It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board

• ???s about Adrenal Fatigue, Hypoglycemia and Insulin Resistance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
    ???s about Adrenal Fatigue, Hypoglycemia and Insulin Resistance

I have questions for any of you being treated for Adrenal Fatigue or who have knowledge about Adrenal Fatigue and digestion issues. I'm currently being treated for Hypothyroid with 100 mcg of Synthroid and 5 mcg of Cytomel. Went in for blood work a few months ago as I thought I might need an increase in meds, was having very bad heartburn (already was on meds for acid reflux), sleep issues and overall not feeling well.

Labs came back pretty good though I still have not felt well.
    9/12/2008
    TSH: 1.247 (.450-4.5)
    FT4: 1.32 (.61-1.76) 61.74%
    FT3: 3.2 (2.3-4.2) 47.37%

I was diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue about a year and a half ago and put on natural supplements (Adreset) to try and improve that but I've had some major life stressors lately and I'm wondering if it was just too much for my adrenals. Completed the saliva test last week and I am waiting for my results.

Previously I could never sleep in, 8:00 was about the latest I could stay in bed. I've been unemployed since July and now I can barely drag myself out of bed before 9 or 10. But my biggest issue is with my digestion. Previously I was taking Aciphex for acid reflux and was still having issues. Was switched to Nexium and it seemed a bit worse so my GP said to double the dose til my body got used to the new med and that made it even worse. It just totally felt like my food was not digesting, and I was constantly bloated and burping. So I stopped the PPI and started taking papaya enzyme with every meal. It seemed to help and my Naturopath gave me a stronger digestive enzyme to take with my meals. I think I might have overdone it as I started feeling like there was too much acid again so I have lowered the dose. I also had some issues with jaw discomfort and heart palps which I was afraid might be heart related but it appears to just be related to the acid reflux. (Have seen 2 docs about this, not concerned with my heart.)

I also suspect I have issues with Hypoglycemia, feeling rather woozy at times. Although sometimes I notice this more AFTER a meal rather than food making it better - is this a sign of Hypoglycemia??? I am trying to watch my diet more as I can see a direct link. Too much diet pepsi brings on the hypoglycemia episodes and I'm trying to cut back on my carbs and sugars. I've not had a Glucose Tolerance Test but my thinking is that perhaps it is my adrenals causing all these issues and if I start Cortef to treat them perhaps the digestion and hypoglycemia issues will resolve. Anyone concur?

Also, here are my Cortisol Labs from April 2007, still pending last weeks results.
    7am-9am: .37 (.27-2.06)
    11am-1pm: .22 (.03-.77)
    3pm-5pm: .13 (.03-.56)
    10pm-12am: .11 (.03-.50)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
    Re: ???s about Adrenal Fatigue, Hypoglycemia and Insulin Resistance

Comments?? Anyone???

Old 11-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

Heckofagal,
    Sorry you are going through all of this. We have alot of the same issues. I am not sure what symptoms connect to what disease anymore I have so many. lol But I can tell you that I have the same symptoms that you are having. I just had hyperparathyroid surgery too and I was hoping that this would all magically go away after the surgery and it has not, so I am still experiencing all of the same stuff. The heart stuff scares me the most.
    I went to an ND to get some help this week. I am hoping that we can pull this all back together again.
    How often do you get the heart palpitations? Mine is tachycardia now, I have this fast heart rate pretty much constantly now for about 20 months.
    Keep me posted,
    mmee

Old 11-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
    wdiguy
    (male)

wdiguy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmee View Post
    Heckofagal,
    Sorry you are going through all of this. We have alot of the same issues. I am not sure what symptoms connect to what disease anymore I have so many. lol But I can tell you that I have the same symptoms that you are having. I just had hyperparathyroid surgery too and I was hoping that this would all magically go away after the surgery and it has not, so I am still experiencing all of the same stuff. The heart stuff scares me the most.
    I went to an ND to get some help this week. I am hoping that we can pull this all back together again.
    How often do you get the heart palpitations? Mine is tachycardia now, I have this fast heart rate pretty much constantly now for about 20 months.
    Keep me posted,
    mmee
    Hey Mmee,

I had to track you down this way cause they shut down that long thread I started a year ago. My PTH was 11 and also 13 another time. Calcium was normal then high bouncing around. Calicum was sometimes 10.3, 10.6 etc. I am hypothyroid also to answer your other question. Good Luck. Sorry to be off topic everyone.

