It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• ASCUS pap results/HPV- questions! help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
    heymissA
    (female)

heymissA HB User
    ASCUS pap results/HPV- questions! help!

I just had a PAP smear done about 2 weeks ago, and my doctor called me with the results-- apparently, I had an ASCUS result that most likely was caused by HPV in my system. Despite the doctor's reassurance that this wasn't the end of the world, I'm still really scared! It's one thing to look at this rationally and another to hear that you might potentially have this virus growing inside you... I can't help but be unsettled.

I had a totally normal PAP about 18 months ago, and by reading some online info about HPV, I've learned this can stay dormant in your system undetected for a long time. But since there is no way to track when I got this bug, how do I know who gave it to me? I'm worried that no matter when/from who I got this bug, I have already transmitted it to my current boyfriend, which is bad news since now we're in a threesome- me, him and HPV. Even if I get it cleared up in myself, there is no way to cure it in men, won't he just pass it back to me again when we have sex?

I'm also worried about what kind of HPV this could be because I've had the Gardisal vaccine. I got it about 3 years ago, but my doctor assured me that there are different strains out there and I might have gotten a rare strain. So I'm apparently a pioneer of disease. Are the rare strains any more dangerous than the normal ones?

Lastly, I read that any type of vaginal irritation could cause an ASCUS reading... I knew about the 24 hour rule for PAPs, but I didn't know it was in fact a 48 hour rule. I'm crossing my fingers that using a tampon about 48 hours prior to the PAP gave me the ASCUS result, but if that were the case, why would the result include the scary "HPV" word in the diagnosis?

Sorry about my lengthy post, I'm wordy when I'm terrified. Does anyone out there have answers, advice, comfort?

Last edited by moderator2; 07-28-2009 at 04:34 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: ASCUS pap results/HPV- questions! help!

Let me see if I can help.

How old are you? If you are under 30, then there is a good chance that your body can fight the virus and clear up the ASCUS. If you are over thirty, it could still happen, but less likely.

The vaccine protects against 2 high risk strains of HPV and 2 strains of low risk HPV. There are at least 26 other types of HPV (low and high risk) that can affect the genitals. The good news is that the vaccine protects against the 2 strains of high risk HPV which cause about 70% of cervical cancers and 2 strains of low risk HPV which cause about 80% of genital warts.

Because HPV is a virus, you and your boyfriend can't pass it back and forth. Once you have it, you have it. But then there is some research (I haven't read it, but a woman on the Cervical Cancer board talks about it) which says that while a woman is fighting the virus that it is beneficial for the couple to use condoms. Once she receives 2 clear HPV tests then they can discontinue the condom use. :shrugs shoulders: I don't know, though.

Unless this boyfriend is your very first, ever, sexual contact (and not just sexual intercourse), then there is almost no way to know who gave you HPV, much less this/these strain(s) of HPV.

I hope that helps.

What did your doctor say your next step is?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
    heymissA
    (female)

heymissA HB User

My doctor said that I should schedule a procedure to test again, I think its called a colposcopy, something involving a microscope, vinegar and scraping- ouch. She said that this test is the cure, because it takes off cells that could be problematic. After that, another PAP in 6 months and then more regular PAPs.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by heymissA View Post
    She said that this test is the cure, because it takes off cells that could be problematic. After that, another PAP in 6 months and then more regular PAPs.
    This is not exactly accurate. There is no "cure" for HPV or for the problems it can cause. It is *possible* that the biopsy that is taken during the colposcopy could remove all of the problematic cells; it is also likely that it won't.

Considering your age, and the ASCUS diagnosis that the colposcopy with biopsy might remove all atypical cells. But don't hold your breath on that.

I hope the colpo w/ biopsy is all you need!

Closed Thread