It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Pregnancy with a large Fibroid

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
    bradsen
    (male)

bradsen HB User
    Pregnancy with a large Fibroid

Hello All,

We are from India and My wife is 34 years of age and recently we have come to know of 7weeks conception of baby with a fibroid measuring 7.6*7.7*4cms(vol: 229.4cc) being already present there in the uterus. We did not know of the existence of Fibroid before neither was any sign/symptom of it. She is a working lady and life/activities were never hampered for any health related issue.

I am jotting down the OB-Pregnancy Scan Report here for better understanding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OB-Pregnancy Scan Report

Early pregnancy Scan
    Real Time B-Mode ultrasonography of gravid Uterus done.
    Route : Transabdominal and TransVaginal

Primigravida Non consangunious marriage MC:Regular
    LMP GA: 6W 3D
    USG GA: 6W 6D

Maternal

Cervix: 3.4(TVS), VCL seen in the left ovary measuring 17*15mm
    F1 : Anterior wall mid to lower corpus intramural left sided fibroid measuring with dense internal calcification 7.6*7.7*4cms(vol: 229.4cc)

Fetus

Survey

Gestational Sac seen. Sac margins appeared regular.
    Yolk sac present.
    Cardiac activiry present
    Fetal heart rate - 121 bpm

Fetal biometry
    CRL-5.5mm(6WGD) Mediscan

Impression
    Single live intrauterine gestation of 6weeks 6days, corresponds with dates with a large anterior wall fibroid.
    Suggested NT scan at 12-13 weeks of pregnancy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I want to understand and discuss with people who have undergone such experiences and what they did for prosperity of the Mother and the child.
    Do we need to terminate the pregnancy so that the fibroid can be treated first the child conception later.

I understand that the Fibroid is quite big. What I am worried about is that would the fetus get hampered in its growth as it is jostling for space and nutrition with the Fibroid.

Please share your wisdom and experience so that I can ask the right questions to the doctors for better analysis of the situation and arrive at the right decision.

A lot of Thanks for any of your suggestion and words of wisdom.

Regards

Brendon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Pregnancy with a large Fibroid

Unfortunately these are conversations to have with your doctor. No one here is a medical professional.
    Your doctor can discuss exactly where the fibroids are in relationship to the embryo and what risks, if there are any, are involved.

Congratulations on the baby. Try not to worry and make sure your wife has a follow up scheduled to discuss with her OB GYN.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    bradsen (09-30-2019)
    Old 09-30-2019, 02:25 AM   #3
    bradsen
    (male)

bradsen HB User

Hi MSNik,

Thanks for the response.

The Gyn/OB and she said there is risk but she would rather wait one month more for a another scan and then she would say what's the way forward. She moreover said not to worry as patients with large Fibroids had undergone uneventful delivery under her supervision. She did not further elaborate and since we didn't know much about Fibroids before we didn't have much to inquire .

Thank you very much again.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-30-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User

Hello bradsen,

Not to worry.

The doctor knows that the womb stretches and can even hold several babies at once.
    If there becomes a danger the doctor will know and inform your wife.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #5
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I hope all is going well with mom and baby. I know women who had large fibroids and had healthy babies. And of course there are many women who have multiple births so the uterus can get quite large.

Since you posted in the hysterectomy forum, I just wanted to say that fibroids are very common benign growths and oftentimes don't need to be treated or removed. They may cause heavy or irregular bleeding but meds are an option for that. And if they get too large, they may cause some annoying bladder symptoms. If symptoms do get bothersome enough, there is a surgery for removing the fibroids and saving the uterus and its reproductive and non-reproductive functions. It is called myomectomy. I had a hysterectomy well after completing my family (close to menopause) and wish I had known more about its effects.

Last edited by STLouisgal; 10-20-2019 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Added more info

Reply Reply