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

wdiguy,
    Thanks for letting me know.
    mmee

Old 11-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I do not have the heart palps often. I've had them a few times at night when it is time for bed. One morning after eating a bowl of cereal (before I cut down on carbs). Last night the jaw discomfort started up again. Think I will make an appt with a cardiologist just to be sure. I also should be getting my cortisol saliva results any day now! Also thinking about talking to my doc about adding another 5 mcg of Cytomel. Seems mine is just below 50% range.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

With out the cortisol results I can only suggest increasing your T3. Treating adrenals can be tricky. The interplay between adrenals and the thyroid is very delicate. I hope that your MD knows what he/she is doing with regards to treatment.

MG

Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MG - I have confidence in the docs I see but of course there is hardly anyone who will treat adrenals so I don't have much to compare to. Any thoughts as to things I should look out for? I've heard some people who start treating adrenals have trouble tolerating thyroid meds, I'm assuming this would mean hyper symptoms???

I think on another thread you mentioned Cortisol affecting T4 more than T3, is that correct? I'm thinking if the doc starts me on Cortef it might be best to hold off increasing the T3.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Cortisol is the natural shut off mechanism for T4 to T3 conversion. If you do not have enough cortisol you tend to have low T4 values and HIGH T3 values. If you have too much the reverse is true Too much T4 and Too little T3. Treatment of the adrenal in tandem with a thyroid condition is a must.. IF you have an adrenal issue.

Your cortisol results from last year were iffy. You never actually dropped out of range. You were low normal in the morning, but in the evenings you were about where you need to be. Are you low in B12 and vit D. These can effect your adrenals. Did you have an actual ACTH stim test run this last time? You may have a conversion chain issue that is causing an issue.

MG

Old 11-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Just got my labs. Here is what they say:

7am-9am: .51 (.27-1.18)
    11am-1pm: .11 (.10-.41)
    3pm-5pm: .06 (.05-.27)
    10pm-12am: <.03 (.03-.14)

DHEA 7-9 am: 166 (71-640)
    DHEA: Cortisol Ratio/10,000: 325 (115-1,188)

Looks like my morning Cortisol is up but the rest are tanked. Wonder why I don't want to get out of bed in the morning??? My doc has suggested we add Adrenogen to the Adreset, starting with one with the option of increasing up to 2. I sure hope it helps but for some reason I am not very optimistic.

MG - I have been low in both B12 and Vitamin D and have been taking supplements for both for at least a year. I have not had an ACTH stim test and I am sorry to say I really don't know much about that one. I think I will up the Cytomel but I'm not sure if I will do that first or start the Adrenogen. I also might ask the doc for a glucose tolerance test and possible the one where the test the acid in your stomach as I can't tell if I have too much or not enough! But I do have an appt with a Cardiologist next Tuesday so I will most likely wait until I am done with that doc before asking for any other tests.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:26 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heck,

Cardiologist's are really interested in adrenal dysfunction. ESPECIALLY those into electrophysiology. MAKE sure that you bring your tests with you. Since you are not on adrenal supplementation it is best to do an ACTH stim test before starting it. If your don't you will have to go off of it for 4 weeks to get valid test results.

Your DHEA is low. You should get your progesterone, estrogen, and testosterone levels checked as well. These are adrenal products as well. If you are low in these you may benefit from just supplementing your DHEA. How are your cholesterol and triglyceride levels? you can have anything from estrogen dominance to PCOS that affect adrenal health as well. Supplementation of DHEA can also stabilize cortisol levels. Low cortisol may also be a natural adaptaion of your body chemistry as self defense against high RT3 in an attempt to get your T3 concentration up.

How is your ferritin? If this is low it can affect adrenals as well. Cortisol demands are highest first thing in the morning when you are trying to reboot so to speak.
    7am-9am: .51 (.27-1.18) You are 26.4% of normal. This is still suboptimal. My MD believes most do well between 40-60% of the normal range. I have to have a cortisol level of 62% in the morning to balance out my Ft4 and Ft3 conversion.
    11am-1pm: .11 (.10-.41) You are 3.2% of normal range. This is VERY low normal.
    3pm-5pm: .06 (.05-.27) You are 4.5% of normal here. Still on the rim of the toilet.
    10pm-12am: <.03 (.03-.14) You just got flushed. You are low here. Boosting your morning cortisol levels will improve the rest of the days results.

