It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board

• Dating and HPV. Advise PLEASE?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
    ashg19
    (female)

ashg19 HB User
    Dating and HPV. Advise PLEASE?

The guy I'm currently dating told me he has hpv (no we haven't had sex). This was a surprise to me being that I was under the impression that there's no way for men to get tested for hpv. All I know is that most men are basically carriers. He told me he had genital warts and the Dr. confirmed it was hpv. I too have hpv. I don't know what type but my doctor first told me he called it "lgsil" and told me it comes from hpv. I have no warts so I'm pretty sure it's not genital warts. I think the type I have is the precancerous strain. Again not sure. My question is if I choose to have any type of sexual act with this individual is there a risk he could get the strain I have and vice versa? Are we basically sharing the virus between us? We're a bit at a loss and I'm a bit concerned. Again, we haven't had sex yet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
    roisindubh
    (female)

roisindubh HB User
    Re: Dating and HPV. Advise PLEASE?

Hello:

Yes, there is the (likely) chance that the two of you would exchange strains. You are correct that there is no test for men to see if they are HPV positive, but if they have a physical outbreak (warts) then they know. If you do not have physical symptoms, you probably have one of the high-risk strains. He has warts, which come from a low-risk strain of the virus.

You can lower the chances by using condoms, but condoms are not 100% effective against HPV because it is transmitted via skin-to-skin contact, not fluid. This means any part of the skin that is infected and not covered by the condom could transmit the virus.

You can talk to you doctor too about other ways to lower the risk of transmission. I believe with warts that if there are no visible warts then the virus is not active and not able to be passed on, but am not 100% sure.

Closed Thread

Tags
    aniexty, dating, genital warts, hpv, relationship