HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Human Papillomavirus (HPV) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/human-papillomavirus-hpv/)
-   -   Q&A All about genital HPV infections (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/human-papillomavirus-hpv/92360-q-all-about-genital-hpv-infections.html)

shucks 07-08-2003 01:04 PM

[quote]Originally posted by jules1:
[b]I may be psyching myself out. My boyfriend says I shouldn't assume that it is an outbreak because the spots appear as little red dots, and they aren't in clusters. They get more spread out the futher up my leg they get. I guess if they are warts I'm lucky that noone but myself and the Dr can see them.

But the thing is, today I have 3 or 4 spots on my chest - noticed them while putting on a v-neck shirt. They look like the same thing. Is this possible? I am so scared to even touch myself because I'm afraid I'm going to spread the warts. And I never get acne there, so I don't think thats what it is.
[/b][/quote]

I think you misunderstood what I mean or I wasnt clear enough?..I said it depends on the individual...it can come up one at time, or in clusters....and it could be spread out (I should have listed this as well) what I mean by it depends on the individual I mean it could appear in different ways from another person.

Well what you describled on the genital parts and inner thighs and such...now you said just today you noticed spots on your chest? well that can be just acne, but the others dont sound like acne from what you said....

The important thing to do is go get checked out...because IF you think it could be something else and then not go...well what happens if in fact they are? Be smart...

But your boyfriend is right in some sense and that is dont get too worked up....

jules1 07-08-2003 01:28 PM

Oh I'm going, don't worry!

The spots on my chest look exactly like the spots on my legs (but not like the spots inside). Some of these spots have popped up over night it seems, and when I looked today it looked like some of the spots are gone.

I have an appt at 10am tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

shucks 07-08-2003 04:39 PM

good luck to you and point out the difference on the chest that looks like on the legs but different inside...you should point that out...

I really do hope it is NOTHING, but I also strongly believe when one even has the slightest thought that it could be something it is best to be safe than sorry...you are doing the right thing...and I hope everything goes your way.

jules1 07-09-2003 09:51 AM

Well... I went to the Dr today and she checked me out. I told her about the spots on my thighs, asked her about spots on my chest (and she said theres no way those could be hpv), and asked her to check inside.

She did looked and said she didn't see anything. She couldn't see any bumps, and said the that ones I saw were most likely sebacious (sp?) glands that got irritated from sex due to lack of lubrication (I'm on a lupron shot and that has side effects such as vag dryness and it was right after my b/f and i had sex). She looked at the spots on my thighs and said these were follicitus, because warts wouldn't be that red color.

She didn't any vinegar or anything on any of the spots, but I'm assuming she knows since she's the doc!

Thanks for all the advice shucks! :) Sorry I got all worked up over nothing!

shucks 07-09-2003 02:15 PM

That is wonderful.....

And dont worry about getting all worked up...look at it this way...what you were doing is being on the SAFE side.

Now this would be a bummer and that is...if you didnt get worked up then the likelyhood of you going to the doctors would be slim...right? you might of said oh it is nothing and push it aside...and then to find out that it is something...

Always get regular checkups....it is so important to get regular checkups every 6 months...even if you are not having sex...

I do have to say I am VERY happy that you came out clean...

collegegrl 07-09-2003 04:14 PM

hi, i'm so scared at this moment-please help! i'm about to be a college senior and i've been living the past 3 years real carefree and pretty much stupid now 'cuz i'm freaking out about this. i've had unprotected sex a couple times but i'm almost positive that the guys always pulled out before they were done. about a month ago my doctor told me i have genital warts-it's really not a bad case, just a couple. i was devastated but i've been working out alot and building up my immune system hoping they'll go away on their own. they still are there, although they haven't spread, but i'll probably get them removed. what i'm scared about now is that i have a few red bumps on the inside of my mouth. i noticed them like a week or so ago. i've been gargling with saltwater and it seems to be helping. i read somewhere that sometimes a white tongue or something will appear with a genital warts infection. this is the ONLY other sign i have but because i've been freaking out so much lately about std's, i'm scared it's something else, although i'm praying it's all in my head and just a part of the hpv thing. they dont really itch or anything, they're just there. i'm absolutly terrified to get tested though and i want your opinion because i dont want to tell anyone i know. thanks!

