It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Early Hysterectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
    diggerswife
    (female)

diggerswife HB User
    Question Early Hysterectomy

Hi, I'm 27 yrs old and am schedule to have a complete hysterectomy in November, because of endometriosis. I am very nervous and was wondering if anyone could be some advice as to what to expect and how to handle it
    I will appriciate any advice given

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 06:49 AM   #2
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
    Re: Early Hysterectomy

Diggers wife,
    I didn't do any research before my hysterectomy and you're wise to do this before yours.

are you going to be put on any form of estrogen afterwards? ask your dr which would be the best for you unless you're not able to take hormone replacement. bring lose clothing with you for the ride home. nothing contstricting on your tummy.

I had my total hysterectomy last oct 2005 . The day I was set up for my urgery, I thought I had no options of whether I'd have a spinal block or just the anesthesia. before you have your surgery, the anesthesiologist comes into evaluate you and introduce themselves.
    mine asked me right on the operating table if I wanted a spinal. he didn't give me much time to think it over.
    I happened to refuse it because I've heard that sometimes they can cause severe headaches for days and the idea of being numb from the waste down makes me panic.
    I didn't have time to give this option any thought which I think was unfair.
    now I know why he said I should've had a block because when you wake up in the recovery room you will feel intense burning. I hurt intensely.
    at first when I woke up I couldn't feel my legs and thought maybe this guy gave me the block and I screamed at him. I become very emotional on the sedation medication. I told him he had no right to give me the block without my permission and he swore to me he didn't give it to me. because my legs were numb. but I was able to feel my legs again within minutes. I did feel the burning from the abdominal inscision and from inside where they removed the uterus, one tube and one ovary plus cervix.
    the medication they gave me wasn't strong enough and I kept complaining of this. a different dr came into see me while I was in a state of blur and I recall him saying to me no wonder I was in pain. they weren't giving me a strong enough dosage. so make sure you speak up if you are in pain.
    also, they will put thigh high tight stockings on you before the surgery to help prevent blood clots, wear them.
    and when you get to your room, they should put the electrical stimulating cuffs on your lower legs. it prevents blood clots from forming. it massages the lower limbs.
    that's why they want you up as soon as possible to walk, becaues any form of abdominal surgery puts one more at risk of blood clots forming in the legs.

another suggestion, when you return home and they prescribe opiates, don't take too much or stay long too long on them because they bind you up and you have to drink lots and lots of water to keep your bowels moving even though that's the last thing you want to do is push. Try not to eat heavy foods that are hard to digest like meats. I didn't plan ahead of time to stock up on soups, yogurts, light foods initially. I ate what I wanted and boy did I pay for that. no one told me not to.
    ask for a stool softener and do NOT make the mistake I did of staying in bed too many days because of pain. I wound up having a blockage and had to go back into the hospital almost aweek later from the surgery.
    I entered thru ER. it was the worst pain I've ever been in. spasmatic type pain that comes every few minutes, vomitting, abdominal pain and stomach was distended. the darn er nurse was so mean to me by making me wait in the waiting room and I couldn't even sit. I couldn't sit, and I couldn't stand and couldn't lay comfortably. it was horrible. they wouldn't give me a bed until I was registered.
    so they kept me in the hospital with restrictions of solid food for days. I was starving. they wouldn't even let me have a cracker.
    only liquids. and remember, one can never get rest in a hospital. so don't expect a good nights sleep there. the sooner you move around and walk, the sooner they'll let you go home. so remember to WALK, WALK, WALK, as much as you possibly can to get your stomach moving again.

hope I didn't scare you but I wish someone had warned me.
    I also wish my dr would've put me on hormone therapy immediatly.
    I was extremely sensitive and moody and cried over the least little thing.

I expected it to be so easy and don't know what on earth made me think this. I mean after all, it is major surgery we're talking about here.

read up on it as much as you can before making the decision of going in.

