It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Surgical menopause...hot flashes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User
    Surgical menopause...hot flashes

Moved to menopause board...not sure where this thread belongs???

Last edited by SRMom; 03-22-2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: moved to menopause board

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
    djl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User
    Re: Surgical menopause...hot flashes

SR MOM
    I would talk to your doc about a very Low dosage of Entrogen. I am on 0.05mg of Estroderm patch and I change it 2x a week. It DOES help, yet not totaly. I also take Xanax. Actualy my Xanax is a higher dose the the Estrgen. Xanax is 0.25mg 3x a day when needed. It actualy helps with the hot flashes, night sweats and mood swings. It also can make you tired so it can hopefuly help with the insomnia.
    I would deffinately talk to the doc about these options.
    Any questions please ask !!!
    How is your abdomen feeling?? When are you going for the Colonoscopy??

Old 03-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

djl:

Thanks so much for your continued support...I knew I could count on you. I actually already have a prescription for Xanax that I've needed on occasion for panic attacks. When I told my gynecologist the Ambien wasn't covered, she just told me to take the Xanax my GP had prescribed. I have been a little worried about building a tolerance for Xanax, because I really need it to work for my panic attacks...but I guess if it's okay with my doctors, I'll take it more often. My prescription is .5 mg. every 4 hours as needed, but I've tried to keep it to only two pills per week and I break them in half.

Anyway, if you think the low dose of estrogen won't cause me any troubles I guess I'll ask for it. I can always stop if I don't like it, right?

I'm going to see my GP to ask for a colonoscopy, but I'm waiting to finish my dental work...I had to have a root canal and I'm waiting for a crown. It's always something...I feel like I'm falling apart...lol! My abdomen still hurts, but it seems like it's a little better. I'll bet it's IBS...I just need to make sure it's nothing more serious. I still want to be checked for hernia too. Ugghh! Thanks again djl!

Any other opinions on add-back estrogen are welcome, or how long we have hot flashes.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

djl...I forgot to ask you (or anyone else) what the side-effects of HRT are? Do they bother anyone terribly?

Old 03-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
    AmyW
    (female)

AmyW HB User

Hey SRMom! I'm having hot flashes too, around the same number as you too. Once per hour. It's horrible! I feel really cold when they stop, too. My doc has me taking 1/25 mg of Cenestin. I don't like this medication and am going to ask about a patch. The Cenestin doesn't seem to be helping at all.

I'm also having terrible mood swings and feel very emotional all day long. I'm not sure about HRT. I would research it online plus ask your doc.

Hope to hear from you soon, that you're feeling better!

Love, Amy

Old 03-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

Hi Amy...thanks for the response! Sorry you are going through this too. Maybe the dosage of your estrogen is too small? My insurance formulary doesn't even mention a .25 estradiol...I think .5 is the lowest. How long have you been taking the Cenestin? Djl likes the patch, but I think my insurance will make me pay more for that. Ugghhh! I wonder if taking this med will just make me feel like I did when I had PMS? Don't want to go back there...lol!!

Old 03-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
    djl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hey Sr Mom
    I have not had any side effects of HRT.
    But I think Breast Cancer unfortunately is one. But you are a higher risk if it runs in your family. But like everything else we take in meds, there is always side effects.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
    dompierre5
    Inactive
    (female)

dompierre5 HB User

Hello,
    I had my abdominal hysterectomy Jul 1st 2005. I have been taking nothing but soy isoflavones. It significantly reduces the hot flashes and improved the lining of the vagina. I also use a good lubricant. I take 80 mg per day of the soy isoflavones. Even my OB GYN noticed the improvement in the vaginal tissue. I also drink lots of water, especially Dasini water cause it has a little Magnesium in it. I tried the low estrogen (Vagi-Fem) and others, they just gave me mood swings like the birth control pill used to.
    I'm glad I had this surgery. I was suffering from severe endometriosis.

Closed Thread