shucks 07-09-2003 05:34 PM

[quote]Originally posted by collegegrl:
[b]hi, i'm so scared at this moment-please help! i'm about to be a college senior and i've been living the past 3 years real carefree and pretty much stupid now 'cuz i'm freaking out about this. i've had unprotected sex a couple times but i'm almost positive that the guys always pulled out before they were done. about a month ago my doctor told me i have genital warts-it's really not a bad case, just a couple. i was devastated but i've been working out alot and building up my immune system hoping they'll go away on their own. they still are there, although they haven't spread, but i'll probably get them removed. what i'm scared about now is that i have a few red bumps on the inside of my mouth. i noticed them like a week or so ago. i've been gargling with saltwater and it seems to be helping. i read somewhere that sometimes a white tongue or something will appear with a genital warts infection. this is the ONLY other sign i have but because i've been freaking out so much lately about std's, i'm scared it's something else, although i'm praying it's all in my head and just a part of the hpv thing. they dont really itch or anything, they're just there. i'm absolutly terrified to get tested though and i want your opinion because i dont want to tell anyone i know. thanks![/b][/quote]

First know this....HPV which you have is a skin-to-skin virus so it wouldnt matter if the guy pulled out or not...

Second I never heard of HPV of the mouth causing a white tounge....a white tounge sounds more like thrush..

As I stated that there are 100 different strands of HPV...some only affect genital....and others just the mouth and others both...it really depends on WHAT strand you have to tell if the bumps in your mouth is that...

Know that HPV does NOT have to itch...and in the mouth? I dont think they would itch...

You stated that you have been gargling with salt water and it seems to get better? Well it could be just cold sores (which isnt really good either, but alot of the population has that too)...

I understand that you are scard I too was scard when I first found out. You really have to do what is best for you...and that is to get checked out...

I would get that checked to see if it is or not...if it is....there could be warts in your throat (and if there is warts you should know that warts can grow and then causing them plug your air passage). I dont know if you need a gyn to check that out or a orthadontist (sp).....

I remember seeing pictures on the net where there was warts of the mouth...you may want to do a search engine to see if that is what it looks like or not.

My ONLY good advice is to go get checked out and you dont even have to tell anybody.

I do wish you luck, and my thoughts will be with you.

I will be here if you need to vent...

collegegrl 07-09-2003 07:19 PM

thanks for responding. i guess i have a couple questions. first, if it is warts in my mouth, can those be treated? and then also i guess what i'm scared to ask is do u think red bumps can be a sign of hiv? that's really what i'm scared of since i'm learning to deal with the hpv thing. and that's also what i was refering to when i mentioned the pulling out thing. oh and one last thing is i'm not really sure what thrush is really and if i should be worried..cuz my tongue isant bad it's just got a little white patch-and i had started smoking a little bit but not alot but i quite that. the bumps aren't too bad either but it's not like they should be there so i figured it's something. sorry about all the questions but i've been looking up all these internet sites that just tell me all these facts that i'm not sure which ones to trust...so thanks.

jules1 07-09-2003 09:06 PM

Where are the red bumps inside of your mouth? Could they be ulcers? Or are the spots where white stuff has come off of?

If you have white stuff on your tongue that is easy to scrape off, or if you get any white patches in the back of your throat, its probably thrush. I had a HORRIBLE case after surgery, but from what I understand most peoples isn't as bad as mine was. If you do have it, they give you "swish and swallow" medicine usually and it clears up fairly quick.

If you are worrying yourself sick, GO TO THE DOCTOR. I know its uncomfortable but dwelling on it isnt going to make things better. Just read my posts on this thread... it turned out nothing was wrong!!! And I was FREAKING OUT and couldn't study or sleep or do anything, because all I could think about was that I might have warts.

Tell me more about whats up with your spots... maybe I can help more. If they are on your tongue, those bumps are normal

collegegrl 07-09-2003 09:32 PM

well i guess the white tongue thing isant too bad, like if i brush most of it goes away but still, i've never had it before. the red spots are like small red bumps, like real small kinda, on the back part of the roof of my mouth...they seem to be going away but i'm not sure. and then there are some on the back part of my tongue, i think, although that's a hard part to see, but i'm pretty sure. if they go away in a few days do u think it's ok? they aren't white or anything. they're just little bumps.

shucks 07-10-2003 04:33 PM

[b]thanks for responding. i guess i have a couple questions. first, if it is warts in my mouth, can those be treated? and then also i guess what i'm scared to ask is do u think red bumps can be a sign of hiv? that's really what i'm scared of since i'm learning to deal with the hpv thing. and that's also what i was refering to when i mentioned the pulling out thing. oh and one last thing is i'm not really sure what thrush is really and if i should be worried..cuz my tongue isant bad it's just got a little white patch-and i had started smoking a little bit but not alot but i quite that. the bumps aren't too bad either but it's not like they should be there so i figured it's something. sorry about all the questions but i've been looking up all these internet sites that just tell me all these facts that i'm not sure which ones to trust...so thanks.[/b][/quote]

The red bumps does NOT sound like it would be hiv...but it wouldnt hurt to get that checked out as well in fact I highly recommended geting tested for EVERYTHING....

