It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board

• Really am sick but my hypochondria making things worse

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-01-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
    Hypochondriaguy
    (male)

Hypochondriaguy HB User
    Really am sick but my hypochondria making things worse

As I type this I hear my wife and son sleeping in the other room. I should be doing the same, yet here I am at the keyboard typing away trying to figure out what's wrong with me. I have bronchitis or some form of respiratory illness and it's lingering. I'm no stranger to respiratory issues, I got diagnosed with bronchitis when I was 16 and have gotten it pretty much every December since, give or take a year here or there. What's really messing with me is that I am having this pain in the center of my shoulder blades that comes and goes but has gotten worse instead of better. I had been given a zpak and an inhaler well it's been 2 weeks the infection started to go away but came back with a vengeance. I don't feel like going through all the details because folks are less likely to read so here are some bullet points.

1. Saw Dr. 2 weeks ago, was told bronchitis but a chest xray was not done.
    2. Dr said my lungs sounded fine and my oxygen levels was 100%
    3. Finished 1 round of antibiotics but meds started to work and then illness came back.
    4. No chest pain, mild cough but not constant, pain in back
    5. All kinds of color in sputum from traditional green, to gray, to clear with dark green streaks.

I am a hypochondriac, a few years ago I had myself convinced I had colon cancer but it turned out to be IBS. For a while I had it under control but it is back with a vengeance and is killing my quality of life. I am convinced i have lung cancer and it's giving me panic attacks frequently. Just wanted to share to get it off my chest and hope that other nut jobs like me on here know they're not alone. Sound off if you can relate.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-01-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Really am sick but my hypochondria making things worse

Hi guy,

It looks to me that this by far is not just hypochondria. It is not unusual to mistake symptoms for one scary thing when they may be caused by other scary things. Symptoms often do overlap different diagnosis'.

You seem quite normal to me. I have a lot of health issues going on, and that can be pretty darn scary. Esp when we have a family to wonder how long we can support. Maybe you need to give yourself a break, and be understanding about where you are coming from. can you talk about some of these fears with your wife? or a therapist? I seriously believe your wife already knows you are worried, but she might not totally know why. She and you deserve for her to know. Then you can be supportive with each other.

Someone taught me that when doctors fail to do all tests I want done, that I can ask the doctor to just humor me and order the tests. And when I dislike or disagree with a doctor's opinion, I ask for a second opinion outside that doctor's medical group (inside a medical group they usually will not disagree with each other).

I find that it works best to take charge of my own health care. Yes I use doctors, but if they are not proactive to my preference or I just feel like they are not thorough, I involve other doctors, and even move on from some doctors. I find some terrific doctors that are experts in a field and that takes my insurance by doing searches on Yelp. The best doctors know how to put their patients at ease.

Let me know how you are doing.

Last edited by yayagirl; 01-02-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
    Hypochondriaguy
    (male)

Hypochondriaguy HB User

YaYa

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond. I really appreciate the advise to give myself a break and try to understand where I'm coming from. As weird as it sounds that thought never occurred to me, but it probably should have. I should extend myself the same courtesy and consideration I would any person. Thankfully my wife does understand where I am coming from and is a big help, she suffers from anxiety so she can relate to some of my neurosis. You know it's silly but I too have found that I must take charge of my own health care, but somehow I sorta became passive this time around. I just didn't want to seem like I was being overly worried, I thought it was weird that I complained of chest tightness and pain in the middle of my shoulder blades and all he did was listen to my lungs with a stethoscope. Just about every other time I have been to the doctor for a respiratory problem they give a chest x-ray. Thanks for the reminder I have a follow up this coming Friday so I will press him to get me a more satisfactory diagnosis. As it stands now this is the strangest illness I've ever had,it's nearly spastic in character. Sometimes I have mucus, sometimes I don't, when I do it's a myriad of textures and colors I've even seen some blood streaks. Sometimes I have a pain in my back sometimes I don't. You get the idea. Any how will update when I get some more answers Friday.

take care

Old 01-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

I look forward to your update.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
    Hypochondriaguy
    (male)

Hypochondriaguy HB User

Yayagirl

my apologies I realize it's been most of the year but you were nice enough to read and respond so I figure i at least owe you the conclusion of this episode. So it turned out i had pleurisy or something like it, I had an infection in the lining of my lungs. thankfully it has passed and I am in better respiratory health.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear Hypochondriaguy,

Thanks for letting me know. I hope your recovery goes smoothly. Maybe you can give yourself a break, now, and realize that even if you are just having low energy, that doesn't mean you are not feeling 'ill'. We can feel that way for a huge assortment of possible reasons.

Try to not judge yourself so harshly. Rather than to worry that something awful might be happening, tell yourself you are feeling 'low energy'. If it does progress to something serious or goes away time will always tell.

I really believe that how we talk to ourselves matters a great deal. We can change our self-talk vocabulary.

Last edited by yayagirl; 08-30-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Reply Reply