back as high grade, I got my results tues that the biopsy came back as cervicitis but they want to go ahead with a LEEP procedure seeing as on how the pap initially came back high grade. I"m not looking forward to that seeing as on how my husband and I are trying to concieve and that will interfear with our plans, but I guess you gotta put your health first. I hope all is well now and you get everything cleared up as need be

Closed Thread