Just supporting the adrenals with supplements may help, fixing the thyroid balance may alsoe help. You will need to test again to determine if either corrects your imbalance. I would ask your Cardiologists opinion on the matter. They will take it seriously given your heart issue.

MG

Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I would not have even thought to bring my Cortisol test to the cardiologist. Just figured he was another MD that would not belive in Adrenal Fatigue! I don't really think I have a heart issue, I believe (hopefully) that the jaw pain, indigestion and heart palps (which I have not had for a few days now) are all digestion or acid reflux related. I will just feel better having a cardiologist tell me that!

Had all the sex hormones tested and was a bit low in progesterone, have been supplementing now for a few months and last test showed improvement and levels looked good. I am embarrassed to say I have not had my cholesterol tested in about 10 years. It was supposed to be tested last time I had my sex hormones tested and it got screwed up at the lab (or with doc request I am not sure). I am pretty sure cardiologist will test this, if not will follow up with my other doc. I've wondered about PCOS. I don't have many of the symptoms like extra hair growth, severe acne or painful periods, but I do have resistance to weight loss and have had ovarian cysts.

Thanks for your help MG!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
    david45249
    (male)

david45249 HB User

Hey Heckofagal. I'm hypothyroid too and I CAN'T wake up in the morning. I've tried a lot of things and nothing has helped so far. I've tried DHEA, pregnenolone and prednisone. After a month on 5 mg of prednisone I woke up after 3.5 hours of sleep and stayed awake. So I'm now taking 2.5 mg for two weeks and quiting. I hope to stay in touch with you and see if you get any answers soon. I plan on trying Cortef to see if I respond better with that than the others. It looks like you and I have similar cortisol levels too. Low but in range in the morning.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #14
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I spent the last 7 to 8 years trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Now I can look back and see all the money I wasted reading books, following diets, trying supplements..have lab tests....on and on and on.......makes me sick. but had to go through that process.....No Doctor took the time to look deep enough. I went to main stream and Alternative Doctors......only one was somewhat on the right track. I kept hearing " it is your age" or "you are going into menopause". Well I am here to tell you I am 55 and not in Menopause yet so they were WAY Wrong !!! ZRT made a small fortune off of me. I kept having my labs retested over and over.

Then when my Nodules showed up all of a sudden they were interested into looking deeper. My nodules validated I was not a hypochondriac.

I have 1) Hypothyroidism 2) Insulin resistance 3) Milk allergy

Finally I have it figured out and finally I feel pretty good....weight is coming off, no daytime naps, wake up easier in Am......out look is better.

The stomach bloating I used to get? Horrible, like my food would not digest...I tried enzymes,charcoal tabs, diets, not eating after a certain time. It was amazing how my upper stomach would distend. I felt terrible. Now I know I have a milk allergy and when I eat dairy my stomach bloats and I feel terrible and tired too. I had it confirmed by Blood test called a RAST.

My fatigue was a combo of Hypothyroidism and Insulin resistance. I have to admit more from the Insulin resistance.....Since I have been treated for that I feel 100% better. Remember the signs........fatigue, depression, weight gain around stomach and back, high cholesterol and or triglycerides, low or high blood sugar and wanting to sleep after eating. If you need to get a 2 hour

As far as my hypothyroidism goes........I feel better now that they have my meds up to where they need to be...

If I could go back.....I would have looked into the food allery with a blood test and demanded a 2pp hour glucose with insulin test.. I just had a hard time believing I had a food allergy......I have never had allergies before. Mild products give me heart palps also......just some of them.

Since you have that bloating.........try staying away from dairy and see what happens.... I used to start my day with Yogurt, then I would eat mozzerella cheese sticks as a snack !!! then there was coffee creamer, and so one.......I had no idea.....I have to look for Casein, Whey and Lacto in products....It is a pain but I feel alot better.

I hope this helps in someway.......all we can do is share our stories....If just one thing in my postings helps someone else I will be happy.

Oleander

Closed Thread