It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board

• hypothyroid/adrenal/hypoglycemia... I need some help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
    jazzy_jayden
    (female)

jazzy_jayden HB User
    hypothyroid/adrenal/hypoglycemia... I need some help!

Hi, I'm hoping maybe someone could provide some insight on my situation.
    My TSH level is 6.1, which apparently is "subclinical hypothyroid" I also have adrenal issues, according to my naturpath. I'm ALWAYS hungry, after I eat I feel better for honsestly like 2 minutes and then I'm deadly tired and hungry again. I have headaches in my forehead area and I usually feel shaky and very weak and have terrible anxiety problems, very irritable, intolerance to loud noises ect. no matter how much I eat. Sometimes before I would feel like this, then I would eat and feel much better for hours (no anxiety, awake, happy ect.) I eat extemely heathy -> absoultly NO refined foods or sugar, I eat protein and leafy greens, and thats really about it (i have gluten intolerance) I cut out every kind of sugar even fruit, to see if it might help, but it hasn't. I'm taking so many different vitamins and minerals to help my adrenal insuffiency, as I believe that is the biggest problem right now. I really don't know what else to do. I've tried the stuff my naturopath gave me: adrenal glandulars, natur-leaf, and THTY-for thyroid, but it hasnt helped at all. I take B5, B6, licorice, aswagahdla, ginsing, vit C, chronium, muti-vitamin, L-Tyrosine, super AO formula, vit D, calcium/magnesim.
    I guess what I'm trying to ask is if anyone has a similar experience or situation, or anyone has any ideas on what I can do to start feeling better. The EXTREME hunger is the worst, I know that can relate to low blood sugar. I don't eat everytime I'm hungry... if I did I'd be eating 24/7, I'm not overweight, and thyroid problems do run in my family.
    I'd really appreciate any advice or insight anyone can give me. I'd like to try any natural remedies first.
    Thanks in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
    Dawn Elise
    (female)

Dawn Elise HB User
    Re: hypothyroid/adrenal/hypoglycemia... I need some help!

I have the sensitivity to loud noises, irritable, shaky when I don't eat

I'm worried about you that perhaps the reason you feel so bad is are you eating ANY grains at all, like ones without gluten? I was told by Dr. Robert Marshall, PhD Nutritionist, years ago, that a person needs to eat some form of starch every 4 -6 hours to keep blood sugar stable. You could eat kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, or potatoes to get that starch, if you dont' want to eat any grains with gluten.

Let me know if you are eating any of these already and if not, try it, and let me know if it helps.

I can relate to the feeling better after eating thing.....I feel sad for you that that only lasts for you for 2 minutes.....Please write back and let me know if you are getting ANY starches---i.e. grains, potatoes, or beans. That is sooooo important for blood sugar stabilization.

I hope this helps. I will check back to see if you posted.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
    Dawn Elise
    (female)

Dawn Elise HB User

I forgot to say that I also am adrnenal insufficient, and I will be going back to my naturopath 10 days from now to see if I can get back on natural hormones, supplements, and a diet.

He told me when I was going to him last year that tyrosine was not that safe...you should be careful with it....I'm sorry I don't know the scientific reason why but it has something to do with being too stimulating. Also, I see you are taking ginseng. Is it American or Siberian/Korean? I read that the American is more calming, the siberian korean is too stimulating. I know when I take it, I get over-anxious....I cannot siberian ginseng.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
    jazzy_jayden
    (female)

jazzy_jayden HB User

Thanks so much for the reply!! I really appreciate it!
    I have a book called "feeling fat, fuzzy or frazzled" thats all about adrenal and thyroid homonal problems. I'm getting a lot of my info from that right now.
    the ginseng I'm taking is panax ginseng, in my book it said it was good for both thyroid and adrenal problems. I havent noticed any differnce from when I wasnt taking the ginseng, compared to when I am. The tyrosine is also something I read about in the book being good for adrenal problems. Gosh, it is soo hard to get proper information, everything seems to conflict. My naturopath also says tyrosine was good for thyroid too, I'm only taking one 500mg cap a day and on the bottle it says take 1 to 3... so hopefully I'll be alright on it. I have an endrocrnologist, but I've only seen him once so far and that was when he did my blood tests, I don't go back until the end of October. My naturopath told me to ask him for synthyroid when I go, and that being on that should help both my thyroid and adrenal become more balanced? .. I have to say though that I'm kind of skeptical about it helping my adrenal, which is why I'm taking all these supplements to try to heal my adrenal right now.
    I've read about the hydrocortisone as well.... it talks about that in the book I have, it also says licorice is good for increasing cortisol, I'm thinking if the licorice doesnt work then I will most likely try that.
    Please please please keep me posted on what your doing and what works for you, it seems we have very similar problems!!
    THANK-YOU so much for the help! Have a good day!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
    Dawn Elise
    (female)

