It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Information on Laproscopic Hysterectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
    UofMFan
    (female)

UofMFan HB User
    Smile Information on Laproscopic Hysterectomy

I have decided to get a hysterectomy to stop excessive uterine bleeding. In June, I had a procedural called endometrial ablation and the doctor thought that it would stop (or at least control) the bleeding, but it doesn't appear that the procedure worked. When I went to the doctor the other day to discuss options, he mentioned that instead of doing the abdominal hysterectomy, a partner of his has learned the procedure of a laproscopic hysterectomy in which only the uterus is removed and the recovery time is much less. Has anyone had this procedure done? Please tell me your stories. And also, did your menstrual cycle stop then? He stated that I may have spotting afterward, but nothing like I have now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
    randyk47
    (male)

randyk47 HB User
    Re: Information on Laproscopic Hysterectomy

Rather than repeat the whole story you can read my record of our trip through the decision process and procedure. It's on this board probably down a number of threads. Bottom line is that my wife had LSH and couldn't be more pleased. Her doctor doesn't think she'll have any spotting as that is, according to the doctor, pretty rare. She's gone long enough now to have been through one full cycle, in fact it would have been this past week, and experienced nothing....no spotting, no water retention, and no breast tenderness. We were kind of watching this time especially as she had her surgery just a few days before her period would have been due and kind of wrote off nothing happening at that time as just too soon to judge.

Last edited by randyk47; 09-11-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
    UofMFan
    (female)

UofMFan HB User

Thanks for the note. I read the thread that you have been posting on and appreciated the insights. Please keep me updated on your wife's progress and whether she has any issues with spotting/bleeding going forward. My surgery is not scheduled yet and probably won't be for a couple of months, so I'll be interested to hear how things are going for your wife. Thanks again!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
    randyk47
    (male)

randyk47 HB User

No problem. Might add that today is a milestone of sorts as my wife's surgery was 6 weeks ago today. Somewhere in my old tired mind I remember being told that the body runs in a 6-week healing cycle.....something about the cell replace rate....so I was kind of paying attention to see where she was 6 weeks post-op. (I think she's getting tired of me asking her how she's doing. ) Anyhow, as of this morning she's doing great with no particular complaints.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
    Sircatnip
    (female)

Sircatnip HB User

Hi UofMFan
    I had a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy on 5/26/2006. My recovery was about 4 weeks. I had no problems except for a urinary tract infection from the catheter. Everything has healed and I was back to work on 6/26/2006. I feel fine. I had the surgery because I had a large uterine fibroid (the size of a grapefruit). My ovaries were left intact, but I have had no menstrual periods since May.

If your doctor can do the LSH, it's worth considering. The recovery time is a lot quicker. My sister had an abdominal hysterectomy about 10 years the old fashioned way. It took her a long long time to get straightened out and she was sore for a long long time from the incision.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
    UofMFan
    (female)

UofMFan HB User

Thanks for the information. I am planning on the laproscopic surgery and just want to get as much information about it as possible. I will more than likely have mine late in the year. I'm waiting for the doctor's office to schedule it. I will keep you updated.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
    UofMFan
    (female)

UofMFan HB User

My laproscopic hysterectomy has been scheduled for Nov. 29th. Actually, since I wrote last, I have quite a time of it. About two weeks ago, I started my cycle and the second night, I started bleeding quite heavily. By 6:30am, I had lost so much blood that I fainted. My husband called the ambulance, which took me to the hospital (we had gone on our own to the ER, but sat for hours and was never seen). My hemoglobin was 7 (which is very low) and I was given two pints of blood. They also did an ultrasound and found that I had a fibroid tumor, which has probably been causing all of my problems. They sent me home and I saw my doctor the next day - he wants to wait until Nov 29th to build up my hemoglobin before surgery. He also gave me a shot of Lupron to stop the estrogen in my system and will also help to shrink the tumor before surgery. (Has anyone had the Lupron injections?) It has given me some menopausal systems - mainly hot flashes. He still feels that a laproscopic hysterectomy can be performed. So - I'm anxious to get this over with but still very nervous as I've never had any surgery or never had children.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
    UofMFan
    (female)

UofMFan HB User

Randy - I've still been checking your wife's progress. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:09 AM   #9
    randyk47
    (male)

randyk47 HB User

Sorry to hear you've had some problems. At least you can see the "light at the end of the tunnel" so to speak as you have a surgery date. My wife is doing just great. She's at 10+ weeks post-op now and feeling fine. I haven't posted much lately because there's really not a lot to say and probably will "close" off my postings at 3 months post-op as that's pretty much the end of the full healing cycle of 10-12 weeks. We'll be thinking of you so keep us posted.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
    benniemydog

benniemydog HB User

Can you explain the precedure. I am 64 and going to talk to my dr oct 23. I am scared about all the drugs i might fall and so on. If I would 50 I would not be that afraid.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
    randyk47
    (male)

randyk47 HB User

Benniemydog - Laparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy is a surgery first of all. It's a procedure where the surgeon using laparoscopic instruments to view and remove internal organs and can be used to remove the uterus and ovaries but not the cervix. The big benefit for my wife was only 3 small incisions and that helped with pain and recovery. I can't speak for others but my wife only took minimum pain killers the first couple of days post-op and was on regular Motrin or Advil by the morning of the third day. She was pretty much totally back on her feet within a week and back to work without any significant problem two weeks after her surgery. Talk to your doctor about the alternatives that might be available to you. Not all people are good candidates for LSH.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
    benniemydog

benniemydog HB User

Thank you for your reply. It did help.I do not know how much pain medicine I willl have to take but maybe like your wife I will not need so much pain medicine. I just keep reading about how much pain medicine most people where on . Your wife is so lucky to have you.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:04 AM   #13
    waitingfor1023
    (female)

waitingfor1023 HB User

Hello UofMFan-

I was on Lupron for 7 months for endo. There were several advantages, such as no periods and NO PAIN. I personally had horomonal headaches and severe depression. Keep in mind however, I had just had a baby and think I was suffering from P.P.D. and the shots just put it over the edge. If, I were younger and didn't have any children, I would do the Lupron shots all over again. Ask for AddBack to allieviate your hot flashes some. It's a mild horomone replacement drug. Good Luck and stay positive.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
    benniemydog

benniemydog HB User

You said that you got a urinary tract infection from the cathteter how long was the catheter in.Did you have to stay in the hospital over night.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
    UofMFan
    (female)

UofMFan HB User

Thanks for the information on Lupron. I have only been on the shot for about 3 1/2 weeks, but today started spotting again and am afraid that I'll start bleeding again. Do you think that will happen when I'm on it? I will be getting my second shot next week. I haven't seemed to have any side effects except for the hot flashes. Thanks for your note - I'll keep you updated.

Closed Thread