It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board

• Can anyone relate ... or is it just me?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
    HolyPhoenix
    (male)

HolyPhoenix HB User
    Can anyone relate ... or is it just me?

Hello, everyone!

Does your health anxiety get triggered by a REAL physical symptom(s) and then it gets out of hand after googling them?

3 months ago I woke up with bad lower back pain. Iíve had joint pains, blurry vision, eye pain, chest pain and abdominal pain. With rib pain being the most recent. Iíve felt this before, though. Years ago when I had anxiety minus the rib pain.

See, right now idk if Iím trying to convince you guys that these symptoms are due to anxiety... or if Iím trying to convince myself. And thatís driving me insane.

Honestly, only the confirmation from a doctor will make me feel better. To hear the words, ďYou donít have ________.Ē Which is why Iím having so many exams done.

Anyway, lately the only peace Iíve felt has come from turning on the hot water shower... and then sitting down on the bathroom floor, and web searching on my phone. Itís driving my wife crazy. Not because she wants to use the bathroom as we have two. But because Iíve become so disconnected.

I canít even sleep good anymore. Idk if itís the back pain thatís waking me up at 5:30am or if itís my anxiety. ****... I associate sleep now with fear. Cause if back pain wakes me up then it makes me think about my health fears and hence it makes me view sleep badly.

If you donít know what Iím afraid of google: ďLower back pain that wakes you up at night.Ē

I google search and hope that all this is due to vitamin D deficiency as thatís the only diagnosis Iíve gotten.

If anyone can help me... please do. Iíll be your best friend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2018, 06:20 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Can anyone relate ... or is it just me?

Sounds like your anxiety has gotten the best of you. Please remember that Dr Google is not always right...anyone can put anything up on the internet and it doesnt make it true. No one is watching to make sure that only "true facts' are being printed...this means that no matter what you read- it does not take the place of a doctor and can send you into an anxiety attack simply because you dont know what is real- what isnt.

It really sounds like your situation might have escalated to the point where you need some real therapy or help dealing with it. The next time you see your primary physician you might want to talk to him or her about getting some help for your medical anxiety. There is medication you can take to take the edge off, there is talk therapy available to help you get to the root of this issue..

Before you screw up your marriage and have more problems to deal with, look into getting some assistance for dealing with what is more than likely fixable- and yes, anxiety. Its real....if you are going to this extent to look things up and have tests done- its very real...but there is help in dealing with it.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
    Vanilla2862
    (female)

Vanilla2862 HB User
    Re: Can anyone relate ... or is it just me?

I can totally relate to everything you are saying. Over the years (decades), I have had periods in my life where my health anxiety gets out of control. These periods generally start with an actual illness (not life threatening) which happens at an already stressful time. but then I end up worrying about a string of diseases based on actual symptoms Iím having. And I never want to discount it as Ďjust anxietyí because it all starts with one real health issue. So Iím see a string of doctors and have numerous tests and drive myself crazy.
    Therapy does help so I would recommend that if you have the opportunity.
    My spouse wants no part of my anxiety issues so hopefully yours will be more understanding if you are honest with her.
    Just want you to know you are NOT alone! Though lord knows when you are going through it, it feels like it. Iím actually in one of my phases right now and currently think I may have a brain tumor (totally self diagnosed lol) so donít feel bad! Iíve learned to talk myself out of these episodes for the most part but it takes effort.

Reply Reply