It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

Should I have a hysterectomy or a D&C?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
Hajo297
(female)

Hajo297 HB User
Should I have a hysterectomy or a D&C?

I am 49 years old and just started peri menopause this years in 2018. I had no period in January or February. End of March I got my period for almost two weeks, Then twice in June. Now In July two weeks after my last one I got my period again super light for 5 days then it became super heavy again for 4 days and it is still going.
About two years ago the Doctor recommended to have my uterus removed for adendomyosis & severe Pelvic pain but I ended up just having the endometriosis removed and not the uterus. But now with the bleeding and still I have bad pelvic pain and spasms should I go and have the uterus removed or just a D&C?
I just found out with a T3 MRI test that I have pelvic floor congestion also which is still contributing to my pelvic pain and possible scar tissue. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Hajo297; 07-08-2018 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Misspelling

The following user gives a hug of support to Hajo297:
YaYagirl (07-07-2018)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Should I have a hysterectomy or a D&C?

Having had a hysterectomy 12 years ago, I'd avoid one at all costs. Of course, those who have cancer don't have a choice but otherwise, it causes a whole new set of problems that are permanent and tend to get progressively worse. This irregular bleeding and menstrual pain are temporary as they will end at menopause. The after effects of hysterectomy - anatomical effects on bladder and bowel, skeletal / figure changes, sexual losses and high risk of impaired ovarian function - are for the rest of your life. Intact women's ovaries produce hormones their whole lives which protect them from heart disease, stroke, dementia, parkinsonism, mood disorders, lung cancer, sleep disorders, aging of skin, hair and eyes.

Have you considered medication instead of a D&C (which also has some risks)? Contraceptives will regulate your cycle but there's also a non-hormonal medication (tranexamic acid / Lysteda) that can be taken for heavy bleeding. Being that you're 49, it seems that menopause should not be too far off.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Hajo,

I believe it is highly important to get at least two copies of your records (and make a copy to keep for yourself) and get the opinions of at least two FEMALE Gynecologists, not male, and not in the same medical group, and make sure ask them to explain their reasons. Write down any questions you have so you remember to ask them. Even write down the answers.

I believe that keeping all organs intact as much as is safe is important. Disease is a different story. There are good reasons for giving up some organs.

I had a hysterectomy when about your age due to pelvic area pain issues and don't regret it. Yes, it is a drastic change. In my case, my body would not have been normal without the full hysterectomy no matter what. Our hormones are very important but saving the ovaries is not reasonable when getting a hysterectomy as when detached from the uterus ovaries die anyway. If they are diseased or are not functioning properly it is a small sacrifice in this day and age of available hormone replacement.

Regardless your decision, you may benefit from hormone replacement. Discuss that with the doctors. That will help you make a decision. We can't know what is best for you.

Love,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 07-07-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
Hajo297
(female)

Hajo297 HB User

I am so clueless In all this. My hormone panel is very off. So this Wed I will talk to the Doc. But I have severe pelvic pain and wondering if the pelvic floor congestion is contributing. I do go to pelvic floor PT. The doctor said if I have the hysterectomy it will get rid of the pelvic floor congestion and maybe also the Pelvic pain. Thank you everyone for replying

Old 08-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Read and learn all you can about it. Unless your female organs are diseased there is no reason to have a hysterectomy. Even after menopause the organs provide protections.
This website https://www.mayoclinic.org/ has reliable info. If you do have a hysterectomy you need to be prepared for immediate menopause and all those complications and side effects. That is not to say you would not benefit, but you need to know what may change and how it can affect you. It won't all be positive, you can be sure.

You can search all related words and phrases you can think of such as female hormone replacement and hysterectomy side effects and other words or phrases.

It is imperative that you educate yourself about your body. Doctors have differing opinions and are just human beings. You alone will be living with your decisions.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-10-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Reply Reply