Dawn Elise HB User

my writing is so confused, if any of it doesn't make sense to you, please ask for clarification.

Also, when I was having that fast heartbeat with the HC, I was also taking Dr. Wilson's Adrenal REbuilder which has live tissue extracts in it (my naturo gave it to me) and I finally figured out that THAT is what was causing my fast heart beat.....so maybe I won't have any problem with the HC at all ( i plan to not take the AR, even though part of me wants to because it did give me energy spurts....)

Old 10-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
    Dawn Elise
    (female)

Dawn Elise HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzy_jayden View Post
    The tyrosine is also something I read about in the book being good for adrenal problems. Gosh, it is soo hard to get proper information, everything seems to conflict. My naturopath also says tyrosine was good for thyroid too, I'm only taking one 500mg cap a day and on the bottle it says take 1 to 3... so hopefully I'll be alright on it.

My naturopath told me to ask him for synthyroid when I go, and that being on that should help both my thyroid and adrenal become more balanced? .. I have to say though that I'm kind of skeptical about it helping my adrenal,
    Ummm....I don't think your naturopath is really that wise because he thinks synthroid will help your adrenals and your thyroid. First of all, it's not a bioidentical hormone, so in my opinion it's bad for your thyroid, and second of all, it will not help your adrenals because it is not an adrenal hormone. .....hydrocortisone is. Does he know anything about hydrocortisone? You need to get on hc to help heal the adrenals, and then add a natural thyroid in ....that's my opinion.

About tyrosine, I had read in a book called Prescription for Nutritional Healing the same thing, that it's good for adrenal....we had it in the house and were taking it last year...but when I told Dr. Jace about it he didn't think I should take it. I 'll have to ask him why....I really don't remember....

Maybe you can find a practitioner /naturo that knows more about adrenals and can prescribe natural hydrocortisone....

Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
    jazzy_jayden
    (female)

jazzy_jayden HB User

awhh now I'm getting so stressed out lol . . . I just wish I could actually get a doctor who knows what they are doing!! ... My naturopath doesn't seem to know very much about these problems
    Quote:
    oh, I forgot to say, on the thyroid form that I will eventually take, that is also natural. It is simply called natural thyroid. I don't know if it's armour or what, I will ask next chance I get, but I get that straight from my naturopath. Can your naturo get ahold of some or does he have to be an MD to give that out? I'm not sure how that works.
    yes, if you could find out the name- if its armour? I would be really interested in knowing. I don't think I can get that from my naturopath, the only thing she seemed to have to help thyroid problems was the THTY, with thyroidium in it, which didn't work for me. She said I need to see my endo and get the synthroid and that she couldn't help me anymore. I looked in Chapters for that book you mentioned, but I couldn't find it... where did you get yours?
    I know one thing for sure- when I go back to my endo, I'm going prepared with a lot of questions!!
    You're not taking the hydrocortisone now right?... but planning to start when you go back to your naturopath? ... please let me now how that goes for you, I hope it helps you!! ... and I take it the licorce didn't work for you in the past?
    Thanks for all the help!! Hopefully we can both find relief very soon!!
    stay in touch!!
    have a good day

Old 10-07-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User

Hi JazzyJarden,
    I can truly relate to your situation as I have been dealing with hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue issues. Two years ago I found a good naturopathic doc who helped me with it, but I think my greatest help came from a book called Adrenal Fatigue which I got from ******. It was a life saver. I could see myself in almost every symptom mentioned in the book and I will be forever grateful for it as I'm now seeing results and getting my life back.

For me, the glandular adrenal was a big help, as well as changing my diet. I also found that taking magnesium was a vital part of my new regime. I see you are taking cal/mags. Well, my naturopathic doc says that with adrenal issues, it is better to take the magnesium separately. I take 300 mgs of magnesium citrate before bed with a 1000 mg Vit C as the Vit. C helps the magnesium absorb better. The magnesium helps greatly with adrenals such as helping with stress.

