It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board

• Need success stories for hyst/sling surgery!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
    pink2813
    (female)

pink2813 HB User
    Question Need success stories for hyst/sling surgery!

I am having a vaginal hyst/sling surgery in 5 days, and I would love to hear some success stories so I have a positive mindset going in. Cervix, uterus, ovaries are coming out. I'm worried about my recovery time (I plan to go back after 2.5 weeks), weight gain, I have a hard time asking for help and being a burden to people.

My bosses are women and seem almost irritated that I may have to take extra time off. I know their job is to protect the orgainization, but as a certified "people pleaser" I'm afraid I'll "buck up" too soon, then crash. I did that after my gal bladder surgery and paid for it.

Any encouragement would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
    hearts4120
    (female)

hearts4120 HB User
    Re: Need success stories for hyst/sling surgery!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pink2813 View Post
    I am having a vaginal hyst/sling surgery in 5 days, and I would love to hear some success stories so I have a positive mindset going in. Cervix, uterus, ovaries are coming out. I'm worried about my recovery time (I plan to go back after 2.5 weeks), weight gain, I have a hard time asking for help and being a burden to people.

My bosses are women and seem almost irritated that I may have to take extra time off. I know their job is to protect the orgainization, but as a certified "people pleaser" I'm afraid I'll "buck up" too soon, then crash. I did that after my gal bladder surgery and paid for it.

Any encouragement would be appreciated.
    Hi, first off best of luck to you. Your positive mindset will serve you well. I had a abdominal hysterectomy in 2000 and they took everything. I had no residual problems whatsoever. I tolerated the HRT well. The only problem I had was when I recently went off HRT for six weeks because of a back surgery. Once I went back on I was just fine. I did not have any weight gain, sexual dysfunction, or other problems. My recovery time from the actual surgery was about six weeks. Each week got easier though.
    Best of luck to you.
    Lori

DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Fibromyalgia,
    ALIF surgery on December 10, 2007, numerous Injections, SCS December 2010.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
    abeeson01
    (female)

abeeson01 HB User

Pink, I have no advice to offer other than try not to overdo it too soon. I'm sure your bosses would rather you be out for 4-6 weeks versus 4-6 months or longer because you felt the need to rush back to work. I am having my vaginal hysterectomy in about 3 weeks (very nervous). I have already planned to take my three remaining weeks of vacation to recover and then go back on "light duty" for a few more weeks since my position is very physically demanding. Just be cautious and do what is best for YOU! (I really don't think 2.5 weeks is going to be a long enough recovery time) Keep in touch and let us know how things are going!

Best wishes....I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
    pink2813
    (female)

pink2813 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I'm nervous about the recovery time and I'll consider what you said about taking more time off. What are your reasons for having your surgery?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
    abeeson01
    (female)

abeeson01 HB User

Quote:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm nervous about the recovery time and I'll consider what you said about taking more time off. What are your reasons for having your surgery?
    I am having my surgery due to possible cervical cancer (severe dysplaysia), extremely heavy periods, severe abdominal/pelvic pain, and recurring ovarian cycsts on my right ovary.

My doctor performed a LEEP about three weeks ago. I have still not gotten the results back from that procedure so I am still not positive whether or not I have cervical cancer.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
    pink2813
    (female)

pink2813 HB User

Wow, that's scarey. If you do have cancer, will there be anything you have to do after your cervix comes out?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
    abeeson01
    (female)

abeeson01 HB User

Quote:
    Wow, that's scarey. If you do have cancer, will there be anything you have to do after your cervix comes out?
    Pink, I am not sure what the next step is going to be (aside from the hysterectomy). My doctor and I haven't discussed that just yet. As I stated previously, it has been 3 weeks since my LEEP and I STILL haven't got any results. I honestly don't know what to think. Is the news so good that they don't feel the need to call me or is it so bad that they rather give me the news in the office on my next appt. (March 31st) I said Friday that if I didn't hear anything then, I was going to call the doctor Monday (tomorrow). Well, the closer tomorrow gets, the more afraid of calling I am. I guess I'll make up my mind eventually. I want to know but then again I don't.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
    pink2813
    (female)

pink2813 HB User

I think I understand. I think it's probably better to call anyway. The sooner you know you don't have cancer, the sooner you can relax. The sooner you know you do, the sooner you can realize we all just live one day at a time anyway, and that you'll still put one foot in front of the other and do what the doctors say to do. I'll pray for you.
    pink

Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
    jill60
    (female)

jill60 HB User

Pink2813, I had everything you are having done. My urologist didn't even see me for the first time until 3 wks after surgery. I can't imagine going back to work at 2.5 wks. I was off 6 wks. & the Dr. said it might be 8 wks. At 2.5 wks I was barely able to sit down! I also have a very high pain tolerance.

Good luck

P.S. Get some tucks to have on hand when you go home!

Last edited by jill60; 03-16-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
    jill60
    (female)

jill60 HB User
    Re: abeeson01

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abeeson01 View Post
    I am having my surgery due to possible cervical cancer (severe dysplaysia), extremely heavy periods, severe abdominal/pelvic pain, and recurring ovarian cycsts on my right ovary.

My doctor performed a LEEP about three weeks ago. I have still not gotten the results back from that procedure so I am still not positive whether or not I have cervical cancer.
    Dear Abeeson01,
    yrs ago I had severe dysplaysia, which means there are abnormal cells, My insurance wouldn't pay for me to go to the hospital to have surgery so my Dr. had to rent a laser machine & I went to his office & they did laser surgery on my cervix while I lay there wide awake! You are then suppose to have a pap smear every three months for 9 months (or this was my experience) I didn't make it through the 2nd pap & it came back bad & I had to have the laser surgery all over again. I was a newly wed, had had my pap before we got married & then I think I got the news 3 wks after our honeymoon. I couldn't have sex for 6 weeks after each of the laser surgeries. Poor DH!
    Everything came out fine & I have never had a bad pap since & that was 15 years ago. I wish you good luck & will be thinking of you!
    Jill60

Last edited by jill60; 03-16-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Closed Thread