It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• abdominal hysterectomy vs vaginal hysterectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2004, 04:34 AM   #1
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
    abdominal hysterectomy vs vaginal hysterectomy

Has anyone experienced this newer method?
    My gyno and I have finally discussed a hysterectomy and she feels I'd be a perfect candidate for this new hysterectomy.
    I have adenomyosis and a fibroid tumor which I suffer with cramping just about every week of my cycle. I am tired of being in constant pain.
    Motrin doesn't work for me and I refuse to take birthcontrol pills to stop my periods. they don't cure the problem they only treat the symtoms. Plus I smoke cigarettes and I'm 44 yrs old. I don't want a stoke.
    she mentioned using an IUD that has progesterin in it that's dispensed or absorbed into the uterus to stop the symtoms. I am not taking the risk of infection plus the hormones. So I'm opting for the hysterectomy.
    they say it the surgery takes longer which means more anesthesia but the recovery time is much quicker. INstead of a 6-week recovery period, it would be only 4 weeks. The dr. said it's still painful though.
    I've looked this up on the internet but haven't spoken to anyone that's had this surgery.
    I'm afraid to just jump into this quickly. she's also not the type of dr. to just take out a woman uterus without trying other non surgical methods to treat them.
    I want to leave the only one ovary I have, but I have a chronic hemmorhagic cyst that comes and goes. I still have about 7 or less more yrs. before I enter menopause. is it better to keep the ovary or have it removed too?
    If I have it removed I will go into menopause which I'm petrified of losing my precious hormones. the synthetic hormone, HRT;s are dangerous I've heard.
    I have a family history of breast cancer, reproductive cancer and cervical cancer with my sisters and grandmother. Both sisters have breast cancer. I'm petrified of getting it myself.
    do I keep the ovary and risk getting problems up the road? or do I just battle with the menopause now in my 40's?
    Has anyone else gone through this or going through this?
    any info would be helpful to me at this point. I only have to the end of this month(sept.04) to decide. My dr. will not be participating with Oxford anylonger. I love this dr. and it took me multiple dr.s to go through before I found this great woman. we are compatible and she listens to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User
    Re: abdominal hysterectomy vs vaginal hysterectomy

I think the biggest advantage to the abdominal hysto is that you can still keep your cervix, whereas with the vaginal you cannot. I have not had the procedure done but was contemplating it back in the spring. Apparantly the cervix has it's own blood supply seperate from the uterus so they can sever it and save the cervix (they call it a cervical stump). Many women feel that the cervix is important to their sexual well being.

WHen you say "abdominal" do mean actual abdominal incisions or do you mean laproscopically? I am refering to the lap, which is where they make a few small holes in the abdomen and remove the uterus through them, rather than making a big long incision.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:23 AM   #3
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
    Re: abdominal hysterectomy vs vaginal hysterectomy

I never knew they did the hyster through laparoscope.
    I always thought it was through a large insicion through the abd.
    If it's done through just a few cuts in the abd.how on earth do they get it out?
    I thought through a laparotomy. I had a laparotomy for my tubal ligation and a cyst removal. Afreak accident happened and I almost lost my life through hemorraging. They had to do emergency surgery the next morning and stop it. It was happening internally.
    to this day they still don't know what caused it. It was oozing out as the drs. put it. they even called a special blood dr.to see if there was something they were missing with me. They also had to remove the intestines out of my abd.to see where the bleeding was coming from. they said it wasn't related to the cutting they did and they were blaming it on gastro. They said it was coming from up above. not in the region they were working on.
    I don't believe them. Then they had to put me in CCU unit and there was something going on without the kidneys and my heart. they had to put this nasty bitter pill under my tongue. I looked like I was at deaths door. My family freaked out when they came to visit me. I was a mess.
    By the time I left the hospital 10 days later, I was a walking skeleton and I was white as a ghost, actually gray looking. I couldn't even eat a tbl.spoon of food without excruciating pain, due to the intestines being taken out and put back in. It was the worst experience of my LIFE!
    My family wanted me to sue my dr. do to the emotional and physical stress they put me through.
    I forgave this dr.because accidents happen. they shared with me while I was up in ccu that ( her associate shared with me) that they had alot of freaky incidents happen to them with their patients within a half yr.time. all related to some form of bleeding. The head dr. doesn't know her associate shared this with me. I will always wonder.
    This all happened to me just from having an innocent tubal ligation.
    So I have worried every time I take the chance to go in and have minor surgery performed. So far so good. I thought the vaginal would be less risky.
    I also thought when they do a hysterectomy that they automatically remove the cervix too.
    thanks for pointing this out. I will mention this to my gyno. I might consider having it removed anyway because I've had problems with chronic cervixitits, parokarotosis. just this past January. she did a cone biopsy becuase according to the Cat Scan radiologist, the reading looked like cervical cancer. I've had some bad cells on it in the past and had some chemcial slough the lining off.
    I am a walking MESS with gyno problems for years now. it's as if my body is turning against me. What else can happen? it's getting ridiculous and I'm embarrased when something new happens. just to have to mention it to my partner. the doc said I'm a good canidate for a hysterectomy.
    Oh well. I just don't want to have to regret it up the road. with all the bad things I hear from other woman. and how they miss their hormones, etc. I'm trying to keep the only ovary I have. for the hormones. which is causing me to act like a basket case most of the time. I don't know if it's over load or lack of them. who knows anymore. I'm getting exhausted from all of this.
    thanks for your reply. I apologize for my lengthy story. I will never forget it and I'm still traumatized by it.

Closed Thread