It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Prolapsed uterus - hysterectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
    cog

cog HB User
    Prolapsed uterus - hysterectomy?

Hello - has anyone out there had a hysterectomy due to a prolapsed uterus? I'm a 46 year old mother of two, and both of my babies were large (9 lbs. plus) and my uterus has relaxed to the point that my cervix is literally out of my body at times. It's not painful, but very annoying and it causes problems with tampons when I have my period. My gynecologist thinks a hysterectomy is an option right now, but also mentioned the use of a 'pesary' (is that how it's spelled?) to try put the uterus higher. She also said that when I am in menopause, my uterus will relax even more due to lack of hormones.

Is a hysterectomy the only viable solution? Any thoughts out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
    debbiep
    (female)

debbiep HB User
    Re: Prolapsed uterus - hysterectomy?

Hi there I had a hysterectomy for a prolapse uterus mainly because my main symptom was urine frequency,when I felt that I need to go to the toilet all the time. It didnt resolve my frequency so I have since regretted the hysterectomy. Im 45 with 2 boys and although I didnt want more children I still feel disappointed in not looking more into it like you are now. Since ,I have found a few messageboards on prolapse and most op for a surgery that involves mesh to hold up the uterus...There are many operations involving supporting the uterus. I think there is also one where they use your own muscles but I dont think the success rate is very high after 5 years or so .Please look into it more . I tried but couldnt use the pessary as it put other pressures on the rectum etc causing pain. I may have had the wrong size pessary fitted tho because I wished it did work so I had more time in seaching info to make a deccission. Good luck in your choice . takecare debbiep

Old 02-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
    cog

cog HB User

Hi Debbiep - thanks for your reply - I'm sorry the hysterectomy didn't work for you as you wanted it to - I've been reading as much as I can, and I'm finding two whole different schools of thought about it. I'm still pretty undecided. One of my most annoying symptoms is the urination frequency (like you) and it didn't solve the problem for you.... probably wouldn't for me either. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet - I do feel a fullness all the time, and some of the things I'm reading say that a prolapsed uterus can cause low back pain, which is something I have had for a long time. I don 't know if a hysterectomy would help or not.......

I ramble. But thanks for your reply - I'm still researching the whole idea...

Old 02-08-2004, 01:37 AM   #4
    debbiep
    (female)

debbiep HB User

hi again ,Im suprised how many women seem to suffer from urine frequency,prolapse etc. I too have a sore back. What I would suggest is to maybe think of the bladder/uterus suspension first as if that fails after a few years you could then op for a hysterectomy. I had one friend who had the same as me/us and she had the suspension done and her frequency went,mm...I feel that my prolapse is worse since the hysterectomy so they are not always the answer. I dont want to talk you out of it but I felt very un womanily after the hysterectomy,like there was a hole in my womenhood. I know this sounds funny and I didnt expect to feel like that. Its been nearly 4 years now since my hysterectomy. You know all women have some natural amount of prolapse as they age . Again Im not trying to talk you out of the hysterectomy either as in some ways it has been good also . Just keep researching and chatting to others as you learn alot from other women. My frequency I feel is more hormonal. I did notice it would follow my monthly cycle when I had one. I feel it could be a premenopausal symptom!!!! Which a hysterectomy will not fix....takecare again,love debbiep

Closed Thread