It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Enlarged Uterus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
    annjenks
    (female)

annjenks HB User
    Enlarged Uterus

I've had problems with heavy bleeding in the past. Went to the Dr. six months ago for a check up when the bleeding at that time was gone almost completely. He put me on Prometrium because he said I was estrogen dominant. The bleeding was terrible. I ended up having a D&C and a hysteroscopy. Went back to the Doc and he said my uterus was the size of a 12 week pregnancy. He out me on the pill to "bide time" but I had the heavy bleeding again so I stopped. Now no bleeding and the Doctor has mentioned Hysterectomy. Does anyone know why I would need a hysto if I don't have any other problems accept enlarged uterus?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
    crissytd
    (female)

crissytd HB User
    Re: Enlarged Uterus

Probably because your heavy bleeding will not go away, but escalate at some point. The decision is up to you, but if you can live with the heavy bleeding then don't have the surgery. You should keep an eye on your blood work though to make sure you aren't deficient in any area. Mines was enlarged to the point of pain and I also had fibroids. Your enlarged uterus will eventually touch other organs and may cause other problems or discomfort.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
    pamrel
    (female)

pamrel HB User

i have a uterus the size of a 10 week pregnant woman and two fibroids and i am having a hysterectomy on the 28th because i bled for 18 days and am really scared of my nxt period to find out what its going to be like tomorrow its due but is it going to happen i hope not till the hysterectomy and then non at all

Old 04-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
    Kimmie22
    (female)

Kimmie22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annjenks View Post
    I've had problems with heavy bleeding in the past. Went to the Dr. six months ago for a check up when the bleeding at that time was gone almost completely. He put me on Prometrium because he said I was estrogen dominant. The bleeding was terrible. I ended up having a D&C and a hysteroscopy. Went back to the Doc and he said my uterus was the size of a 12 week pregnancy. He out me on the pill to "bide time" but I had the heavy bleeding again so I stopped. Now no bleeding and the Doctor has mentioned Hysterectomy. Does anyone know why I would need a hysto if I don't have any other problems accept enlarged uterus?
    I'm having the same problem except I bleed for over 67 days & I'm currently not bleeding now for over 7 days . I had test and there are no fibroids ovaries are fine & just a enlarged uterus the size of 12 weeks old. My doc recommends a partial hysterectomy but Im not sure it's needed yes i know my uterus can effect other organs eventually i guess .. still so unsure

Old 04-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
    sunnydaze1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
    Smile Re: Enlarged Uterus

All I can say is that it's the best thing I have ever done for myself! Had an SAH in January and to be able to have my life back and not be thinking about where the next restroom is wherever I go, is almost surreal.

Not telling you to just go ahead and do it w/o fully investigating your own problem first, but don't believe all the horror stories you read and hear. I'm here to say that I wish I'd have had the courage to do it five or six years ago. Life is wonderful!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
    Triple777
    (female)

Triple777 HB User

Before you can make an informed decision to have a hysterectomy, you need to know all the possible consequences. While some women report feeling better, many do not and have all kinds of complications. They basically trade one problem for a worse problem. It is a major life-altering surgery with a long recuperation time. It is best to educate yourself and get multiple opinions. There are many alternatives which can be far better for your overall health if you need something done.

If they only remove your uterus, often the blood supply is cut off to your ovaries and HRT does not replicate what your ovaries do. It has been well documented that a hysterectomy increases your risk of heart disease and osteoporosis. Many women have severe bowel and urinary problems afterwards. When they amputate your female organs, a lot of ligaments are severed along with the huge blood supply that goes to your uterus and controls many parts of your body. Nerves are cut which can cause all kinds of sensations and sexual dysfunction because you will no longer have uterine contractions during orgasm. By amputating the uterus, the bowel and bladder shift down and the bladder has to be attached to something depending on where your doctor decides to attach it. A hysterectomy like any other surgery can result in death. There is always that risk. It's really something that should be considered only after every option has been exhausted.

I have had chronic pelvic pain for about 5 months. It hurts from my hip bones all across my lower abdominal area. It's sore and it feels like pins are being stuck into my stomach most of the time. I have also had vaginal atrophy because the lack of estrogen has weakend my vaginal tissue. They prescribe HRT for this, but when you read the risks of taking it, you find out you've just added to your problems. It increases your chances of breast cancer, along with blood clots and other complications. Every time I would try to cut the dose, I would have severe vaginal and urinary problems. I have just started using cream hoping that will help so I can dose down on the oral HRT which has so many health risks. I have also had sexual dysfunction because they cut the top of your vagina and sew it together after amputating your cervix and uterus. Many nerves are cut and who knows which ones they will be?

I have a friend who had a hysterectomy about 11 years ago, and since has been to a half a dozen urologists because she cannot hardly urinate. Unfortunately, that is not uncommon when your bladder support is gone and it is sewn to something.

Listen to all the stories, educate yourself and search the web for hysterectomy: alternatives, consequences, statistics, etc. It's better to keep your body intact unless there's a life-threatening reason to alter it. A hysterectomy is a major chemical alteration of your body and alteration of your digestive system. Some women are pleased with the results, many are not and have life-long complications.

Take care of yourself, good luck.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

An alternative to hysto is Uterine Artery Embolization (UAE). I had it done last April. I did not have heavy bleeding but did have fibroids that were pressing on the bladder, making it difficult to go. UAE shrinks the fibroids by cutting off their blood supply. - This procedure is done by an Interventional Radiologist. That may be why your gyno has not mentioned it, although gynos are aware of this procedure. I assume your bleeding is from fibroids. Did they do a uterine ultrasound to see?

Anyway, UAE is one alternative and much less invasive than hysto.
    Good luck to you.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
    lynnz1954
    (female)

lynnz1954 HB User

I had an enlarged uterus with second degree uterine prolapse, eight weeks postop vaginal hysterectomy, bladder lift and repair rectocoele. It is a very slow recovery but I am doing well, with just a bit a lower back discomfort. My uterus was 370 gm, normal uterus is 80 gm, my doctor said it was enormus, he almost had to do an abdominal incision to get it out. The prolapse scenario is brutal and it will only get worse as you get older if this is the case.

Closed Thread