It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Help! Hysterectomy, Rectocele, and Cystocele Repair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
    uga4fun
    (female)

uga4fun HB User
    Question Help! Hysterectomy, Rectocele, and Cystocele Repair

I am scheduled for surgery to repair a rectocele and cystocele, and have a total hysterectomy (oopharectomy). I am like everyone else looking for answers. I believe I am going through menapause (has not been bad) and may be on the verge of having completed. Every time I talk to someone or read about all the procedures, I start to question my decision to have the oopherectomy. I then question whether to have it the procedures done vaginally. I have had I c-section and I have the pooch (the surgeon said he could remove the extra skin and make it tighter / this is not a real tummy tuck). I've been told I may have a very small incision, even if the procedure is done vaginally. If what I have read is true with most women's surgery, the vaginal route can cause sexual discomfort for both partners, then why go this route? Also, I am young fisically and have read much about the issues oopharectomies have on advancing the age process. What have you seen? Any info will help. Thanks

Last edited by Mo-S4; 05-23-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
    Judyl1951
    (female)

Judyl1951 HB User
    Re: Help! Hysterectomy, Rectocele, and Cystocele Repair

Hi, I recently had a restocele and cystocele, 7 weeks ago. My dr told me that I would be in surgery for two hrs and probably be in the hospital 23 hrs. I got out 6 days later. All he kept telling me " I don't know what happened" I am in therapy now. I'm getting stronger but I still have pain on my bottom. I have some nerve damage in my left leg. I was wondering if I could hear from you to see how you are getting along. I am just beside myself because I don't know what to do. Any help or info would be appreciated

Last edited by Judyl1951; 11-13-2007 at 12:13 PM.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
    Judyl1951
    (female)

Judyl1951 HB User

Hi, I recently had a restocele and cystocele, 7 weeks ago. My dr told me that I would be in surgery for two hrs and probably be in the hospital 23 hrs. I got out 6 days later. All he kept telling me " I don't know what happened" I am in therapy now. I'm getting stronger but I still have pain on my bottom. I have some nerve damage in my left leg. I was wondering if I could hear from you to see how you are getting along. I am just beside myself because I don't know what to do. I would just like to talk to other women who have had this same surgery. Any info would help

Old 12-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
    aleet7
    (female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judyl1951 View Post
    Hi, I recently had a restocele and cystocele, 7 weeks ago. My dr told me that I would be in surgery for two hrs and probably be in the hospital 23 hrs. I got out 6 days later. All he kept telling me " I don't know what happened" I am in therapy now. I'm getting stronger but I still have pain on my bottom. I have some nerve damage in my left leg. I was wondering if I could hear from you to see how you are getting along. I am just beside myself because I don't know what to do. I would just like to talk to other women who have had this same surgery. Any info would help
    OK, I'm scared now! I have a rectocele and a cystocele and am scheduled for surgery in a couple weeks! Judy, how are you coming along since the surgery? There's a post somewhere on here with others who've had the same surgery. We both probably need to read how their recoveries went.
    I hope that you are much better!!!!

Aleet7

Old 12-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

You are having a lot done so I am not surprised they are doing an abdominal on you. I had an abdominal hysterectomy years ago with removal of one ovary however I was young so it was nice not to go through menopause. But if both your ovaries are still good I wonder why they are removing them?...I wouldn't. I had to have one removed because it had a big cyst on it at the time.
    The surgery left a short incision... about 3 inches long running up and down. I would certainly go for the abdominal surgery so you can have your 'tummy tuck" I at first had my tubes tied but some of the deep sutures broke so it healed with a big 'hole' and it looked stupid so when I went on to have the hysterectomy he fixed the flaws from the first so that was nice. Good luck with your surgery. I would really keep my ovaries if there is nothing wrong with them no matter what stage of life you are in. Doctors seem to think of the what if's and I say well if something happens then I will have those removed but not until then. I too am a nurse of many years but mine is psych background. Anyway, good luck with your surgery and recovery. You'll be like a new women!

Old 12-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
    Judyl1951
    (female)

Judyl1951 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aleet7 View Post
    OK, I'm scared now! I have a rectocele and a cystocele and am scheduled for surgery in a couple weeks! Judy, how are you coming along since the surgery? There's a post somewhere on here with others who've had the same surgery. We both probably need to read how their recoveries went.
    I hope that you are much better!!!!