As for my diet, like you I have eliminated about 90% of sugar. No fruit juice and no fruit in the AM unless I work out before i have it. Good proteins are crucial at each meal, especially at breakfast. I do eat meat, but for snacks, I eat mostly raw nuts like almonds, brazil nuts and walnuts.

As far as ginseng. Before I got on the adrenal glandular I had tried the one with ginseng and it sent me into overdrive. My mind was going a mile a minute, I was hardly sleeping and I was really hyper. It didn't agree with me at all. I'll never try it again as it put me in a major tail spin!!

I hope all this helps. Again, I highly recommend that book. It's been a tremendous blessing to me.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
    Dawn Elise
    (female)

Dawn Elise HB User

Quote:
    if you could find out the name- if its armour? I would be really interested in knowing.

I looked in Chapters for that book you mentioned, but I couldn't find it... where did you get yours?

You're not taking the hydrocortisone now right?... but planning to start when you go back to your naturopath? ...

please let me now how that goes for you, I hope it helps you!! ...

and I take it the licorce didn't work for you in the past?

Hi Jazzy! I'm so sorry I dropped off by the wayside for so long, I guess I've just had too much going on to be able to get back here.

To answer your questions: the thyroid i am going to start taking as soon as my other rx's come in the mail is called Westhroid. I dont' know where my naturopath gets it.

I got my book at Barnes and Noble. I believe you can get it at any of the online booksellers like ****** if you don't have a B&N near you.

Yes, you are right, I haven't been taking the hydrocortisone in over a year and my naturopath just prescribed it for me again so I will start it up as soon as my Rx comes in the mail.

The licorice, I don't remember having any probls with it. But he didn't tell me to take it this time. I dont' know why.

I also had the same probls with his form of a greens mix powder because it had ginseng in it, ---similar to the other poster's probls.....so I am substituting a greens powder from a dif. maker and my doctor says that is fine. it doesn't have ginseng in it. I had the exact same symptoms she descirbed,,,,,racing thoughts, couldn't sleep, hyper...nervous...i hated it.

To answer your Q about how it went finally going to my naturo:

I feel very confident that he knows what he is doing. He said i had some circulation problems and some liver problems and I am low thyroid, low adrenals, low aldosterone, he is giving me natural hormones and vitamins and a diet. I have to cut out sugar entirely adn i can feel it helping me already.
    he is giving me florinex to regulate my salt and water balance because my blood work showed I am losing salt.

I haven't started everything yet bcasue i haven't gotten all the Rx's in th e mail yet, but I am sure it is going to help . I feel very confident in my doctor, Dr. Craig Jace. I highly recommend him. He does a whole workup ---blood work, urine, saliva, several blood pressure readings lying and standing, he has different machines that read your body, spends 2 hours with you, costs about $400 then he takes a week to put it all together and come up with a plan and prescriptions for you.

The best to you, and I will try to get back here to check with you again.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
    jazzy_jayden
    (female)

jazzy_jayden HB User

hey dawn!
    thanks for the reply, yes please keep me posted on how things go for you.
    I actually just found out I have another problem... my T3. FREE levels are high, which means hyper, according to my doctor, and that conflicts with my TSH levels which are hypo... he says hes only ever seen this once before, so now im getting some more tests to try to figure out whats going on, and then I have to wait until Feburary to be treated unfortuantly.
    I hope things work out for you, you sound like you have a really good doctor!!
    thanks for the reply also cossette2 I appreciate the insight

Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
    Dawn Elise
    (female)

Dawn Elise HB User

Hi Jazzy!
    I started some of my meds (florinex to be exact and it seems to be helping). I start my thyroid tomorrow...yeah! I majorly blew the diet he put me on the past 2 days and so I feel pretty bad. I have to stay away from wheat, sugar, cows milk, refined foods, lots of stuff, and I just didn't have the food s I could eat prepared so I ended up eating alot of stuff I'm not supposed to. I hope to be better tomorrow.
    why can't you be treated till Feb? I would be interested in what you find out from your doctor too, because the whole hypo hyper thyroid thing is a mystery to me. keep us posted!
    Dawn

Closed Thread