It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Large Fibroid and Robotic Hysterectomy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-23-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
    irishsue
    (female)

irishsue HB User
    Large Fibroid and Robotic Hysterectomy

I am 61 years old and have a robotic hysterectomy scheduled for next month. I have a fibroid the size of a grapefruit that has gotten larger in the last year.
    The problem is my bladder. It is pressing on my bladder so I have to go all the time. Iíve seen to urologists to rule out other things.
    My question is Iím a bit nervous about this procedure What kind of pain can I expect after procedure? Given that I went through menopause 10 years ago and she is taking my ovaries will I need hrt?
    Any help with someone who has had this procedure would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Large Fibroid and Robotic Hysterectomy

I had a hysterectomy along with ovary removal at age 49. Although I didn't have horrible pain after surgery, the after effects have been awful for me in so many ways (even with HRT).

I wish I had understood how important the uterus and ovaries are our whole lives for so many reasons. Unfortunately, the uterus is treated as if we don't need it after childbearing and the ovaries as if they shut down at menopause. Neither is true.

I assume imaging was done to show that the fibroid has indeed grown? Have you considered or pursued having just the fibroid removed via myomectomy? It doesn't seem as readily available but would allow you to keep your uterus and its anatomical and sexual functions as well as its possible hormonal feedback with the ovaries.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
    irishsue
    (female)

irishsue HB User

Thanks for the reply I did ask about a myomectony but dr said it was too large

Old 10-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

May be worth getting other opinion(s).

Reply Reply