It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Complication with Cystocele Repair/Hysterectomy Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
    mom2eck
    (female)

mom2eck HB User
    Complication with Cystocele Repair/Hysterectomy Surgery

I had a combo surgery in October. Both a Cystocele Repair and a Hysterctomy at the same time. My hysterctomy went fine, however, I have since had a second surgery (Christmas Eve) to repair the vaginal incision made to do the cyctocele. I am 6 weeks out from the second surgery and, again, the incision did not close. This leaves my sling hanging into my vagina. I will see my doctor this week, but am looking for anyone else who has had this kind of complication. Any advice? I am wondering if I should seek a plastic surgeon to get this to heal. My 6 weeks of recovery has been 16 weeks and I am very frustrated at the idea of 6 more, after another surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
    Momof2sons
    Veteran
    (female)

Momof2sons HB User
    Re: Complication with Cystocele Repair/Hysterectomy Surgery

mom2eck,
    I dont have personal experience of this condition inparticular, but had MAJOR issues following hyst/bladder sling repair.
    But from talking with others on YOUR situation, it sounds like "MAYBE" your body is rejecting the sling it self..and its erroding the vaginal wall? That can happen rarely. Others that this has happened to, they have had to have the sling replaced with another material (different type of sling).
    What kind of sling do you have? I had mine done in 1998, and at that time they used My own fasia to create the sling, so didnt have problems with rejection. However my bladder never regained function, due to apparent nerve damage during the surgery. I have been self cathing for 10 years now.
    How is your bladder functioning at this time? Do they have you self cathing, or are you able to go on your own?
    I wish you the best, You MAY be able to find some info on the net doing a search of bladder sling erosion and see if that fit your symptoms?
    Hope things get better for you SOON.
    Take care and God bless,
    Annette

Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
    mom2eck
    (female)

mom2eck HB User
    Re: Complication with Cystocele Repair/Hysterectomy Surgery

Annette,
    Thank you for your direction. I am sorry to hear about your experience. To answer your questions, this Avaulta sling has solved my bladder issues (so far). No more leaking, and no more releasing without notice. My situation might have been a little opposite of yours since I had no feeling in my bladder before surgery and got it back after. I spoke to my doctor about a possible rejection, however the incision has healed open 2 times, but the sling is covered and meshed with my skin okay. I'm going to research the rejection anyhow, thank you for the direction and advice. I saw my doctor this past week and he decided to do nothing. He gave me 4 months worth of antibiotic's and estrogen (which I don't need) - but it is suppose to increase the vaginal walls ability to heal itself. I haven't taken anything yet...I am concerned about the long term effects of being on an antibiotic for 4 months. He scheduled to see me again in 6 months. I'm very irritated with him. It's just strange to me to be walking around with a 4 inch opening.
    Blessings,
    Tammie

Closed Thread