It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypoglycemia Message Board

• Is this normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
    JasmineDne
    (female)

JasmineDne HB User
    Exclamation Is this normal?

My blood sugar levels rarely reach 100+ no matter what I eat. Generally when I wake up my blood sugar level is around 60 and I feel horrible, most of the day I feel tired, jittery, and down right bad. Sometimes I even feel faint upon standing or down right dizzy. Today I ate breakfast (oatmeal and a toaster strudel) In 1 hr my sugar had went up to 83 then in another hour it dropped down to 70 (which is when I generally begin to feel sick). Then afte about another hour it started dropping, so I ate another toaster strudel, a small piece of cake and drank some juice. It reached 100, and in 15 minutes it began dropping again. Is this normal? People tell me that my numbers are "normal" but I feel horrible and I can always tell when it's dropping. Should I be concerned? My doctor knows my levels tend to drop, I even passed out in her office once and all she said was eat 6 small meals a day...then called and was like "yeah, your blood sugar was kind of low...don't forget what I told you" and that was that...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Is this normal?

There is no medical treatment for low blood sugar other than to eat. But looking at your diet, no wonder you are having these spikes. Get off the sugary foods and eat protein. Cheese is your friend. The oatmeal is fine. Mid morning have a snack of cheese and crackers - preferably whole wheat crackers. Then lunch then after noon snack, etc. And I would LOVE to have a blood sugar of 100! mine was 68 after eating breakfast last month and that was the highest it has been in years. Sugar based foods - strudel, etc - will raise your blood sugar but it spikes and then drops soon after. You need proteins and whole wheats that take longer to digest so that the levels remain stable.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
    JasmineDne
    (female)

JasmineDne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    There is no medical treatment for low blood sugar other than to eat. But looking at your diet, no wonder you are having these spikes. Get off the sugary foods and eat protein. Cheese is your friend. The oatmeal is fine. Mid morning have a snack of cheese and crackers - preferably whole wheat crackers. Then lunch then after noon snack, etc. And I would LOVE to have a blood sugar of 100! mine was 68 after eating breakfast last month and that was the highest it has been in years. Sugar based foods - strudel, etc - will raise your blood sugar but it spikes and then drops soon after. You need proteins and whole wheats that take longer to digest so that the levels remain stable.
    i actually ate those things for quick relief. I went to the doctor today and she said hypoglycemia isn't anything to worry about. I generally feel HORRIBLE and I usually eat a balanced diet. Today my doctor said incorporate more pasta and rice. Wouldn't that cause more spikes and drops? The 100 I had is a rare occasion. Since then the highest I have had is about 71 to 75. Around then I start feeling bad. I just don't know what to do.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
    JasmineDne
    (female)

JasmineDne HB User

Oh and she told me '"lots of fruits and veggies'' are bad for me...

Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

xComplex carbs (whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc) will last longer in your system than simple ones (sugar). This isn't a disease but a condition that can be controlled with diet. The sugars will give you quick relief but it will also cause you to really bottom out. Eat things that take longer to digest and stay in your system longer. Veggies don't do that so that's why she said they wouldn't help. Whole wheat bread and crackers are your friends. Keep some crackers with you at all times. Eat oatmeal or whole wheat toast for breakfast. All sandwiches should be on whole wheat bread. The way oyu are eating right now is your worst enemy.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
    JasmineDne
    (female)

JasmineDne HB User

thank you, like I just woke up and as usual my sugar is 50. Yet my dumb doctor yesterday said it is no cause for alarm.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, in fact, it isn't as it's not going to lead to anything fatal...unless of course, you refuse to eat. Eating properly will control it. And once you get used to eating right, it will all be fine. Mine was. I just had to remember to eat - and eat the right things.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Jasmine,

There is nothing normal about waking up with a blood sugar of 50. The normal range is 70-100 for fasting. I totally get why you eat sugary things to rescue you from the lows. All of your counterregulatory hormones begin kicking in when the glucose gets under 70. If you are sitting at that level, and also lower, most of the time, you would feel awful!

You need to see an endocrinologist. There is something called an insulinoma that causes fasting hypoglycemia. It is a non-malignant tumor on the pancreas that causes lows, and people with them HAVE to eat sugary things to keep their glucose up until it is removed with surgery.

I am not saying you have this, but have it checked into further.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It certainly can be normal. I had a level of 58 last year (this year 68 - highest it's ever been) after a piece of toast and a cup of tea (with sugar!). And no tumors on the pancreas...all is well. Mine is just simply low. I try to eat a small snack before bedtime to help it stay up during the night.

Closed Thread