I now wish I had waited to go thru regular menopause vs surgical menopause. I had the choice. it wasn't like I had cancer. but I was suffering a long time gynocologicaly for yrs. I was always in pain and bleeding in between periods and having a chronic ovarian cyst and the other was totally destoryed along with the tube because of former cysts. plus I had adenomyosis which is very painful too. so it was a combination of things and I just couldn't take it anymore. I've had cysts burst and it's no fun. plus when they leaked the fluid, it irritated the insides. this one stubborn cyst was on my ovary for over a yr. it never really went away. we watched it by having trans vag ultra sounds every few months. I told her I wanted it OUT!

our bodies and threshold for pain and healing are all different so what happened to me may not necessarily happen to you.

good luck on your decision.

sincerely,
    Linda

Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
    diggerswife
    (female)

diggerswife HB User

Thank You So Much Linda For all your advice

Old 09-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
    Patcholi
    (female)

Patcholi HB User
    Smile Re: Early Hysterectomy

Hello there...I had my Hysterectomy when i was in my early 30s..it was the best thing health wise i had done...although it was just a womb removal..with positive thinking i had a speedy recovery....now in my early 40s i am in my menopause..but just ordered 'MACA' to help me... with the right advice and the right care & understanding us women can get through most things...

Old 10-08-2006, 01:31 AM   #5
    organic4life
    (female)

organic4life HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diggerswife
    Hi, I'm 27 yrs old and am schedule to have a complete hysterectomy in November, because of endometriosis. I am very nervous and was wondering if anyone could be some advice as to what to expect and how to handle it
    I will appriciate any advice given
    hello, you are too young for a hysterectomy. i'm 35 and also have endometriosis, my suggestion is that you look into some natural alternatives. as mentioned previously maca sounds like a good start. the foods we eat also affect our bodies, try organic food...

good luck!

Old 10-08-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
    gerrie
    (female)

gerrie HB User

Hi...I had a combined total hysterectomy with overies out/ rectal resection and j-pouch reconscrution this past June. I had problems with my cycle for years and when my gyn wanted to do the th back in 1996 my family and friends talked my out of it. Fast forward 2005. Had stricture in my rectum. Tests and drs opinions through May 2006 when it looked like rectal cancer. Drs said while having the rectal resection, good time for th and get rid of problems there, heavy bleeding, fibroids, pelvic pain and adeno. Had ga for surgery, colorectal surgeon and gyn/oncology surgeon attending. It turned out to be a 6 inch endometriosis mass attached and growing into rectal wall. I cant help but think if I had th in 1996 that I would have my rectum today. Don't fool around with endo. It can travel to other parts of the body. I was lucky I havn't had any menopause symtoms so far. Not on hrt as that can keep any endo cells alive and growing. Recovery wasn't as bad as I heard. A good additude and plenty of knowledge goes a long way. I was in the hospital 6 days. Three days after I was home I only needed tylenol. They incouraged walking next day after surgery. Walking helps the healing. Now I am so glad I had the operation. No more planning my days around my periods, pain gone. I have my life back. I take vitamin supplements for my bones. Recovery is different for everybody. At 6 weeks I was told by drs okay to resume nomal activities. Your body tells you if you try to much to soon, just listen to it. Good luck. I wish you all the best.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
    looneybin
    (female)

looneybin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerrie
    Hi...I had a combined total hysterectomy with overies out/ rectal resection and j-pouch reconscrution this past June. I had problems with my cycle for years and when my gyn wanted to do the th back in 1996 my family and friends talked my out of it. Fast forward 2005. Had stricture in my rectum. Tests and drs opinions through May 2006 when it looked like rectal cancer. Drs said while having the rectal resection, good time for th and get rid of problems there, heavy bleeding, fibroids, pelvic pain and adeno. Had ga for surgery, colorectal surgeon and gyn/oncology surgeon attending. It turned out to be a 6 inch endometriosis mass attached and growing into rectal wall. I cant help but think if I had th in 1996 that I would have my rectum today. Don't fool around with endo. It can travel to other parts of the body. I was lucky I havn't had any menopause symtoms so far. Not on hrt as that can keep any endo cells alive and growing. Recovery wasn't as bad as I heard. A good additude and plenty of knowledge goes a long way. I was in the hospital 6 days. Three days after I was home I only needed tylenol. They incouraged walking next day after surgery. Walking helps the healing. Now I am so glad I had the operation. No more planning my days around my periods, pain gone. I have my life back. I take vitamin supplements for my bones. Recovery is different for everybody. At 6 weeks I was told by drs okay to resume nomal activities. Your body tells you if you try to much to soon, just listen to it. Good luck. I wish you all the best.
    Gerrie-
    Can you tell me what your symptoms were prior to your surgery? I've been told that I have endo based off of clinical symptoms, abdominal and pelvicc ultrasound both negative, but pain (most predominantly stabbing rectal pain) has reached the point of absolute distraction. I can no longer ignore the pain as it comes out of nowhere and can cause me to gasp in pain which is disturbing to anyone that happens to be present. I have an appointment with a GI doc for a workup 11/7. My gyn NP said the docs won't do a laproscope until the GI thing is ruled out. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #8
    gerrie
    (female)

