It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• My HPV story... Don't know what to do.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
    Alcheer2002
    (female)

Alcheer2002 HB User
    Exclamation My HPV story... Don't know what to do.

Hello,
    I am 16 I contacted HPV February 12th. My first time. I didn't find out I had HPV till the end of April. I told the guy I was sexual active with and he dumped me on the spot. My mom doesn't want me telling anyone cause she doesn't want it to get around school. A couple months have gone by and now I'm with this guy he's truly amazing and a virgin. We are not sexually active. I go in two days to find out of my immune system has fought it off, please pray for me! And if you have any advice about telling someone special please please share. I will have to tell him eventually. HPV has changed me I am more mature now. Please help! I hope for the sake of millions that there is one day a cure!
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
    Re: My HPV story... Don't know what to do.

There will probably never be a cure (viruses are tricky) but there is already a vaccine. I'm sorry you didn't get it. it is the hope of most women of my generation that all young girls will get this vaccine and never have to go through what we did.

I was also diagnosed with HPV at sixteen.
    I had developed mild precancerous lesions on my cervix, and these had to be treated with a procedure called cryotherapy, where they freeze your cervix with liquid nitrogen. In retrospect, this was not so bad, but it was terrifying at the time. I was so young, I'd never had any medical stuff done to me at the time, and neither HPV, precancer, nor the treatment was explained to me properly, so I was very confused.

This was nearly 25 years ago, and HPV was not entirely understood then, even by doctors. They did not realize at the time that it almost always goes away on its own, especially in teens and young adults. Even mild precancerous cells usually clear up on their own without treatment, in young people with healthy immune systems, so in all likelihood, the treatment I underwent was unnecessary. Today, they probably would've just monitored me to ensure that everything cleared up.

Anyway, after the treatment, everything did clear up. I've had normal PAPs ever since (almost 25 years). A few years ago when they developed the HPV-DNA test, I began to get tested with it at my annual gyno appointments (it is now standard to test all women over 35), and I always test negative for HPV, indicating that it went away, probably many, many years ago.

I've had a normal, healthy life, two marriages, and two children. I am currently pregnant with my third child, at age 38.

Don't worry. HPV is common (over 80% of Americans have had it) and there is no reason it should have any negative effect on your life. Just keep monitoring it with frequent PAPs until it goes away.
    Best of luck.

Last edited by Kali333; 07-19-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
    Alcheer2002
    (female)

Alcheer2002 HB User

Thank you! And I happy ur HPV went away! You have seriously told me more than my doctor! Google has been how I found out everything I know about it. Sex ED at school barely touched on it.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
    Switch96
    (female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User

You've handled the situation very well, and that is something to be proud of. Your decision to go straight to your doctor and be upfront with your now ex boyfriend was the mature thing to do... many twenty and thirty-somethings don't even have the guts to do that. Keeping you in my thoughts. You will be rewarded for your proactive decision making.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
    walkingtall
    (female)

walkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB User

Ive never heard of HPV going away. There are over 200 strains. Whose to say the guy you told isn't the one who gave it to you? I freaked when I found I had it but then found out ALL of my friends have it. Some people get warts, some get nothing, some get cancer or precancerous cells (which I had). If the guy you are with is a virgin then I would tell him but he may get it confused with HIV. Talk to your school counselor.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
    girlnextdoor8
    (female)

girlnextdoor8 HB User

Hi Alcheer2002, did you have an abnormal pap? And what type of HPV did you test positive for? If it was one of the high risk types 16/18, you should probably suggest your boyfriend get the Gardasil shot (really he should get it either way, everyone should). Getting the gardasil shot can help prevent oral and anal cancers caused by the HPV strands that it prevents you from getting as well as cervical cancer. I am 23 and just got done meeting with my doctor because I had an abnormal pap (ASCUS) and then reflexive DNA testing which confirmed that I have HPV 16 and 31 which I then followed quickly with a colposcopy to see if low grade changes were all that were present or if more treatment was needed. To my surprise the cell changes were TOTALLY benign, diagnosed as just metaplasia which my doctor said can happen in a normal cervix because of maturation. I was totally convinced that the results were going to be bad since I had multiple types and one that was considered "high risk". Plus the PA who did the colposcopy made me return to the hospital to get the results which I though could not be a good sign. But everything turned out to be just fine. I'm playing it on the safe side and returning for a normal pap in 6 months to make sure the metaplasia has not progressed into a low grade lesion and then again in 12 months along with HPV testing to see if my body has repressed the virus yet or not. My doctor said that it is very unlikely if you have HPV and "clear" it (meaning that it does not show up on HPV tests anymore) that that same strain will become reactivated and cause changes in your cervix again. She said they still are not 100% sure if it just gets surpressed or if you truly do get rid of it or if its different for each person, since many people never test positive for the same strains they have already contracted ever again. But keeping your immune system up by working out and eating healthy is never a bad idea to help your body fight of any kind of sickness either way.
    I also understand why your mother wouldn't want you to tell anyone. I feel embarassed that I have it at this age even. I have only known one person to openly say that she had it and she was pretty promiscuous so I guess that's always what I have associated it with. That's really not true at all, but not many people know that so they usually jump to the worst conclusion possible. Plus you are in high school and to give high school girls another reason to be mean and gossip about is never a great idea. Your previous boyfriend should also know that he likely has the virus and has not suppressed or cleared it yet if that is likely who you got it from and he will most likely transmit it to the next person he sleeps with (or has any kind of genital contact with, since all you need is any skin to skin contact or even oral sex can transmit it) so breaking up with you was stupid and childish. Hopefully your tests come back clear! Go get the gardasil shot yourself too if you haven't already so you hopefully don't have to go through this again! I got the shot but apparently had already contracted at least one of the high risk strands that it vaccinates for :/ considering I got it when I was 20 and had 2 partners before that.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hpv high risk