It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• 26 weeks pregnant and high grade dysplasia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
    JLove76
    (female)

JLove76 HB User
    26 weeks pregnant and high grade dysplasia

I recently had an abnormal pap which come back as high grade dysplasia . If i am 28 weeks will they do any kind of procedures on my cervix or will they need to wait til after I deliver the baby to do the Leep or Cone surgery? Im very worried but keep praying that I will be ok. Others have went through this but its scary.Please share your story if possible. I am very concerned about this and reading feedback will help ease my mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: 26 weeks pregnant and high grade dysplasia

I have never been pregnant, so I can't offer a lot of help. I can only share what I've read. I've read of one woman who had a procedure while she was pregnant. Other women have waited until after delivery. I think it might have to do with what the doctor saw, the biopsy report, and the woman's pap history.

I know that doesn't offer a lot of help, but I wanted to jump in and tell you what little I know.

What has your doctor said?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
    Re: 26 weeks pregnant and high grade dysplasia

Hey,

Are you getting a colposcopy? They will probably do a biopsy which will be able to tell you your exact diagnosis. High grade dysplasia on a pap usually corresponds to CIN 2 or CIN 3. These are usually treated, but I don't think there would be an issue with waiting until after the pregnancy.

Here's a statistic given to me by my gynecologic oncologist: if left untreated for an entire year, CIN 3 has only about a 3% chance of becoming cancer.

They did this study and Johns Hopkins a while ago where they purposefully followed women with CIN 3 for 15 weeks without treating them. They wanted to see who's lesions would spontaneously get better. They figured it was pretty safe to not treat them for 15 weeks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that is't pretty safe to wait for treatment!

I know they can do a LEEP or cone while pregnant, but if it's CIN 2 I think they would definitely recommend waiting. For CIN 3 they might give you the option of treatment now, but like I said, waiting is quite safe. Especially if you've had regular normal paps before this. Then they would know that you haven't had dysplasia for that long, and the chance it it becoming cancer in the next few months would be very slim.

Last edited by LilyL21; 05-06-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Closed Thread