Aleet7
    I am feeling better, but I still have pain and I can't cross my legs for very long. I have two large veins that get enlarged and hurt. I think I have problems because of my weight . The dr said it was because I was so small and my crotch area was small. Good luck to you and let me know how things go.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
    aleet7
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judyl1951 View Post
    I am feeling better, but I still have pain and I can't cross my legs for very long. I have two large veins that get enlarged and hurt. I think I have problems because of my weight . The dr said it was because I was so small and my crotch area was small. Good luck to you and let me know how things go.
    Hi Judy!
    I'm concerned about having the surgery but I'm also kind of anxious because I'm hurting real bad! The pressure in my seat and the tenderness with aching is driving me nuts! My doc ordered me a pessary and I don't know what's taking so long for me to get it! I need something right now because this is affecting my every day living!

I read a post about some ladies saying that 14 weeks post op and they are still hurting and scared to have sex with their husbands! This concerned me! I did talk to a nurse at the office and she said that what some of the ladies were going through wasn't the norm. Plus I think that a lot depends on individuals, docs etc... I just want to have the surgery and get it over with. At first I was told that I had a prolapsed uterus. After three oppinions I have a prolapsed uterus, rectocele and cystocele!
    I read that you have nerve damage! OMG that is awful!!! I understand that there are risks involved but we have to weigh the risks with the benefits I guess. Anyhow, I hope that you feel better soon. I hope to tell you that I'm doing fine after the surgery!
    Aleet7

Old 12-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
    Judyl1951
    (female)

Judyl1951 HB User

Hi again, I am glad to hear from you again. After I had my surgery I wanted to talk to somebody that had gone through the same thing just so I would know how I was suppose to feel.
    I rushed to have the surgery and didn't look into it enough. My doctor had only done 15 or so of these surgeries and he made it sound so simple. I asked him how much down time I would have and he said you can have sex in 2 weeks. Yeah, right! I was scared to death to have sex. Finally after 8 weeks we tried. It's not the same.
    May I ask how old you are? I am 56 and have three children. My bladder was starting to hang out so thats why I went to the doctor. Its really hard to say if I had it to do over would I do it again? My urologist did my surgery.
    I also had something called vaginal scaral fixation.
    I know the first time I was able to get up my bottom felt like it was falling off. I couldn't get out of bed for four days. I had my surgery on Sept 25th, so maybe I will get back to normal some day. I just needed to go to a different doctor and different hospital(in Indianapolis) I would do that for sure
    I really hope you get along okay. good luck

Last edited by Judyl1951; 12-26-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
    aleet7
    (female)

Hi Judy!
    I'm 43 with 4 kids(all vaginal). My doc is a urogyny and is supposed to be a foremost authority on the mesh procedure. He teaches others how to do it(he was the first in our state to learn and perform the mesh procedure)!
    My bladder is showing also. I went to 2 other docs and they only focused on the prolapse uterus and never noticed the cystocele and rectocele!
    I'm praying that I won't have so much down time after surgery because I don't have any family or good friends in state that would be willing to help me. Right now I'm still a soccer mom driving my kids to practices and everything. I even have a 3 year old and 7 year old to tend to so I'm praying that I'll heal quickly! This board has helped me talk to others who have been through the procedure so that I could get an idea of what I have to face. My next appointment is Jan. 10th and i will be having a urethral pressure test done. Then I'll find out when my doc plans to do the surgery. My mom really doesn't want me to have the surgery because she can't be here for me(my stepdad is very ill and they live out of state)! Did you have help during the first week after surgery?
    Aleet7
    Thanks for all your valuable info!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
    Judyl1951
    (female)