gerrie HB User

Hi looneybin...My symptoms were a feeling of my rectum being slowly stretched, off and on sharp pain in the rectum, lower abdominal cramping, very uncomfortable when sitting. Also, a lower right pelvic pain that was thought by my GI dr as nothing to do with the mass in my rectum. GYN tests showed nothing wrong with my overy on that side to cause pain. After surgery, no more pelvic pain. One dr said pelvic pain was probally coming up from the rectum do to area endo had taken over. If you have to have rectal surgery, make sure you get a board certified colo-rectal surgeon. You want a surgeon who deals with this area only. If you have a teaching hospital near you that is a good place to check out. I went to Duke Medical Center in NC. It was a two hour ride one way but they had a colo-rectal team there that is just the best. It could make a big difference in your outcome. Hope this helps. I wish you all the best.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #9
    tertree
    (female)

tertree HB User

i had a complete hysterectomy 7 years ago dr gave me the option i had intense cramping every other month and major bleeding i had pre cancer cells, dysplasia...so he said when i was tired of the pain let him know and he would do the hysterectomy... surgery went well i had a migraine for a few days after but otherise it was uneventful...i was put on hormones before i ever left the operating room and stayed on them for a few years...i went off them a few years ago I am almost 43 now and while yes the surgery stopped my monthly pain and the hormones stopped the mood swings brought on by pms over all i felt better however in the past few years my health is going down hill i believe it has alot to do with not being on hormones. i have gone thru menopause which is awful!!! i have alot of bladder issues as it has dropped from not having anything in there to hold it up. wrinkles seemed to have appeared overnight on my upper lip< no joke they just showed up one day lol i guess what im trying to say is there are pluses and minus in having the surgery too early for women! if i had to do it over again i would have waited a few more years or at least not ever go off the hormones like i did.
    it also took several different hormones to find the one that was right for me. dr. had to double my dosage after he put me on premarin....but then i started having intestinal spasms and ended up in er one night felt like labor pains so he took me off premarin andput me on somethng else dont remember the name it was a patch it did work and i stayed on it until another dr put me back on premarin but a smaller dose and i stayed on it until a few years ago when i decided to go all natural...Big mistake lol
    Good luck on your surgery...just follow your dr.s orders and you will be fine!

Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
    SabrinaG
    (female)

SabrinaG HB User

HI...I am 28 and my hysterectomy is in 2 weeks. He is also doing something to my bladder because I pee when I sneeze, cough or laugh to hard. He is taking my uterus and cervix. He is leaving my one ovary I still have. July 1st I have emerg surgery for a 4 inch cyst on my ovary that was about to burst, I lost my ovary with that surgery. As each day passes I get more and more scared, and think maybe I should back out of it, even though I know its for the best, for all of us.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #11
    Nicliz
    (female)

Nicliz HB User

Hi I am 19 years old and new to this site

I had a hysterectomy January 05 at 17 years old due to severe Endometriosis. I still have my ovaries left. Unfortunately the endo didnt disapear with the hysterectomy and it is back with a vengeance i am at my wits end now

Nic xxx

Last edited by moderator2; 11-15-2006 at 06:53 AM.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
    diggerswife
    (female)

diggerswife HB User

Well I had my hysterectomy, I don't know if I feel better or worse. The Dr. said she could not put me on any HRT because she was unable to get out all the endo. I'm not sure what to do the hot flashes are killing me, and I am so emotional all the time. Please give me some advice, can I be put on anything?

Closed Thread