Now as far as your mouth goes if they are warts...they are treatable...

Thrush is just a yeast infection of the mouth...nothing serious all you need is some antibotics for that...and it will clear up quickly. It is very common in babies and older people...However young adults can get it too...thrush isnt to get worked up on...after antibaotics it will be gone in a week time...and what it looks like is a white coated tounge....if it is real bad it looks like thick coat fur like thing...it does get gross looking...but if it is mild then it is a thin coat...it is not contagious...it is from bacteria. sometimes most times the whole tounge is covered...and sometimes just the back part is covered. My child when she was a baby she had thrush.. if you like warm milk or let food drinks sit...this is one way of getting thrush.. this is no biggie.

The only thing that concerns me most is the bumps in your mouth wouldnt want them in your throat with your knowledge...well I guess if it gets big you will notice...anyways it could be an ulcer...it could be cold sores...usually those are tender...I am sure you had cold sores /ulsers before? The ONLY best bet is to go get checked...in long run you will be saving and preventing yourself..

No worries about the questions...I also want to inform so you wont be like I was when I first learn what I had....when I got tested before they sent the growth (which was the wart) to the lab they said it could be a skin tab or a wart which was HPV...I didnt even know what HPV and when they told me it was an STD...I just flipped my lid...they acted as if it was no biggie (well I guess they knew it was because 80 percent of the population has it lol) anyways I did my research over the innernet and I was just apalled...I couldnt believe the picutres I saw and I prayed I would NEVEr get that way....there is some pictures of the worst cases of warts...anyways I then learned that the innernet is good to research but also know that they ONLY show the most extreme cases that is rare...that was a big relief...anyways my doctor did give me all the info I needed and also had other doctors to explain so I can be educated on HPV so I could live my life happy...

I did also search on other STD...so I could be more educated in those as well even though I dont have anything else...

I believe the best advice I can give you is go get tested of every known STD you can take...this will 1 relieve your stress...2 to find out what you need to do if you have anything 3...save your life...

you are welcome to ask me anything and I will try my best to answer them...

collegegrl 07-10-2003 07:03 PM

thank u so much for your response. i feel alot better about the hiv thing. i've been tested for a couple things and those were negative but i'm gonna go get tested for the rest--and be safe:P i do have a question since u know about hpv. i only have 2 and they arent real bad and they weren't tested, just the lady at planned parenthood saw them and said they were warts. do u think those should be removed (assuming they're warts) or should i maybe wait a while and see if they go away. ohhh yeah, and one more question i have is ok, so i did have sex when i had the warts (i didnt really know then tho), but found out that's what they were...and for a week or so i was kinda bleeding and read somewhere that that can be a symptom of genital warts. so i was wondering if u think if i get them removed then i wont bleed after sex? cuz i also kinda fooled around another time after that (fingering) and i bled for a day or so after that...which isant normal. sorry i dont want to sound like a bad person 'cuz i'm really shaping up now but i gotta somehow deal with what i've done in the past. i'm gonna get tested dont worry. i just dont know anyone who has an std and it's just helpful to ask people who are experiencing the same stuff.

shucks 07-11-2003 09:39 AM

[b]thank u so much for your response. i feel alot better about the hiv thing. i've been tested for a couple things and those were negative but i'm gonna go get tested for the rest--and be safe:P i do have a question since u know about hpv. i only have 2 and they arent real bad and they weren't tested, just the lady at planned parenthood saw them and said they were warts. do u think those should be removed (assuming they're warts) or should i maybe wait a while and see if they go away. ohhh yeah, and one more question i have is ok, so i did have sex when i had the warts (i didnt really know then tho), but found out that's what they were...and for a week or so i was kinda bleeding and read somewhere that that can be a symptom of genital warts. so i was wondering if u think if i get them removed then i wont bleed after sex? cuz i also kinda fooled around another time after that (fingering) and i bled for a day or so after that...which isant normal. sorry i dont want to sound like a bad person 'cuz i'm really shaping up now but i gotta somehow deal with what i've done in the past. i'm gonna get tested dont worry. i just dont know anyone who has an std and it's just helpful to ask people who are experiencing the same stuff.[/b][/quote]