Judyl1951 HB User

Hi
    Sounds like you will be in good hands with your doctor. I would ask him how much down time he thinks you will have. I think the surgery affected me so bad because it seems like I always have the worst luck that way. The needle he used had to of caused my nerve damage, but that part seems to be better. I still wear sweat pants most of the time because my crotch area still bothers me. If I ride in a car for over a couple of hours or walk a lot it bothers me. My husband helped me a lot, he took off work the first day then came home early some. I also had help from one of my daughters. I really think you might need help. Its according to how fast you spring back. I guess everybody is different. I weight 124 lbs and I usually have a harder time. Remember I was in the hospital for six days, so when I came home I was very weak. I threw my pain pills away after two days at home but I had a morphine pump at the hospital plus they tried to give me other pain pills but I wouldn't take them. I still had pain even when I took them. I hope I am not scaring you. Just talk to your doctor will be the best thing. Good luck Judy

Old 12-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
    aleet7
    (female)

Thank you Judy! I will ask the doc how much down time to expect. I did keep in mind that you were in the hospital for 6 days(that's pretty scary to me)! I hope that you continue to get better and eventually have no problems with the nerve damage!
    Best Wishes Judy!
    Aleet

Old 12-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
    bemur55
    (female)

bemur55 HB User
    Smile Re: Help! Hysterectomy, Rectocele, and Cystocele Repair

Hi there! I am 4.5 weeks post-op after having a cystocele repair with TVT, a conventional rectocele repair, and Gynecare Prolift to strengthen my vaginal wall to support my prolapsed uterus. All was done vaginally. My dr. told me that he would only want to remove the uterus if it was diseased, which it wasn't, so that is still intact. Part of me wishes he had taken it out so I wouldn't have to deal with my period anymore!!!! (I'm 52 and have been peri-menopausal for 10 years!) Anyway, it was a 2.5 hr surgery, and I was in the hospital for 31 hours. They were going to keep me another night if I didn't completely empty my bladder, and if my nausea from the anesthesia didn't subside, so I ate lots of saltines, had some beef broth, took my pain pills, and managed to get home. I started working from home at the computer for half days one week post-op, should have worked fewer hours as the bottom tends to get sore. Went back to the office full time after 3 weeks, still sore to sit too long, but not nearly as bad as at first, and only sometimes as bad as before the surgery. Before the surgery I had a lot of back and pelvic pain and pressure, to the point where I just wanted to cry all the time. I am still taking ibuprofen and tylenol on a fairly regular basis, but as I said the pain isn't as bad as beforehand. My only real complaint right now is some rectal pain when I sit for too long, so I try to take many breaks while I work. The nicest thing so far is no more leaking when I sneeze or cough, and normal bowel movements!! I was told no intercourse for 6-8 weeks, so I haven't reached that point yet. He said a vaginal estrogen cream would help relieve any pain that might occur, so we'll see. He also put me on Loestrin 24 for 1 month starting the day after the surgery to help the healing and prevent my period, which was due the next week. I have since had it, and now have just a teeny bit of spotty discharge, not much at all.
    I am glad I had the surgery, and I hope all goes well for you.
    Barb

Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
    aleet7
    (female)

Wow Barb!!!!
    Thank you so much for sharing that!!!!! I mean really, I have been talking to Judy about her surgery and trying to get some idea of what I have to look forward to. I had two docs tell me that I needed a Hysterectomy because of the uterine prolapse but why if it's not diseased! That's why I went to a third doc about my situation and he was the only one that said I could keep my uterus but also needs repair for a cystocele and rectocele which the other docs totally overlooked! I've been totally miserable with all the pain and pressure that I have daily not to mention the bowel troubles and leaking!!
    My doc is going to do the gynecare prolift and I'm feeling a tad more confident about getting it done now. I'm at a point where I want to feel somewhat normal again! I've been suffering with all these symptoms for 3 months now and I'm so tired of it. I really appreciate you and Judy enlightening me on this procedure. I hope that you continue to have a speedy recovery. I have a feeling that I'll be very happy that I had this procedure done!!!!!

Best Wishes,
    Aleet

Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #14
    bemur55
    (female)

bemur55 HB User

You are quite welcome! I hope it goes as well for you as it seems to have for me. I go for a post-op checkup in 2 weeks - I'll let you know how that goes! Keep me posted on your progress as well. When do you go in?
    Best,
    Barb

Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
    boodle2
    (female)

boodle2 HB Userboodle2 HB User

I am just wondering what everyones symptoms were. I am having this feeling of always having to have a bowel movement CONSTANTLY!! and it is very uncomfortable, does anyone else have the same symptom?

Closed Thread