It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Tummy Tuck with Hysterectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
    roxy65
    (female)

roxy65 HB User
    Tummy Tuck with Hysterectomy

Hi, I am undergoing a hysterectomy with a tummy tuck in August. I am
    going to be on a blood thinner because I have varicose veins, and my surgeon is concerned about blood clots because of the length of the surgery.
    Anybody else have this problem, or heard about this? Any info would be
    appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User
    Re: Tummy Tuck with Hysterectomy

Can't give you advice on the blood thinners, etc but just wanted to wish you much luck during your surgery. I had my tummy tuck with my hysterectomy and I have had no regrets doing it this way. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days to recover which was nice especially since they put me in the plastic surgical suites (not the general hospital rooms) and insurance covered that part for me. Wishing you much luck and hopefully someone will be able to answer your question. take care

Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
    roxy65
    (female)

roxy65 HB User

Thanks for the reply river525. I am excited but nervous, for the tummy tuck.
    I am almost 42 yrs old and sooo sick of my poochy belly! Doesn't matter
    what I do, I can't lose weight. I've saved my money for a along time for this!
    How long did your surgery take? No complications?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

Gosh I can't remember how long it took - maybe 4 hours?? Do you have a plastic surgeon doing yours and your GYN doing your hyst? That's what I did and it worked great. My PS did the first incision and then my GYN did what he needed to do and then my PS finished up taking away my belly,lol. And no I didn't have any complications whatsoever. My HUGE hint for you is to buy an elevated toliet seat for when you get home b/c your stomach will be so tight it will hurt sitting down that far and getting back up without something to hold onto. It was a life saver for me that and a shower stool. If you got any other questions, just ask.....have a great weekend

Old 08-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
    roxy65
    (female)

roxy65 HB User

Hi. Only 2 days to go. Pretty excited. I ordered a toilet seat riser like you said, now looking for a shower stool. What great ideas! I bought some body butter and vitamin e oil for the scar, and my ps told me to throw away the oil
    because it makes the scar thicker. He said to use tape. Never heard of tape
    reducing scars before, but will give it a try. My hyst. surgeon starts and when
    he is finished the ps comes in and takes over. I am the last surgery of the day
    so they are letting me stay over night. They opted for same day surgery which is a bummer. I wanted to stay a couple days. Will keep you updated
    on the surgery.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

Sounds like you are prepared!! I can't believe they were going to try and do this same day surgery........I'm glad you are last on the schedule so you can stay overnight. Take advantage of that and do NOT be afraid to ask for pain meds, etc. while you are in the hospital b/c once you are home the pain meds won't be as strong and you don't want your pain to get away from your control. I will say if you are not up to going home the next day your doctor (GYN) can call your insurance company and request an extra day so don't be afraid to ask. They did this for me and I ended up staying 4 nights and it made a huge difference being pampered by the nurses, etc. (But I'm a baby when it comes to all this, lol)

YES YES on the silicone tape for your scars. Do not waste your money though on the name brand. I used the Walgreen and CVS brands and they worked just as good and except for the packaging I saw no difference - except of course the cost. Do not start the tape though until you are completely healed (no scabs, etc.) b/c once the tape is on it is on and ripping it off with scabs will cause more scarring and hurt. Hope that makes sense.

Good luick and all I can say is stay ahead of the pain and take those pain pills even if you don't think you need them the first few days or so. And get ready for a new FLAT stomach!!

If you got any other last minute questions let me know and if I don't hear from you before the big day - PLEASE let me know how it went when you are able to. Take care

Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
    roxy65
    (female)

roxy65 HB User

Hi River, had the surgery on Thurs. and got to stay in the hospital untill Sun. aftrenoon. My pulse and temp. was high and my oxygen level was low.
    Other than that, everything went well. My tummy looks great! Can't believe
    how flat it is. Great advice on the shower stool and toilet riser. They work great. Would be so hard to get up without them. Went to the p.s. yesterday
    and had the tubes removed. THAT was not pleasant! It felt like super hot
    fluid running through my abdomen. So glad to be rid of them though. All I could wear was dresses to hide the drain tube bottles. Now I live in sweats and t shirts. Soo comfortable. How long before you healed? I can't wai till I
    can start working out to get my tummy and hips into shape. To be able to wear cute clothes again! Thanks so much for all the great advice and tips.
    Hope you have a great week.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

Woooo hoooo -- you made it and got to stay in the hospital too!! Yep those tubes coming out is sickening isn't it? Heck I had my tubes in for a few weeks b/c of fluid/swelling so you must have started in much better shape than me when I had mine done. Sweats are wonderful aren't they?? Be glad your not here where it is a lovely 103 degrees for the 2nd week in a row where all the grass is dead and crunchy, lol.

As far as working out - wow I would definitely listen to your doctor on that one. Its been so long for me I honestly can't remember and I'm a big sissy with pain so I'd hate to even guess. Swelling will be an issue for a bit so keep that in mind.

I am so happy that all went well (minus the fever & oxygen, ) Isn't having a tummy tuck a nice little gift to yourself for having to have the hysterectomy?? ENJOY and keep me posted on your recovery!!

Old 08-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #9
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Wow, I'm looking at the possibility of a hyster and now I'm wondering about a tummy tuck too! What a great idea! I'm so sick of this pooch I got since menopause came on -- I am 44.

Can I ask, did insurance cover any of it? What was the cost?

Does a tummy tuck get rid of that pooch?

Old 08-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

Yes a tummy tuck gets rid of the "pooch" - a tummy tuck is wonderful -painful but worth it

Your insurance will cover your hysterectomy but will not cover the plastic surgeons' fees. My GYN and plastic surgeon worked together and in doing so I had my hospital stay covered along with a large part of the anesthesia costs; saving me a lot of money. I still had to pay for my plastic surgeons cost and some of the hospital fees out of my pocket. If I had to guess, I probably saved around $2,000 in having the procedures done at the same time but I honestly can't remember as it has been almost 7 years ago.

I would do it again in a heartbeat as this was the best thing I have ever done for myself and having the tummy tuck was a wonderful gift for having to have a hysterectomy. I was 36 years old when I had mine.

I will say since I did do the tummy tuck at the same time my hysterectomy was done through the abdomen area rather than vaginal so it was a more involved surgery (recovery time and pain). I was in the hospital for 4 days but honestly I loved it b/c I was being pampered and had the best pain meds!!

Hope this helps answer some of your questions

Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #11
    Mistyeyze
    (female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Yes, it does answer some questions, thank you!

I see the gyn on the 10th so I am going to ask about this. I would love to get rid of this pooch. I mean if I have to have surgery anyway

Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

Good deal!! Let me know how your appt goes and what you decide....

Closed Thread