It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board

Reactive Hypoglycemia Acting Weird ???

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
SheilaNE
(female)

SheilaNE HB User
Reactive Hypoglycemia Acting Weird ???

Hi everyone, new on this board... I'm in my late 50's, type II diabetic with reactive hypoglycemia on chronic steroids for close to 20 years so I have no adrenal function left. I'm on daily steroids still.

My normal "MO" with food is that I'm stable when fasting which I always do until about 3-4 PM when I start eating for the day. Normally if I "behave" (meaning eat only low-glycemic carbs or no carbs) I will remain stable BG-wise. If I eat "badly," high-glycemic or too many carbs at dinner, I will zoom up to around/just over 200-225. I will then fall asleep, wake up about 1.5-2 hours later with a blood sugar starting to go rapidly downward. I have no "brakes" on my train - I will keep going down until I bottom out (have been in the 20's many times) if I don't stop it by intervening with food or other sugar. That's my "normal."

Lately something very weird has been happening. I'll give you last night as an example. I ate dinner. It was steak, a medium serving of mashed potatoes, a salad, and a "bad" dessert. OK I knew I deserved a meteoric spike and crash later on and made that choice. BUT here's the weird thing! I get home, half an hour later am feeling really awful and decide to check my BG. I'm already down to 80!!! WHAT?

The only thing I can figure out... about close to an hour before dinner, my husband handed me a stupid sugar cookie he brought from work. Of course I ate it Now yes, I can assume that would start up my usual spike/crash scenario BUT I am surprised that eating the "real food" part of my dinner would not interrupt or correct the sequence. Timing wise it makes sense... my crash started roughly two hours after I ate the cookie. But the whole dinner had no effect on it?

I've also dealt with similar situations where I'll be really low, eat food and it either won't elevate my blood sugar or keep it elevated.

If anybody has any insight I'd really appreciate it. I've gotten nailed about 3 times now by this type of situation and it's making my normally scary food life a lot MORE scary. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply