It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• HPV high-risk

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
    Seeker44
    (female)

Seeker44 HB User
    HPV high-risk

First, is this just a bunch of people talking to each other or are there some medical people who can give real answers?
    I have been diagnosed with "a high-risk HPV"
    Is is necessary to be type-tested?
    I am scheduled to see gynocologist (gp did pap smear) but do not understand why. My pap smear of one month ago came back with no atypical cells, but positve for HPV. Is there really anything that can be done?
    If I discontinue sexually activity will my body have a better chance of fighting the virus?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: HPV high-risk

Hi Seeker, this is "just a bunch of people talking." Even if someone is in the medical profession it violates the User Agreement here to make professional claims (or something similar to that) of information about the thread's topic. At least that's who I understand the rules.

Many of us have done a lot of research and speak from our personal experience with HPV (and over on the cancer: cervical and ovarian board).

I can relate to your situation. In December of 2007 my doctor (GP) offered the HPV test when she did my annual pap. I have a 25+ year history of good, annual paps. I've been with my husband (monogamously) for 15+ years (at that point, now almost 17 years). My pap came back clear, as usual. The HPV test (the first time I have ever been tested) came back positive for high risk HPV. After 2 appointments just to talk about HPV and what the results meant, my doctor sent me to a gynecologist for a colposcopy and possible ECC. Normally, she waits 6 months and retests. She decided (because I was so anxious? I don't know) to send me right away.

The gyno did the colposcopy, but I didn't have any abnormal cells on my outer cervix. Just the check, she did the ECC. It found some abnormal cells. I won't go into what happened from there, I've written about it a LOT (esp on the cervical cancer board), but I thank God that my GP did the HPV test and the gyn did the ECC.

To answer a few of your other specific questions, not every doctor tests to determine specific strains of HPV. Mine didn't.

I'm not sure what you mean by "is there anything that can be done?" Are you asking what the next step is? what you can do to help your body fight the virus? The answer to those questions could depend on how old you are, what your doctor has already suggested, etc.

There are two different general lines of thought on intercourse with high risk HPV. The most general opinion is that if you are in a monogamous relationship, then you can continue having intercourse (as you always have) without added problems. A newer line of thought (and I've only read on study) says that continuing intercourse (in a monogamous relationship) while using condoms help the body heal the HPV. It doesn't get rid of the HPV, but it helps the body heal the damage from the HPV. I don't know if that is true or not.

Regardless, if someone is not in a monogamous relationship, then it is likely (and generally considered highly likely) to get another strain of HPV from the new partner(s). It is also highly likely to transmit any strain of HPV you have to the new partner.

I want to add one more thing. There are some (many?) people in the medical profession who are not current on their HPV information. Just because someone has MD, DO, or RN after his/her name doesn't mean he/she is the authority on HPV. There is a lot of new information about HPV in the last 5 years or so. Research is always being done. The volumes of information known about HPV grows daily.

I hope this helps a bit. Ask whatever questions you have. We'll try to answer your questions the best we can.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
    sduffy
    (male)

sduffy HB User

high risk HPV is just a certain strain of HPV more prone to causing cancer than another strain. Try aldara and / or papitrol among your other methods. You dont want cancer!! i have high risk for cervical cancer type strain and got rid of it with this combo

Last edited by sduffy; 05-21-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
    Seeker44
    (female)

Seeker44 HB User

Thank you for the information. Not certain topical creams will work in my case since in have no visible symptoms. Apparently the HPV I have does not cause liesons or warts or it has not thus far. I do appreciate your response and I will follow up with a doctor. I am glad to hear you have found something to work for you. Please let me know if I ever misundertand what you are trying to tell me as this is all very new to me.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
    Seeker44
    (female)

Seeker44 HB User

Thank you so much for this response. I saw the gyno yesterday and he stated that unless I insisted he saw no point in putting through procedures as my pap smear was normal. I do not know if my test for HPV was the first or given previously. I will find out as this could be valuable information...knowing how long I have had HPV. I do not know the type-specific HPV and it was explained to me there are 20+ high-risk and that knowing the type is not required.
    The gyno told me to not be too concerned and re-test in one year. After acquiring more information from you folks I may change my mind but will not obsess about the matter.
    Here is my rather interesing story regarding sexual activity. I was widowed nine years ago and thrown out into the dating scene. I was with a man in what I thought was a monogomous relationship for years only to discover I was the only one participating in monogomy and ending up with a pelvic infection and herpes. Being a responsible person I only sought others who have herpes and were willing to have complete STD testing should there be any interest. Here is the rub; there is no HPV test for men, and, many individuals with herpes have had several sex partners either by choice or circumstance making HPV a real possibility.
    Currently I am in a loving, relationship and we are committed to each other. I met him through a herpes group which indicates his responsible nature. He understands that he more than likely also has HPV but is only concerned for my health.
    Thank you again for your response. Please correct any misconceptions I may have and add further information.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

There are no creams, pills, or other potions that help "get rid of" high risk HPV. At least not according to standard resources (like the Center for Disease Control, American Mecial Association, etc). There *are* creams that help with low risk HPV, though.

Seeker, I'm sorry to hear that your partner (and for so long) was not monogamous and exposed you to HSV, among other things.

I can't remember (if you told us) how old you are. If you are under 30, then I can understand your doctor doing the wait-and-recheck. If you are over 30, then I strongly encourage you to pressure your doctor to order a colposcopy . . . or find another doctor. Women under 30 are typically able to fight HPV infections (so they don't cause more problems, even though they will have the virus for life). Women over 30 are not as likely to fight the virus.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

When is your next appointment?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
    B3achbabi
    (female)

B3achbabi HB User

I was reading some of your post about how you have HSV & HPV. I was just diagnosed with High risk,low grade HPV, my boyfriend has HSV2. I am just totally confused on what to do because a lot of people say i should leave him just bc of the herpes, i know herpes also increases my chances of cervical cancer having hpv.

Im going to try to talk to him to see if he will take valtrex,or inquire about it and condoms is a must with both of these situations. i was wondering your opinion since your in a situation i could potentially be in. I have not been tested for HSV yet i am waiting 4 months before a blood test to see if i have any antibodies built up.

Closed Thread