It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board

• Health anxiety about chemical exposures- is this incide irrational or a real concern?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
    Makson
    (male)

Makson HB User
    Health anxiety about chemical exposures- is this incide irrational or a real concern?

I have bad health anxiety and obsessions about chemicals in general but recently had an incident that is freaking me out and I can't tell if I am being irrational or if it is a real cause for concern. My roommate sprayed Ozium sanitizer aerosol spray which is Triethylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, isoproponol, and some other chemicals, around 15-30 minutes before I came in the room and I noticed the room smelled really strongly and I had a mild irritation in my throat/eyes. I left the building after a couple minutes because the scent was bothering me. He later told me he was just supposed to spray it for only 1 second few seconds but he walked around spraying it for around 20-30 seconds having not read the directions. I have had some mild nausea after that went away quickly but I had a headache for most of the day. The bottle has warnings on it that seem scary to me. I am panicking that my headache and mild nausea could be indicative of brain/nervous system damage of some sort. I still have had some minor headaches coming and going a few days after still so maybe the headaches were due to something else and the smell triggered one but I am not sure. Any insight about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #2
    Southsider170
    (male)

Southsider170 HB UserSouthsider170 HB UserSouthsider170 HB UserSouthsider170 HB User
    Re: Health anxiety about chemical exposures- is this incide irrational or a real conc

Its natural that you would have anxiety if you watch TV and see all of the ads about lawsuits for exposure to asbestos, roundup or whatever.

But the people who get sick from exposure to these chemicals usually are exposed for years, sometimes many years. A single incident is very unlikely to cause damage, especially in someone who is presumably young like yourself (you have a roommate, so I guess you are young)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southsider170 For This Useful Post:
    Makson (02-06-2021)
    Old 02-05-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
    Makson
    (male)

Makson HB User
    Re: Health anxiety about chemical exposures- is this incide irrational or a real conc

Thans for the reply. Things like the TV ads and even the warning labels always freak me out, they list so many dangers and human health risks. I freak out a bit even when I don't get any symptoms but that makes this time extra scary for me, since I did have some irritation/headaches.

I am kind of young (early 30's) and my roommate doesn't read directions and just sprayed that stuff around like it was a cologne to try to mask a smell. It isn't a chronic exposure as you said and at least I wasn't in there with the aerosol mist so it had a little time to spread around and I did leave after a minute, so maybe the human body is resilient enough to handle that with no long term consequences?

Old 02-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Makson View Post
    I have bad health anxiety and obsessions about chemicals in general
    Most of the thousands of chemicals that have been developed have NEVER been thoroughly tested to determine their effect or impact on our health.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Makson View Post
    My roommate sprayed Ozium sanitizer ... and I had a mild irritation in my throat/eyes. ... I still have had some minor headaches coming and going a few days after
    Our body has a hormonal response and/or immune response to things that it perceives are a threat, like a chemical exposure. These natural responses to threats, like chemical exposures, can cause side effects such as headaches, rapid or irregular heartbeats, higher blood pressure, nausea, asthma, sinusitis, etc. Usually the side effects are short lived. But, sometimes, something goes wrong in our body that causes our hormonal or immune responses to overact or be overly responsive. The result is a condition call Chemical Sensitivity. If this happened to you then you will discover that there are other smells or chemicals or substances that cause your body to have an uncomfortable reaction.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
    Makson (02-07-2021)
    Reply Reply