It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• Told I have HPV today, worried

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
    strangealicia
    (female)

strangealicia HB User
    Unhappy Told I have HPV today, worried

Six months ago I had my yearly pap and I unexpectedly got the little pink paper stating that my test was abnormal and to call a number listed on the card. Scared out of my mind I called the number and they only scheduled my appointment and told me what I already knew: that the test came back "slightly abnormal."
    Fast forward 6 months to today. I have just been told I have HPV and that I have one of the the "high risk" strands though they said my test came back with only minor dysplasia. They did another pap and I will get the results back in another couple of weeks. I know HPV is fairly common and it normally goes away on its own but until the results come back I'm worried and scared.
    I am worried I may have infected my boyfriend of a year.
    I am also worried that if I have infected him, he will continue to infect me if we continue to have sex.
    I didn't even think about those questions when I was at the doctor's office until my friend told me about her experience with HPV and said it didn't go away until her and her boyfriend broke up because he kept infecting her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
    tougherthanrest
    (female)

tougherthanrest HB User
    Re: Told I have HPV today, worried

Hi, strangealicia!

Don't worry too much! It is estimated that 80% of the sexually active population has had or has HPV. If your BF was not a virgin when you got together, he probably already had it. Also, high-risk HPV doesn't really affect men the way it affects women. We (women) can get cervical disease (dysplasia & cancer) from HPV. However, the good news is (the silver lining within the grey cloud) that cervical disease can be treated. Just make sure you follow your doctor's recommendations for treatment and follow-up care. Has your doctor suggested a colposcopy, yet? This is a procedure that looks more closely at your cervix and the lesions that are caused by HPV. This helps to understand the progression of your cervical disease and to determine next steps in the treatment process.

Best of luck to you. You will get through this. (And your BF will, too!)

Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
    strangealicia
    (female)

strangealicia HB User

Well I wasn't worrying too much until my friend told me about her situation and that her boyfriend kept infecting her.
    At this point my doctor is waiting for the test results to come back to see if it has gone away. I am hoping it has because that means the ordeal is over.
    I'm not as worried about my boyfriend because I know men can just be carriers but I am worried about me clearing up and him re-infecting me.
    I guess I can ask my doc about that when I go back next time or call Monday.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
    tougherthanrest
    (female)

tougherthanrest HB User

From what I understand, you don't pass the same strain back and forth. If either of you get a different strain, then you can be infected with that. It seems as if most people's immune systems "clear" the virus within 2 years. However, some people's immune systems aren't able to, and that is why it is critical to keep all your doctor's appointments and get treatment, so that your cervical disease does not progress. I put clear in quotes because the experts do not really know if the virus is actually cleared or if remains dormant in your body. At any rate, I highly doubt your friend's BF kept reinfecting her. Now, that doesn't mean that she did not have issues with her HPV for years after her diagnosis. Most likely, her body wasn't able to surpress the virus - either "clearing" it or making it go dormant. Or, she was infected with a different strain (there are many strains of HPV). HTH. But, do make a list of questions to ask your doctor.

Closed Thread