It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Anyone regret having hysterectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
    sunnydaze1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
    Anyone regret having hysterectomy?

I've been seriously contemplating having this done as my quality of life does suffer from month to month. Sick of planning my appointments and get togethers around my period!

At age 49, I thought menopause would be at my doorstep, but my hormones are functioning quite well and on time like clockwork. Younger women than me sit next to me fanning themselves because of a hot flash. I don't..not yet anyway.

Not one woman I've spoken to has any regrets about having it done, in fact they say they wish they'd done it sooner.

Any comments on those that have gone through this? BTW, I would need an abdominal hysterectomy due to my uterus' large size (14-16 week pregnancy size). I've also had a c-section and two other abdominal surgeries in the past 18 years so I'm no stranger to pain and recovery.

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 04-09-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
    KileyGirl
    (female)

KileyGirl HB User
    Re: Anyone regret having hysterectomy?

Hi Sunny- this is a complicated subject, however I want to say that I hope you are extremely well informed before you make the decision.

I have endometriosis and adhesions that lead to me a partial hysterectomy (removed uterus only). During surgery I contracted an infection and 2 years later, still have not yet gotten rid of it even after numerous rounds of antibiotics.
    You may have a fantastic outcome, as many other women experience. But please, ask questions and do your homework. What they don't tell you is that you may have proplapsed organs (the uterus and cervix serve to support your abdominal organs) and/or painful adhesions due to the hysterectomy, not to mention instant menopause if your ovaries are removed. Remember, you CAN keep your ovaries and cervix, though some Dr.s don't bother to mention that option! There is some thought that this may help preserve sexual function.
    If your procedure is done through laparotomy, your infection/complication rate is higher and recovery is more difficult.

My mother had total hyst. (soley for heavy bleeding) and was thrilled with the outcome. So, there's another side..
    My theory is don't risk the possible complications unless you are in pain. But whatever you decide, I wish you the best of health!

JMO, Kiley

Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
    fifistoosh
    (female)

fifistoosh HB User

Hi,
    I am 37 and used to suffer everymonth, well at the finish I only had 1 week free from blood and pain. My doc would not let me have a hysterectomy just yet, he wanted to wait until I was 40 (men huh!)
    I tried the Medina coil first but it did nothing for me, so I went on to have a microwave endometrial ablation (unsure of the spelling) . They removed the lining of my womb (deeper than a D&C) and corterised it at the same time.
    months down the road and I have never felt better, my periods last only two days and I don't even know they are on their way!

Hope you find a solution.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

12 years later (had mine at age 38)....never regretted it one day! I had endo and fibroids and hell periods from day one.

Definitely do your homework and know all your options.

I would never have gone for a partial, but if I could have kept my ovaries I would have considered that tho.

Nope, never regretted it.

q

Old 04-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
    las7715
    (female)

las7715 HB User

I had a total hysterectomy in 2001. I am 48 now. I had endo pretty bad - could never conceive but husband had low sperm count anyway. I obviously love not having periods anymore but coincidentally or not, I've developed joint pain and back problems since then-feel like I'm aging faster than normal- on the inside anyway. Ovarian cancer runs in my family which is why I wanted to get rid of my ovaries and I'm currently on HRT so if I had to do over I'd still have a total hysterectomy. The downside is having to take the HRT to avoid menopausal symptoms (and they are controversial as we know)and the arthritis and back problems may have stricken me without without the hysterectomy...it's hard to say.

Last edited by las7715; 04-14-2005 at 12:21 PM.

Closed Thread