When I had my wart...in an area that was uncomfortable and when I wiped after I used the restroom it did bleed..yeas when warts are in an area where there may be friction they will tend to bleed.

there has been cases where warts leave without treatment, but this isnt always the case. I myself believe to be consitant and get them removed. I had a singular one and they numb me and cut it off and havent had one since. I found however if one just keeps getting them treated when ever they appear the likely hood they wont come back...they can, but if you are persitant and all in the long run it will do good. Since you have two...I dont know the size of them...maybe if they are big enough to get them frozen off or cut them off I think that is better than getting the acid treatment..the acid treatment isnt that bad as it sounds it is uncomfortable...a burning sensation...the only thing with that is you have to go more than once...maybe 3-6 times before seeing any results...and this can get pricey depending on where you go....now if they are too small it is more than likely they will use the acid treatment...nothing to worry about...I would rather them be gone, because when there are warts that is when it is contagious....
You are NOT a bad person...just because you made some pre-mature choices does NOT mean you are a bad person...it just means you are learning the hard way...and you know the positive thing out of this is that you learned and you are changing for the good. Dont beat yourself up from the choices you made....just learn from them.
As I said there has been cases where warts go away on their own without treatment...but this doesnt happen to all...just a few.. I would rather just get them off sooner the better I think...
If you ask about the freezing or cutting..it doesnt hurt at all the only think you will feel is a pinch from the shot..and if those nasty boogers comes back then do it again..you are just being consitant...and soon you will find out that they will more than likely never return...just keep your immune system up...take multi vitiams (there is a good one that is recommended for this and that is "Centrum" it is a bit pricey...but there are cheaper ones that is just as good and that is called "Central-Vite" oh and make sure it is with "Lutein"

and yes after you get them removed you will NOT bleed after sex...

I dont know if you are having sex NOW...but I wouldnt recommend it...even with a condom will NOT prevent you passing it to someone...and if you have been and you get treated the more chances of them appearing again is high. It is HARD to examine a male because the warts can be inside the cannel...If you are not and after you do remove your warts...I would wait awhile before having sex to make sure that the treatment worked good....

Just ALWAYAS examine yourself...you want to stay consitant that is important...

Yes I am experienceing the same thing and glad that you found this place knowing that YOU are NOT alone....someone who does UNDERSTAND....

Audrey-B 07-12-2003 04:50 PM

I'm really confused about HPV due to the fact that after an unclear pap smear i was referred to a gyn and he said all was ok, appart from the fact that he found HPV. I got kind of scared and confused and he said that it's unclear where exactly HPV comes from as not all cases are as a result of an STD. He said HPV has been found in people who have never had sex and you can get it easily from a public swimming pool. He then told me that it's not dangerous, didn't give me any medication and told me to have regular pap smear every 6 months incase they became cancerous.

I followed his advice for a couple of years and my pap smears were clear, but since then i've been to gyn's if i've had unclear pap smears and nobody has ever found me to have HPV and they've done internal exams where you are hooked up to one of those monitors and you can see what he examing internally and everything comes up healthy.

I've been with my husband for 9 years and neither of us has an STD, i've also had a laparoscopy were the gyn took photo's of my internal organs (i had difficulty falling preganant) and he said internally everything was clear and healthy and 100% perfect. Some how i'd think that after 9 and a bit years my husband would have seen signs of HPV i had it and he in turn got it off me? and surely other docotrs would have seen it internally if the first gyn saw it?

So basically after reading about various people's experiences with HPV on these boards, i'm kind of confused about the whole HPV issue. How can one medical expert say you only get HPV from sexual contact, while others can say otherwise?

collegegrl 07-12-2003 08:10 PM

thanks shucks. no i'm not having sex now. that's the only time in a while after i found all this out---except for one oral experience which again, wasnt smart. but i'm going to get tested and all that. those bumps are gone in my mouth except my throat still hurts sometimes so i dont know what they are. do u know if they were warts if they wouldve stayed longer than a week and a half? i'm gonna go get tested for everything with a friend. i'm terrified but i'm glad i've decided to change my life 'cuz this is way too scary. if i get a positive for hiv i'm really scared of my response to it tho 'cuz i dont think i could live with it and be happy. i've only had 3 uprotected sex experiences but they were all with guys who i'm sure get around. so i'm scared but i'm gonna go anyways so these symptoms i keep "having" eitehr go away or something. it sounds like u're living with the hpv thing pretty well and it makes me feel better. i hope things are going well for u. thanks alot for the support.