It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• hpv infection reoccurance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
    somegirl1
    (female)

somegirl1 HB User
    hpv infection reoccurance

i was diagnosed with hpv maybe 3 years ago when i got an abnormal pap. i had the colposcopy and there were no high risk cells, just an hpv infection. i had another pap 6 months later and it was still abnormal. 6 months after that i had a follow up and it was normal. one year after that one i just got antoher abnormal pap. i was just wondering if this has happened to anyone and what that means. i scheduled my colposcopy but its not for another two weeks. i don't have any signs of warts but i have been experiencing pain during intercourse. is that a sign of warts? i'm really nervous about having this show up again cause i thought i was in the clear (i know i still have the virus but i thought at least the infection was gone). any advice or shared stories would be helpful.

thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: hpv infection reoccurance

Only some strains of HPV cause warts (low risk HPV). High risk HPV cause cellular problems, which could lead to cancer. It sounds like you have high risk HPV. You need to keep up with your follow up appointments and treatments.

If you are under 30, there is a chance your body is/has fighting/fought the virus so it doesn't cause future problems. If you have had a large amount of stress and/or you have changed sex partners, then it is possible the more recent bad pap was from another strain of HPV.

I hope that helps.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

I just wanted to chime in that it is possible your HPV infection never went away and is therefore not a reoccurance. I've been dealing with high-risk HPV for over two years now and have had a miriad of different pap results throughout this time. When I asked my doctor why the tests always come back differently, she explained it to me like this: a pap test is a sampling of only a section of cells on your cervix. If the pap does not hit the spot where the abnormal cells are, you can get a normal result.

If you had abnormal paps for some time, one normal pap, and then went back to abnormal paps, I would bet that the normal pap was more of a fluke. That is.........unless you also had an HPV test during your paps and it at some point came back negative for HPV and then came back positive for HPV. Then I would agree that it's some kind of reoccurance.

My doctor said that one of the reasons the standard recommendation is for an annual pap is because even if abnormalities are missed for a year or two, cervical cancer usually progresses so slowly that it is almost always caught in time during one of the subsequent tests.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
    kxiaojie
    (female)

kxiaojie HB User

Normally, your immune system will clear the infection, but sometimes the virus lurks in your system without causing outbreaks. Then if your stress level goes up (i.e. immune system goes down), it will show up again. Also, HPV is extremely easy to catch. Condoms don't provide 100% protection - but they definitely help. So it's possible you caught another strain if you've changed sexual partners. The best thing you can do is try to keep healthy and support your immune system as much as possible. Eat your vegetables, get enough sleep, find good ways of managing stress etc.

Closed Thread